The Woodsman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Woodsman Reviews

August 19, 2013
Kevin Bacon is fantastic.
½ August 14, 2013
A film that leaves you to ask yourself many questions about the normal mind and instituted judgment of humanity
hunterjt13
July 20, 2013
A child molester adjusts to post-prison life and falls in love with a co-worker.
I applaud Kevin Bacon's choice because this is a ballsy role for a star whose paychecks are secure, but his performance, which is meant to be subtle and aching, comes off like he's squeezing too hard.
The film doesn't make Bacon's Walter a particularly admirable character nor is he someone we might love to hate. Instead, the film's central conflict is about getting Walter to realize the depravity of his own desires, which he does along the way, but his realization doesn't become actionable until the climactic scene. It's an interesting source for conflict, but it doesn't carry a lot of suspense.
Overall, though the film is admirable in its attempt, I wasn't too compelled by the final product.
July 18, 2013
Able to use delicate subject matter with grace and precision, "The Woodsman" is a controversial piece as much as it is an extraordinary film. Kevin Bacon proves his overwhelming skill as an actor by making his audience feel sorry for a pedophile, which isn't an easy feat. This film took a handful of risks and turned it into a finely tuned movie that should not be missed, even to those sensitive to the theme. This film is close to mastery but is bogged down, only a little, by an "acceptable" performance via Kyra Sedgwick.
June 28, 2013
I like that Bacon's real life wife is in this film.
½ June 26, 2013
Follows the Finkelhor model quite well
May 16, 2013
I watched this movie in a very bad mood but still it was quite depressing on it's own. You might feel a little sympathy for a pedophile whom you normally just want to strangle to death. So it was confusing to watch with mixed emotions.
½ May 2, 2013
Kevin Bacon is at his best in this remarkable little film about one man's struggle to come to terms with his demons.
½ April 28, 2013
Extremely controversial subject matter. Surprising that I don't remember it that well then.
½ April 17, 2013
bacon is outstanding in this portrayal of a man fighting his demons... highly recommended.
½ April 10, 2013
Kudos to Kevin Bacon for taking on such a risky role and one that so easily could limit future roles. Unfortunately, he has a script here that takes us to places that don't need to be explored other than for some voyeuristic thrill.
April 6, 2013
Tough to watch, but worth the effort for the masterful performances.
½ March 30, 2013
A REALLY different role for Kevin Bacon....disturbing subject but is a decent movie.
½ March 25, 2013
Ein guter und sozialkritisches Drama, dass ein Tabuthema aufgreift! Kevin Bacon spielt voller Intensität. Auch die anderen Schauspieler spielen gut. Wie geht man in der Gesellschaft mit so etwas um? Kann man solche Menschen überhaupt Resozialisieren? Kann man solche Menschen heilen? Wie würdet ihr das sehen? Wie würdet ihr euch entscheiden?
March 21, 2013
Some parts are obvious, but Bacon rises above the material. How this guy hasn't won, or even been nominated for an Oscar yet is totally beyond me.
February 17, 2013
While it may be hard to watch, one can't help but feel conflicted towards Bacon's much more realistic portrayal of something that is largely left undiscussed.
February 12, 2013
Haven't performance is wonderful if slightly creepy at times
February 10, 2013
I believe I read that this was based on a play, and I believe it. It's the kind of introspective character study that is very common in theater. Kevin Bacon in particular does an incredible acting job here, portraying a character you can't decide whether you hate or are kind of rooting for. There are no simple answers in this movie, no easy way out, but it's a fascinating movie that I feel sure will stick with me.
½ January 22, 2013
Kevin Bacon does a fine job and Kyra is actually really attractive in this film. But not much happens and there really isn't much in the way of excitement. I would have liked it a bit better if it wasn't for the fact that EVERY CHARACTER confides in someone we naturally - at least, insofar as society has taught us - would trust the least.