World War Z - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

World War Z Reviews

½ January 22, 2017
Very dramatic and fast-moving, particularly thrilling. Really enjoyed this, a very good flm which I'm really glad there's a sequel to! A must-watch if you like your heart pumping quickly not knowing what's going to happen next...
½ January 5, 2017
While it's more competent than a masterpiece, if you're looking for fast-moving, action packed, zombie thrills, then World War Z is definitely the one for you, offers a solid story and a great performance by our dear Brad Pitt. Although, pretentious films, where the day is always saved by the big hero, but I do have to say that this film was descent. The CGI zombies look a little fake sometimes, but it's still a very well made entry in the zombie genre. Recommended !!
January 3, 2017
My favorite zombie movie, although that's not saying a lot because I don't like them that much to begin with
January 2, 2017
Had so much potential, but it failed to capture pretty much anything from the book. Just a clich√ (C)d zombie movie. I personally hated it for not using the source material.
January 2, 2017
A really entertaining thriller!
½ December 27, 2016
A forgettable and unoriginal zombie movie in times when the theme has already been explored and re-explored ad infinitum, and it cannot even justify its existence, being completely unclear about its actual purpose - hell, it hardly manages to be entertaining.
½ December 24, 2016
interesting movie. I like how it got right into it from the beginning. I never could get into zombie movies.
November 25, 2016
World War Z is more of an action film than a zombie flick and it lacks the elements that defined the zombie genre like close quarters, suspended silence, human depravity, and the zombies actually being dead corpses. This doesn't include the washed out emotions of Brad Pitt who gives an expression that can be the reaction to anything as mild as watching someone juggle balls.
½ November 12, 2016
It was a good movie (if your a zombie lover which I am) and it had plenty of jump scares and intense moments. Overall I recommend this movie and I can't wait for the second one.
October 29, 2016
A solid enough entry to the zombie genre, World War Z is good for old blockbuster fun
October 25, 2016
When seemingly normal Philadelphia traffic turns into an avalanche of chaos from exploding vehicles to trampling zombies, former United Nations investigator Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt) must find a way to get his wife (Mirelle Enos) and two daughters (Sterling Jerins and Abigail Hargrove) to safety.

As the zombie pandemic consumes the world; toppling armies, disbanding governments and threatening to decimate humanity in its entirety, Gerry is called on to leave his family and traverses the globe with doctors of the World Health Authority in search of information on the source of the outbreak.

Like 28 days later and Contagion, World War Z is not your usual mindless zombie flick. Delving into the nature of human response to epidemic threat, this deftly tackled post-apocalyptic horror-thriller from director Marc Foster based on Max Brooks' 2006 novel of the same name, establishes the story's magnitude and relevance from the outset through a unique angle.

Delayed for release on numerous occasions due to re-writes, test receptions and scene retakes, WWZ boasts a surprisingly good script that resonates with reliability though its hero's journey with scale, style and bite, props to the writers for an imaginative manipulation of the genre.

Although they combine to accentuate the films sense of panic, it is easy to separate the best and worst elements of this film. A testament to the advances in its arena the CGI work is simply exceptional, whilst a physical assault on the eyes and gag reflex, the tediously frenetic hand-held camera work would have been shot clearer from the inside or a blender on puree and its knock-on effect to editing and sound effects is just as apparent.

Grounding the film as the calm in a crisis heroic protagonist, Pitt reminds us exactly why he is one of the world's biggest stars, conveying every anguished detail with the slightest movement of his skilled features. The stellar supporting cast are brilliant in so many ways, from creative choices to dramatic candour, they genuinely add value.

As horror's are to want, the cardboard cut-out looking zombies are rarely seen close up until a plot crucial face to desiccated face confrontation where thing just get sticky. The constant fall of countries and changing locations add to the film overarching scale of destruction, while scenes in confined quarters (without giving it away, like Snakes on a plane this film would never qualify for in-flight viewing) add to a palpable sense of panic.

The Verdict: From The Walking Dead to Warm Bodies, zombie based storylines are obviously the in-thing for 20teen's and are rapidly approaching saturation point. Honestly, how much empathy can an audience be expected to have with the least cuddly undead? even if tasty-treat Brad Pitt is on offer.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 21/06/2013
½ October 23, 2016
Worst zombie movie ever. Road to bison is 100x times better
½ October 12, 2016
Mediocre zombie infection flick that takes itself too seriously without delivering much in terms of suspenseful pay off - lot of bark, not a lot of bite. & like most films of this nature, the characters are short lived and cliche, so why should we as an audience care? The resolution to the zombie apocalypse was interesting at least.
jamrcla
½ October 7, 2016
After watching World War Z I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was and also how different it was to most other zombie movies, There's some great action but not the usual gory kills as it's very intense and edge of your seat action and it makes this film work, The 3D wasn't worth paying an extra £2 for, But what does make this film stand out most is the plot it's not the usual zombie plot, The effects were very good and Brad Pitt acts his way through the film in style, The zombies were amazing and how they should be done, When all is said and done it's very gripping that gets your heart pumping that can be enjoyed by anyone who likes a good action movie.
October 7, 2016
Decent zombie movie but doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Has virtually nothing to do with the book. That would have made for a great TV series, but I suppose Walking Dead has that covered now.
½ October 3, 2016
Enjoyable even though it was a Zombie movie
½ September 30, 2016
One of the better zombie apocalyptic movies. It has plenty of suspense, action and fast-moving thrills to keep viewers entertained.
½ September 28, 2016
Gah. One of the worst (high-budget) zombie movies I've ever seen.
September 25, 2016
Not perfect but very effective. Enjoyable and swift action flick.
September 19, 2016
World War Z stars Brad Pitt who is UN representative who helps to try to figure out how to stop the pandemic of a zombie attack. Great cast, great script and crisp action sequences. Overall it was a great movie, enjoyable and fast paced. It was a fun movie with great suspense, I would definitely add to your list.