Working Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Working Girl Reviews

½ December 15, 2015
fluffy, lots of hairspray, Harrison Ford and Sigourney weaver and alec baldwin in supporting roles.
August 27, 2015
This is one of those films I don't have a real opinion about. It was a good film; that's all I have to say.
½ July 26, 2015
This is a movie I remember from when I was young. It used to be on tv a lot and it was one I was allowed to sit up late and watch.
I haven't seen it for quite some time, so I was happy to find the DVD for $6.
I have to admit, it did not age quite as well as I thought. That is some spectacularly bad hair on Melanie Griffiths, even by 80's standards.
There's a lot I still like about this movie - strong young woman bettering herself and working her way out of the typing pool, and moving on from a cheating sleaze who doesn't treat her well, but through adult eyes, I really didn't like that she still actually did need the help of the man to get there.
And I had a few cynical smiles at the "happy ending". Day in day out at the office - it may not be all it's cracked up to be!
½ July 1, 2015
Holy crap that terrible eye makeup/hair from 80s. What I really liked was griffiths portrayal, something sad, frail, n innocent about her-this role was perfect for her. What i didn't like was her friend not being very supportive of her moving up. I can relate to not getting credit for my ideas at work too. I'm glad in the end she moved herself up both job and men wise,
May 5, 2015
Working Gil has it's moments and good performances from Melanie Griffith and Sigourney Weaver, but the film feels dated due to obvious reasons, but also a fairly thin plot. Still it has it moment in the time capsule to merit a viewing.
May 2, 2015
Such a great story about staying true to yourself. Great music and actually a wonderfully vulnerable performance from Melanie Griffith.
½ April 15, 2015
It's Cinderella meets Pretty Woman and a wickedly wonderful Weaver as the evil step mom.
½ March 30, 2015
Pretty good but a little slow and is definitely dated.
March 27, 2015
"I have a head for business and a bod for sin. Is there anything wrong with that?"

Nearly 27 years old, this movie still holds up, though slightly dated. But seeing the young, trim, nearly-naked gorgeous Alec Baldwin makes it all the worthwhile!
March 23, 2015
such a sweet watch
not a Harrison Ford movie per-se but still a wacky look at business and mixing it with social living
Melanie Griffith is a so-serious woman looking for a promotion in the line of Wall Street and her boss played by the awesome Weaver gives her enough guidance to make it big
but after running into a handsome executive things start to escalate sometimes uncomfortably and hilariously
but Griffith gets in too over her head when she pitches an idea she came up with that's not hers
the cool thing about the movie is that she takes a big risk pining for a dream job
and she points out the stress of making it to the top
she is the ultimate 'working girl' as it were juggling a double-life with this charming man and pretending to be her own boss
the 1980's was the age of circuit boards and Griffith proves it's a challenge to get by
a modernized 'Cinderella' tale along the lines of 'Pretty Woman' and many others that so funny and sharp
February 7, 2015
Cute feel good movie
February 1, 2015
I really like Melanie Griffith in this movie! She's great as Tess McGill! Such a funny movie! Really goes to show you that you must bend the rules to make it to the top!
February 1, 2015
dated but still enjoyable chick flick
December 14, 2014
I accidentally watched this for the first time today. I must say ... the 80's hair, shoulder pads, and a darn handsome Harrison Ford were quite fun. I never realized until now how much of a ripoff "Maid in Manhattan" was.
½ December 12, 2014
This movie is fun and has a great story. I can't believe I forgot to review it!
½ December 3, 2014
A conventional American romantic comedy with a predictable plot and stereotypical characters. But I enjoyed watching the movie for the sake of 1980's nostalgia. The hairdos are out of this world!
½ November 23, 2014
A Cinderella story for 1980s corporate America, in which Melanie Griffith works her way from put-upon, objectified secretary up to less-put-upon and still, basically, objectified manager. Though there's a lot of really fascinating feminist stuff going on--the film begins with a helicopter shot of Lady Liberty, with Carly Simon wailing about the "New Jerusalem," then swoops in to discover its lead aboard the Staten Island ferry, explicitly framing the narrative as the immigrant story of women in the workforce, and it's kind of nice to see Harrison Ford at the height of his star power being used as the trophy man--there's still something perplexing about the way the film (notably penned and directed by men) pimps out its star, parading her about in pretty ridiculous lingerie whenever possible and even, for some inexplicable reason, having her vacuum the house topless. It's hard to shake the underlying message of the movie, which is that, if you look like Melanie Griffith and you can get Harrison Ford to bed you, you might just have a shot at a career (the fact that the antagonist is the already successful--and utterly villainous--Sigourney Weaver only makes things more interesting, complicated, and potentially troubling).
November 22, 2014
"I have head for business but body for sin. Anything wrong with that?" Another Mike Nichols classic. M. Griffith being sassy, H. Ford hot and steamy, S. Weaver bitchy, J. Cusack has huge hair and A. Baldwin just plain snake. Also O. Platt, D. Duchovney and even K. Spacey playing their parts. Cast overcrowding!
½ November 20, 2014
"LIGHT" COMEDY...COOKED TO THE MAX!!!