The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm Reviews

• May 29, 2019

Processed in cinemascope, so audiences with only widescreen will see the "lines" created by the three strips of film... As you might expect, children loved this movie.

• Sep 01, 2018

MGM and Cinerama collaborated on this lavish musical fantasy, the first fictional Cinerama film. Animator George Pal also produced some magical stop-motion puppetry including - in the film's best sequence - a fire-breathing dragon which battles Terry-Thomas and Buddy Hackett. Laurence Harvey and Karl Boehm play the brothers in the dramatic sequences, which tend to drag.

• Dec 07, 2014

Goes to show how good Disney really is.

Goes to show how good Disney really is.

• Jul 08, 2013

Very charming. 1st widescreen movie to be released. The acting is a little hokey but I relate to the message. There's a moment in the film when his characters come visit him. We all long for these fictional characters were real somehow. And if you created the characters you long to meet them so much more. Be ready to fast forward. Some scenes (like dance sequences) draaaaaaaag on.

• Feb 24, 2013

Entertaining recreation of Brothers Grimm stories intermixed with their own lives. The fairy tales are the more entertaining part of the film, particularly the "Puppetoons" segments. Filmed in Cinerama, the frame is ridiculously wide and it not used to much effect outside of having supporting characters standing on the fringes to fill out the frame. Still, it's an entertaining enough of children's film.

• Feb 19, 2013

Cinerama-big & star packed...but draggy.

Cinerama-big & star packed...but draggy.

• Dec 17, 2012

I saw this wonderful movie in 1962 at the cinerama theater in Pittsburgh, Pa.--the Warner Theater. I was twelve years old and I loved it madly! It was my favorite movie of all time (for then.) There had never been a movie like it before. My parents had taken us to see cinerama before, but mainly they were just thrill rides (This Is Cinerama,) or travelogues (Seven Wonders of the World.) This was the first cinerama film with a plot--a regular movie, but so much more! It was just awesome and it blew me away. I still love it. And, by the way, none of us kids thought it was too long--it had an intermission, as many movies then did.

• Nov 21, 2010

Finally finished this (it's 2 1/2 hours long). The fairy tales were kind of interesting, but the story about the brothers was boring and went on way too long. Won the Oscar for Best Costumes.

• Oct 29, 2010

Joy-filled, loose bio-pic of the Brothers Grimm & how they gathered their now-iconic legends & fairy-tales. The film mostly concerns itself with the personal lives of the brothers, but is intermittently peppered throughout with several of their stories brought to life in wonderfully creative ways, most notably, the last one, "The Singing Bone", the most comical of the offerings, featuring the always-amusing Terry-Thomas & Buddy Hackett as a cowardly knight & his loyal squire set off to kill the local (And beautifully-animated-) dragon. Packed with a superb cast mixed with beauties of the day (Yvette Mimieux, Claire Bloom, Barbara Eden-) as well as some top-notch character actors & actresses (Jim Backus, Oscar Homolka, Beulah Bondi, Walter Slezak, Otto Kruger, and most notably, the interesting & formidable Martita Hunt as Anna Richter, the aged story-teller who gives her tales to the Grimm siblings to share with the children of the world.) Marvelous & magical fun!

• Aug 13, 2010

Very original, emotional movie. Really a fairy tale. Good music and songs, too. The special effects, though groundbreaking in 1962, is now dated, but it's organic nature makes it fit in well with the movie.