The Work of Director Chris Cunningham - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Work of Director Chris Cunningham Reviews

December 16, 2012
Genius music videos featuring the likes of Autechre, Aphex Twin & Squarepusher.
January 14, 2012
A slight collection of some of Cunningham's finest and freakiest work. Particular highlights include his work with Aphex Twin and his stunning Bjork collaboration. A director of unique visual sensibility who really should direct a feature film at some point.
June 12, 2011
There are only two directors out there that, when I'm about to see something of theirs for the first time, I actually get nervous. One is Takashi Miike, an absurdly genius director and the other is Chris Cunningham. And he's best known for his MUSIC VIDEOS..... that's right. His videos are like mini-nightmares that punch you in the face and then they're gone. This man can bring some of the most horrific things you've ever seen to life, all in the span of a song's length. Try watching his video for Aphex Twin's "Come to Daddy" and not feel your skin start to prickle. An old woman walks her dog around an abandoned factory where an old TV sparks into life and evil children start coming out of the shadows. Oh, and they all have Aphex Twin's bearded, grinning face. Even the girls. And then an emaciated 8-foot tall demon man comes out of the TV. And starts hugging the children. Yeah. I shit my pants. But as terrifying as his stuff can be, it can also be absolutely beautiful. Bjork's video for "All is Full of Love" is simply a robot Bjork being born in a factory (machinery is big with Cunningham). But combined with the song and the fluid motion of the machines, it's borderline angelic. Other highlights are Portishead's "Only You" and another offering of Aphex with "Windowlicker". Look these videos up on Youtube and you'll get a smorgasboard of Cunningham's work. If you're brave, watch his short film Rubber Johnny. But don't blame me for the nightmares. I didn't twist your arm..............
½ May 19, 2010
Si Michel Gondry es el Federico Fellini del video-clip, Chris Cunningham es Stanley Kubrick. La premisa no esta muy alejada de la realidad, ya que Cunningham trabajo con Kubrick en el proyecto A.I., que tras la muerte del director, fue asumido por Steven Spielberg. En este corto inventario (faltan muchos videos) del director, se puede apreciar su sentido del perfeccionismo, asi como su gran impacto visceral. "Come To Daddy" sigue siendo un video aterrador.
½ May 19, 2010
½ December 10, 2009
chris cunningham er absolutt en dyktig regissør. måten musikken visualiseres igjennom hans kortfilmer og musikkvideoer er ikke annet enn imponerende.her finnes profilerte artister som madonna og bjørk til de noe mer spesiell electronika av aphex twin.jeg vil anbefale denne på det sterkeste for alle som vet å sette pris på gode kortfilmer/musikkvideo. se også The work of spike jonze og the work of michel gondry. at absolutt must
July 19, 2009
the finest filmmaker in all the land
December 15, 2008
no thanks not my thing
October 22, 2008
He's awesome! I just love his works, from Aphex Twin to Bjork, Portishead to Madonna. It's all genius!
September 18, 2008
Favorite Music Video Director
September 9, 2008
Love this man... Mad.
June 23, 2008
Yes, the videos were some of the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my life. But they really left out A LOT of stuff. It's only thirty minutes of footage! And they dont even have rubber Johnny on it!!!! But still, the videos were crazy.
June 19, 2008
-this rating is based on the quality on this one DVD, not on the quantity or all the videos that they did not put on here. it is absolutly necessary that they make a volume II of his work. but yea, everything on this DVD if fucking brilliant. visually blew me away and all the music on here is sick.
April 11, 2008
AMAZING video director!
½ March 30, 2008
I think it's insane more people don't know about Chris Cunningham. His music video work is fucking incredible with editing that will blow your mind. Add to that lesbian Bjork robots and you've got some good viewin'.
March 26, 2008
The weird and wonerful world of the man that brought us the Aphex Twin videos and a biomechanical Bjork. Stunning and disturbng in equal measure.
½ March 19, 2008
His work is kind of weird and even creepy, but in a great way.
February 25, 2008
Magnificent visual style. Chris Cunningham is a force to be reckoned with.
½ February 6, 2008
One of the finest inventor of images. His work inspired everyone, unfortunatly no one shre his talent.