The World According to Garp - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The World According to Garp Reviews

December 1, 2013
I love this movie! Absolutely one of my very favorites. Deep, weird and insightful. Doesn't get any better to me:)
November 10, 2013
First of all - you should read the book - it is better than the movie! However, this is a good adaptation and I love Robin Williams in it!
September 28, 2013
One of the great "gets better with the passage of time" films. When I first saw this In 1982 it was perplexing, shocking and cutting edge". Today it ranks as one of my top ten bucket list /desert island films. You must watch it. I've said enough, but 5 stars should be the clue. 2 hours and 20 minutes you will truly enjoy. It had me from the opening credits.
August 12, 2013
Presents a menagerie of mildly insane characters in a series of totally bizarre circumstances as if there was nothing abnormal about either. Though that may have worked on the page, where reasonable minds can add context, it doesn't work in this static film. I was entertained by this Gump-like journey, but neither moved nor convinced it had anything worth actually saying.
½ July 11, 2013
Good Fictional Biography
½ June 21, 2013
An overly smug, if well-acted, film.
May 12, 2013
It captures the humor of the book very well, and Robin WIlliams was an excellent choice, but it can't grasp the darker side of the book, and it moves far too quickly through the events.
May 10, 2013
I havent seen this movie, but book is a must.
May 5, 2013
The World According to Garp directed by George Roy Hill. Starring Robin Williams and Glenn Close (nominated for Best Supporting Actress by Academy) and John Lithgow (nominated for Best Supp: Actor by Academy). The film is based on the novel of the same name by John Irving.

T. S. Garp (Robin Williams) is illegitimate son of Jenny (Glenn Close) who never married but only wanted a child working as a nurse during 2nd World War at Boys' Prep School - she hate men. Garp becomes interested in wrestling and falls in love with his coach's daughter Helen (Mary Beth Hurt). Garp and his mother become writers In New York, Jenny hits the sky overnight with her novel A Sexual Suspect. she becomes voice for feminists. Garp marries Helen, time passes the couple have two grown up sons, and Garp is still cooking, cleaning and writing books. Jenny is running feminist house nearby for members, where Garp befriends Roberta (John Lithgow as transsexual).

Sometime you adore the plot-setting and sometime you just keep observing the performances from Glenn, Lithgow and William. Film's weakness could be it's huge duration to maintain clarity with its plot, which although seems simple and yet clear; it drags beyond what it is meant to deliver to us. Few hilarious scenes, but don't expect nothing from this.
½ January 31, 2013
A beautiful and mature flick about Life. Though sometimes lacks of consistency, it's a well written story. I've seen it several times through the course of my life and each time it strikes me differently. Not a must see.
January 20, 2013
You'd think it was "Forrest Gump" if the titular character in "The World According to Garp", spoiler, didn't really have a view of the world all that different from the rest of us. George Roy Hill's film does span years, decades even, and it's flawed in the gaps it shakily passes over. That being said, its quirkiness isn't without weight -- "Garp" is a pretty amazing not-that-macho rumination on remembering to fill up your time on earth with all you can before you die, though not out of character with the spirit of Hill's other works.

"Garp" doesn't achieve greatness, but it's so damn sweet I can't hardly bear to say anything bad about it. It's good company for 136 minutes, one with hooks and bends surprising without being dizzy, sentimental but never saccharine, and John Lithgow in a dress. It's a movie that in showing us the many directions of life is just as quick to draw out the undertow to everything. Because turns can also be corners, and they can be sharp.
January 12, 2013
Scattershot cutaway look at John Irving's involving work ain't too bad, but the large source material refuses to be simply condensed into movie form and what suffers is the work's emotive impact. Mom sleeping with a dying guy, potent sure, but given short shrift in the film, and so most of the other climatic moments. Still, a different Williams film, Glenn Close's debut (and she's not too shabby, eh?), and overall interesting viewing.
January 5, 2013
Yes. New England, Seaside, John Irving, Robin Williams, Glenn Close and all that but what delighted me the most: John Lithgow as a woman! Brilliant, in so many ways! Roberta, that is.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to watching.
September 23, 2012
I'm really not sure what I just watched and why I watched it... It didnt know when to end and just kept throw lame surprises in to add shock (crap) value.

Am puzzled by my friends views on this.
August 31, 2012
A highly underrated film and one of the better adaptations I have seen. Yes. I will give the cliched line that the book was much better than the film but that still should not take away from this film at all. Although some things from the novel got left out, still a solid script. Glenn Close was great as Jenny and Robin Williams was pretty good too but all scenes with John Lithogow were splendid. Definitely worth seeing, especially since Robin Williams makes garbage films nowadays. The directing by George Roy Hill was top notch. It might not have been the Sting or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but it was pretty close to that level. This was one of the better Irving-based films I have seen.
August 26, 2012
A little strange, but good movie
½ August 1, 2012
Everything according to Garp was eye opening all around for the Main character, it's audience, and Robin Williams who made 'Garp' all his own.
Undoubtably landing Williams Respect for the starring role and Guarenteed future success.
Instead of making wise-cracks Williams shows compassion, As Garp a Boy transitioning into manhood and always living the shadow of his mother's forth comings who's over ride his life.
July 29, 2012
Rambling, quirky and absorbing, its assortment of characters makes this fascinating viewing.
July 5, 2012
Robin Williams shows off a fair amount of acting chops in this film. I'd say that the first half is very funny and interesting, but it loses both momentum and focus as it goes on. It got a fair bit boring towards the end. Not for everybody but still a decent enough drama.