Working Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Working Girl Reviews

½ November 15, 2014
A repeat of "Secret if my Success" only using a woman for the part.
½ October 24, 2014
Silly and tacky romcom with strong 80s esthetics.
September 25, 2014
A 1980's Cinderella story with some memorable moments.
½ September 14, 2014
Melanie Griffith never fully blossomed into more than a blossom for me, and Sigourney's betrayal was broadcast a bit too early for my taste, but I loved the issues involved here.
½ August 5, 2014
Whenever I watch what I consider to be "older" films the likes of this one, I wonder if they felt just as formulaic when they came out as they do today. Within the formula's boundaries however, Working Girl is able to avoid most clumsiness thanks to a great supporting cast.
July 19, 2014
Un classique des années 80 !
July 9, 2014
Harrison Ford is very charming here but Griffith doesn't quite measure up
June 19, 2014
I don't usually comment on score, but my God this film has one of the absolute worst film scores I have ever heard. So this is the epitome of the Hollywood film. It follows the formula perfectly, nothing really stands out. Its easy to like the Tess, and Jack and really easy to hate Katherine. An atypical Hollywood film.
June 9, 2014
"It's asking for the taking..." From director Mike Nichols comes the satirical office comedy Working Girl. When a skiing accident hospitalizes her boss, ambitious secretary Tess McGill takes her shot at the big time by posing as a broker in order to put together a business deal that her boss had tried to steal from her. Unfortunately the script is rather weak and unfocused, unsure of what kind of comedy it wants to be; romantic, fish-out-of water, etc. Yet enough of it works to make the film entertaining, and the performance by Melanie Griffith, Harrison Ford, and Sigourney Weaver are especially good. Additionally, Carly Simon provides an excellent soundtrack that's quite soulful, and includes the pop hit "Let the River Run" (which is a perfect anthem for the lead character). It's a bit uneven, but Working Girl is fun and has a positive message about following one's dreams.
June 1, 2014
I finally saw (most of) this on TV, a mere 26 years after its release. It goes without saying that I'm viewing it with different eyes/perspective than a late 80s audience would have, but I do think the commentary on class and opportunity actually does go beyond the obvious/surface. This helped me overlook the dubious 80s workplace romance plotline. Good enough.
May 30, 2014
A very eighties film. Melanie Griffith's character manages to work her way up and win Harrison Ford's heart...all the while being annoying as heck.
May 12, 2014
Every thing is good - Amusement at it's best.
May 6, 2014
A very cute movie that seemed like the 1980's version of The Devil Wears Prada. All the performances were wonderful from Harrison to Joan to Sigourney
½ March 20, 2014
Fine performances, but only a marginally above average '80s romantic comedy. Weaver is the best overall, Ford turns in the best scene (with an unconscious, drunk Tess in his apartment), and Griffith creates a charming and capable Tess. (Honorable mention to Olympia Dukakis!)
March 12, 2014
Smart dramedy of "how to rise from secretary to executive without die in trying".Charming Griffiith,Ford and Weaver
February 20, 2014
A product of its time, but the career-best performance by Melanie Griffith is still enjoyable. The underdog-makes-good story always works, too.
January 27, 2014
Rég láttam ilyen gyenge filmet.
December 30, 2013
I just couldn't get past the hair...
November 23, 2013
Je n'avais pas revu ce film depuis une eternite.
Le film a pris un coup de vieux mais ca reste toujours un bon film aussi agreable a regarder grace a la pleiade de bons acteurs.
September 17, 2013
Would have been better if the film ended about 15 minutes earlier.
So apart from the (unrealistic) ending, a somewhat enjoyable rags-to-riches tale. Entertaining, though won't be on any lists of great films...