World Traveler - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

World Traveler Reviews

July 18, 2013
I watched this two years ago, and cannot recall one single scene, plot point, or character..
April 28, 2013
This movie isn't worthy of Julianne Moore. She is the only good actor and portrays the only interesting character in ht movie. The lead character is just a loser, and I really don't see how he learns anything from going around cheating on his wife and luring people in only to screw them over.
½ August 15, 2012
Too weird for me. And I like weird movies.
½ July 12, 2012
Just can't do what "Jesus' Son" did.
½ May 30, 2012
Just stay away. Could have been SO much more.
½ August 2, 2010
tooooooooooooooooo slow only sparkled with moore
July 15, 2010
not bad, but not amazing either.
½ January 10, 2010
This movie easily competes for Worst Movie I Have Ever Seen (a title currently held by Ghosts in the Darkness.) I can understand and identify with the main character but I imagine most people aren't as crazy as I. What I cannot abide is the lack of sense and appropriate resolution within the story. An ordinarily flawless Julianne Moore looks terrible and lacks connection and Billy Crudup is relateable but the movie makes no use of it. Blecky bleck bleck.
January 3, 2010
World Traveler is about the dull exploits of Cal (Crudup), who has a premature mid-life crisis and hits the road, leaving his cushy career as an architect, his beautiful wife and cute 3-year old son behind. He is also a philandering schmuck and all-around asshole. The normal reaction would be, this role isn?t too much of a stretch for Crudup, since he did walk out on his pregnant girlfriend, Mary-Louise Parker of 7 months. But that?s beside the point. Even if art didn?t imitate life, Crudup is still the best actor for the job. Unfortunately, it?s a job not worth doing. Cal is an A-grade A-h0le, to the point where he leaves a path/trail of unconscious destruction in his wake. I understand what Cal is going through, but I don?t, can?t, sympathize with him.

This film is about how Cal decides to become a father to his son at the end of the film. The reason he left in the first place? He has father issues. Oh ho, didn?t see that one coming, did you? He actually drove cross-country and decided to see his dad, after 22 years. Cal asks his father why he left them. The father said he wanted a better life. The next day, when the father asks Cal why he?s going home, Cal says he wants a better life. Cal?s journey is about proving to himself that he has a choice, so when he goes back, you know it?s because he chose to go back. Whether his wife should take him back is another issue entirely.
½ May 3, 2009
No purpose and boring.
April 20, 2008
Don't be fooled by the title. I was hoping for some international fun here, but the characters only go from NY to LA. :P
½ April 19, 2008
A well-written and well-acted indie film. Beautiful landscape. The movie would not have worked without Billy Crudup.
½ March 16, 2008
mediocre movie. i like billy crudup as an actor but there's not much here at all.
June 22, 2007
The only movie I sat down and watched with my dad. It was so worth it though.
½ June 11, 2007
Not Bart's best work, but it's not horrible. Definitely indie fare.
½ June 10, 2007
Not a great film, but another great performance from Crudup.
February 16, 2007
Julianne crazy...kinda funny and weird
December 10, 2006
pretty bad, although not bad enough to reiceve only half a star.
December 3, 2006
I would like to see this, i think...
September 25, 2006
A moving story about lost fathers and lost sons. Billy Crudup always picks his roles with care, often looking to play unique characters who are searching for something, are damaged somehow, and are in need of healing. Julianne Moore plays well the wandering mother, traveling to connect with her son at a train station somehere out there in space and time. Willie Nelson provides the bulk of a memorable soundtrack. A must-see for Crudup fans, and an interesting part for David Keith, whom I'd like to see back doing more films.