The World According to Garp Reviews

• Jan 08, 2020

This movie (based on a book) is original, risky, clever, funny, heartbreaking, irreverent, and confusing. I love it.

• Jul 21, 2019

This move is so bad that I am a little bit ashamed for having read the book.

This move is so bad that I am a little bit ashamed for having read the book.

• Feb 23, 2019

This is a fantastic movie. Trust me, Iï¿ 1/2 1/2 1/2(TM)m Robert Ebert.

This is a fantastic movie. Trust me, Iï¿ 1/2 1/2 1/2(TM)m Robert Ebert.

• Jan 22, 2018

What a gem of a film that I had never heard of prior to Metrograph offering one day of screenings in 35MM.

• Jan 12, 2018

Always a challenge to get through a movie with mainly unlikable characters. John Lithgow steals the show.

• Oct 09, 2017

The World According to Garp is an incredible film. It is about struggling young writer finds his life and work dominated by his unfaithful wife and his radical feminist mother. Robin Williams and Glen Close give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. George Roy Hill did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and drama. The World According to Garp is a must see.

• Aug 22, 2017

A strange and wonderful tale expertly crafted for the big screen. The film centers around arguably the best performance of Robin Williams' career, and the outstanding supporting cast rises to meet him. The film largely stays true to the book, generously offering up laughs and tears.

• Jun 02, 2017

This adaptation of a John Irving's novel about the extraordinary life of an aspiring writer brought up by and learning from women with extreme feminism is painfully truthful, sorrowfully tragic and delightfully insightful.

• Jan 02, 2017

1/2/2017: An ok movie, but not a comedy! It is also way too long. Wouldn't want to watch again.

• Nov 16, 2016

I just finished the book and absolutely loved it (5 stars) and was excited to find out there was movie. I was skeptical on how it was possible to transfer this story to film and thought it nearly impossible. I was right. This is a horrible movie. If I hadn't read the book, I wouldn't have the slightest idea what was going on. Just stick with the book. It's a great "laugh out loud" read. You won't be disappointed in that. I promise.