Won't Back Down - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Won't Back Down Reviews

August 17, 2014
This movie was really annoying!
½ August 11, 2014
So glad I finally got to see this movie! Proves that there is truly power in numbers! We we all stand for something, change is inevitable.
August 5, 2014
I'm somewhere in the middle on this one. On one hand, this is a really interesting commentary on America's public school system. On the other hand, it got super anti-union and I felt like I needed to watch a documentary on the public school system in order to understand it. With the whole anti-union thing, I felt like it only showed the negative sides, and only mentioned the positives a few times, when it could have really opened up a debate about how unions are necessary, but policies should be looked over you know? This was also entirely too long. They easily could have shaved a half hour, possibly more off of this. Maggie Gyllenhaal and Viola Davis are good in this however. They're both concerned mothers who want what's best for their kid. There are some heart warming moments, but the big picture of the whole thing was just a little too big for this movie.
June 25, 2014
You rotten tomato critics suck! This movie was very good! It reaches people, y'all need to go back to "critics" school and learn what people really want to see!!!
June 24, 2014
Viola Davis and Maggie Gyllenhaal make a great team. Both are terrific actors and they do a very nice job playing off each other. I watched this movie with my wife and we both loved it.
½ May 29, 2014
It's got three award winning actresses and a true-ish story with noble intentions, what could go wrong? Bad direction and an even worse script. It's full of every cliche in the book and worst of all it dumbs down a very important current issue.
½ May 28, 2014
Maggie Gyllenhaal and Viola Davis were great as was the 'Burgh' as the backdrop!
May 26, 2014
My wife and I started watching this movie and got tired, so we decided to stop it and finish it another night. We never watched the rest. That is how uninterested I was in this movie.
May 19, 2014
Watched in Foundations of Curriculum & Instruction.
April 29, 2014
Lost interest in the middle but good ending. More about politics and reality.
April 7, 2014
Great to see Holly Hunter.
April 7, 2014
great movie and plot!
½ April 4, 2014
Stupid piece of crap with terrible acting
March 26, 2014
Very inspirational partly cause I am a dyslexic and also because my daughter has started school this year! A must for parents!
March 17, 2014
Wednesday, January 15, 2014

(2012) Won't Back Down
SOCIAL COMMENTARY DRAMA

It said accordingly to the beginning that the movie is inspired by true events, even though viewers don't get to see any of the characters in real life at the end of movie of the people the movie is based on. It stars Maggie Gyllenhaal as single mom, Jamie Fitzpatrick striving for an affordable private school for her daughter, since she's learning jack, while going into a public school system. Some of it was the result of the bullying, with the teacher who only cares about the paycheck, and not so much whether or not her students are learning anything. Oh yeah, and Jamie's daughter also happens to have a learning disorder too. What's so idiotic is that the so-called bad union wouldn't permit her to go into a different class, nor perhaps go to a different school. This movie is so anti-union and lopsided, there were times I felt like throwing up. I mean, while I was watching this, I couldn't stop wondering how did this one particular person, who appears to be a total douche, represent the union in the first place, since he doesn't seem to care about the objective of taking the job in the first place which is to make sure all children would get the same opportunities as other kids, which is called a proper education. Viola Davis also stars as one of few instructors who also has a son with learning disabilities, and Holly Hunter as the union secretary of some sort. The movie tries to balance right and left without directing the main problem to the gov't resulting to making the entire movie totally bias.

2 out of 4 stars
March 16, 2014
Reminded me why I went into the field of education and it wasn't because of the money it is because I want to help children.
½ March 3, 2014
3 3/4's--Very inspirational, and heartwarming. Made-for-tvish. A sad statement on the condition of the American education system, but depicts a good step for improvement. Well acted. Nicely done..
½ January 25, 2014
This was good. The side stories were distracting and not well-developed, but otherwise we enjoyed this.
½ January 24, 2014
a scripted bore that needs to take a lesson from Lean On Me.
½ January 19, 2014
a bit preachy and way too long but otherwise a nice effort at a very complicated issue that gives both sides time to say their peace