Working Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Working Girl Reviews

March 19, 2016
I think I might have liked this more with any other lead actress.
February 8, 2016
Melanie Griffith's daughter Dakota is currently rising with fame. She is about to be in a movie in less than a few days. As I discovered last year that Dakota Johnson is the daughter of Griffith and Don Johnson I couldn't help but wonder what their individual movie careers were like. Not to long ago I finally saw a classic in the filmography of Melanie Griffith, Working Girl. Working Girl is all America story of an individual working at the bottom essentionally but dreams of making it big and trying to seize it when she gets her chance. Great acting and directing make this one enjoyable comedy pic.
Tess McGill (Griffith) is a secretary out on wall street. She is a woman with many ideas and drive to make it to the top of the business. Tess gets placed one day placed with a new financial executive Katherine Parker (Sigourney Weaver). Parker has her do bitch work mostly but then after a skiing incident, she leaves tess in charge of handling her affairs. Tess comes across an idea for an investment in radio. Tess decides to run away with this idea and makes a deal with some top executives including Jack Trainor (Harrison Ford) whom she later falls in love with.
The film begins with an amazing main theme that I just really loved. "let the river run" is an amazing song really well produced. Melanie Griffith sort of plays the 80's version of Peggy Olson from Mad Men. Only difference is that is her goal from the start is to move up the ladder while Peggy came to that decision much later in her years there. Also she is trying to do this at a stockbrocker agency. She is terrific here in this role! Griffith has a really sexy voice and is quite beautiful. Now I see where her daughter Dakota gets it from
Sigourney weaver plays a role unlike any I've seen from her. she does this so well and shows her range greatly as an actress. She could have very well been the kind of type cast action heroine we've come to see but she ventured out in a great way. As far As Harrison Ford I Didn't think Ford was such a smooth criminal, he is real slick here. He adds a little Indiana jones swagger here to his character. Joan cusuack was pretty funny here as a good portion of the comedy in the film comes from her.
mike Nichols does a fine job directing this story of a woman pursuing her dreams. He brings out performances from his cast that I'm sure many didn't think they had. Excellent film here. Decently funny, sexy and supplies itself with smart screenplay.
February 7, 2016
Clever combination between the characters.
December 29, 2015
Though very fondly regarded in its time, this "chick flick" isn't much more than a standard rom-com with a slightly more talented cast than usual. Besides a sprinkling of some decidedly more risque material (probably less common at the time), the story really doesn't offer anything new. It's the old mistaken identity trope wherein the girl next door (Melanie Griffith) assumes her upper class boss's (Sigourney Weaver) place in a series of business meetings with the hunky, male lead (Harrison Ford) without said boss's knowledge. Obviously the two fall for each other until ultimately the charade is busted and...yadda yadda. While notable for subverting the outdated stereotype that a young, wispy-voiced, blonde couldn't be business smart (actually, maybe the stereotype refers to Griffith specifically), any rom-com watcher worth his salt can guess the plot beats and reveals from a mile away. Still, the real draws of this 80s flick are its three leads. Ford, Griffith, and Weaver are all immense talents who can all juggle the comedy, drama, and romance of the picture without missing a beat. Yeah...there's some funny bits here and there too...
½ December 15, 2015
fluffy, lots of hairspray, Harrison Ford and Sigourney weaver and alec baldwin in supporting roles.
August 27, 2015
This is one of those films I don't have a real opinion about. It was a good film; that's all I have to say.
½ July 26, 2015
This is a movie I remember from when I was young. It used to be on tv a lot and it was one I was allowed to sit up late and watch.
I haven't seen it for quite some time, so I was happy to find the DVD for $6.
I have to admit, it did not age quite as well as I thought. That is some spectacularly bad hair on Melanie Griffiths, even by 80's standards.
There's a lot I still like about this movie - strong young woman bettering herself and working her way out of the typing pool, and moving on from a cheating sleaze who doesn't treat her well, but through adult eyes, I really didn't like that she still actually did need the help of the man to get there.
And I had a few cynical smiles at the "happy ending". Day in day out at the office - it may not be all it's cracked up to be!
½ July 1, 2015
Holy crap that terrible eye makeup/hair from 80s. What I really liked was griffiths portrayal, something sad, frail, n innocent about her-this role was perfect for her. What i didn't like was her friend not being very supportive of her moving up. I can relate to not getting credit for my ideas at work too. I'm glad in the end she moved herself up both job and men wise,
May 5, 2015
Working Gil has it's moments and good performances from Melanie Griffith and Sigourney Weaver, but the film feels dated due to obvious reasons, but also a fairly thin plot. Still it has it moment in the time capsule to merit a viewing.
May 2, 2015
Such a great story about staying true to yourself. Great music and actually a wonderfully vulnerable performance from Melanie Griffith.
½ April 15, 2015
It's Cinderella meets Pretty Woman and a wickedly wonderful Weaver as the evil step mom.
½ March 30, 2015
Pretty good but a little slow and is definitely dated.
March 27, 2015
"I have a head for business and a bod for sin. Is there anything wrong with that?"

Nearly 27 years old, this movie still holds up, though slightly dated. But seeing the young, trim, nearly-naked gorgeous Alec Baldwin makes it all the worthwhile!
March 23, 2015
such a sweet watch
not a Harrison Ford movie per-se but still a wacky look at business and mixing it with social living
Melanie Griffith is a so-serious woman looking for a promotion in the line of Wall Street and her boss played by the awesome Weaver gives her enough guidance to make it big
but after running into a handsome executive things start to escalate sometimes uncomfortably and hilariously
but Griffith gets in too over her head when she pitches an idea she came up with that's not hers
the cool thing about the movie is that she takes a big risk pining for a dream job
and she points out the stress of making it to the top
she is the ultimate 'working girl' as it were juggling a double-life with this charming man and pretending to be her own boss
the 1980's was the age of circuit boards and Griffith proves it's a challenge to get by
a modernized 'Cinderella' tale along the lines of 'Pretty Woman' and many others that so funny and sharp
February 7, 2015
Cute feel good movie
February 1, 2015
I really like Melanie Griffith in this movie! She's great as Tess McGill! Such a funny movie! Really goes to show you that you must bend the rules to make it to the top!
February 1, 2015
dated but still enjoyable chick flick
December 14, 2014
I accidentally watched this for the first time today. I must say ... the 80's hair, shoulder pads, and a darn handsome Harrison Ford were quite fun. I never realized until now how much of a ripoff "Maid in Manhattan" was.
½ December 12, 2014
This movie is fun and has a great story. I can't believe I forgot to review it!