The World of Henry Orient - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The World of Henry Orient Reviews

July 17, 2011
Fantastic - that is the word i use to describe this movie. Peter Sellers was great in the Pink Panther films and i had never seen this movie so it was a joy to catch it on tv. It invloves two girls who become infatuated with Seller's character Henry Orient and follow him and keep tabs on him through magazines and such - it has Angela Lansbury from Murder She wrote and Tom Bosely from Happy Days in it as a married couple, the two main girls are played by Merrie Spaeth and Tippy Walker who are far out and wild as the two teenage scamps! They have some great dialogue and some great scenes around the city. This film really is a great watch with a funny,campy feel to it and Al Lewis is in a small part before going onto to play Grandpa in the Munsters the same year.
February 17, 2011
The beauty of the comedy is in its closeness to the emotions of the youngsters.
½ December 11, 2010
The first time I saw this movie was at Radio City Music Hall in 1964 when I went to NYC for my college interview. It's one of my favorites.
½ July 30, 2010
"The World of Henry Orient" is a small movie that begins as a silly romp about two teen girls infatuated with a zany pianist, and then -- thanks to a pair of adult actors at the top of their game -- becomes something much better: a quietly powerful story about growing up.

Despite the title, "The World of Henry Orient" is initially a universe belonging to New York City girls Marian and Valarie. Marian (Merrie Spaeth) is a child of divorce who lives with her mother and a friend of the family. Valarie (Tippy Walker) is a child prodigy who rarely sees her own parents, wealthy globetrotters who visit their daughter only when it?s convenient. When Marian and Valarie hook up through a private school, they concoct a childish obsession: the stalking of Henry Orient (Peter Sellers), a cowardly lothario from the Bronx with uptown aspirations and a bogus, continental accent.

Sellers, riding high in 1964 with "The Pink Panther" and "Dr. Strangelove" on his resume, does his deadpan shtick in this film and is, as always, amusing. Walker and Spaeth have winning personalities and, although I confess there were times I felt I was watching two teenage girls attempting to act, their enthusiasm is infectious.

But something near-miraculous occurs in the film at its midpoint, and this is largely thanks to a pair of consummate actors who turn a frivolous comedy into something sad, powerful -- and utterly wonderful. Tom Bosley and Angela Lansbury, as Valarie?s absentee parents, command the screen: Lansbury as a self-centered socialite and lousy mother, and Bosley in a precursor to his famous "Happy Days" role on TV -- the perfect Dad. Bosley, in particular, has a scene with Walker that is heartbreaking, uplifting, and emblematic of why this little gem from 1964 still sparkles.
July 29, 2010
This started out sort of interesting and weirdly edgy for its time (her mom and her 'friend' uh huh. all the psychiatry stuff. female main characters gasp) but loses steam by being boring more than anything else.. and then ending with all of the interesting aspects in the two girls becoming super bland! It's kind of a super hollywood G rated version of Alfie with two craaazy kids thrown in to appeal to all crowds.
½ July 25, 2010
Watching this movie on TCM now for I don't know how many times. Great movie and wonderful performances. Was tunred into a musical that didn't fare well on Broadway but is still remembered.
½ July 8, 2010
Two fourteen-year-olds start stalking a concert pianist, Henry Orient, with whom one of them is infatuated, in this promising comedy that doesn't really deliver. Tippy Walker and Merrie Spaeth play the pair with girlish enthusiasm, but traipse too often into sickly sweet territory. The adults, by comparison, are the opposite of the girls' wide-eyed wholesomeness. Peter Sellers plays Henry Orient as a vain and pompous showman, and Angela Lansbury stands out as one of the girl's rakish mother. Elmer Bernstein's score is appropriately fleet and breezy.
June 21, 2010
Very funny movie with a strange plot that I find interesting.
½ February 14, 2010
This was my mother's favorite movie as a young teenager. It's things like this that make me realize I could have been my mom's best friend in the 1960s...
February 6, 2010
This is a movie where Peter Sellers is a concert New York pianist Henry Orient. Two teenage girls follow him around town. One of the girls have a crush on him and has made a scrapbook which her mother finds later. Henry is a ladies man with a huge ego to go with it. This is not Peter Sellers best movie. but it's pretty good one. Look for Tom Bosley (Happy Days)and Angela Lansbury in the movie also.
½ November 28, 2009
A Catcher in the Rye for girls, but boys would be wise to not to skip it either.
October 18, 2009
Some parents could not understand precocious children. It is well written and I liked the directors view point.
March 21, 2009
I probably approached this film with the wrong mindset. I was expecting to watch a Peter Sellers film. What I got was a tiresome story about two pre-pubescent schoolgirls, with occasional cameos of Sellers.
March 7, 2009
When I saw this in 1964, I absolutely loved it. No idea how I would respond in 2009. I don't want to spoil my memory of my first viewing, by re-viewing.
½ February 18, 2009
Angela Landsbury is a controlling hussy and I love it.
½ January 6, 2009
aside from the awkward "oriental" stuff, this was a great, visually colorful 60s film with a nice role for Angela Lansbury as an awful mother
½ January 5, 2009
Ok movie for that era.
½ December 18, 2008
This is not too bad. Sellers plays a gigilo concert pianist but when I was a teenager it was all about Tippy Walker.