The Worm Eaters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Worm Eaters Reviews

July 31, 2015
A horror comedy that's neither scary or funny.
September 18, 2011
Said to be unwatchable, and with a cheap gimmick: Instead of selling popcorn in the theaters, they sold worms to eat. Ugh.
April 22, 2011
I got to wonder how much people in the movie were paid to put live worms in there mouths. They wouldn't of done for fun I'm sure.
December 12, 2009
Bad-movie lovers, beware ?. Your standards will have to be set extremely low in case you want to remotely enjoy Herb Robins' "The Worm Eaters". This movie, produced by one of the über-gurus of crap cinema Ted V. Mikels ? is BEYOND bad! It has an irredeemably dumb plot, a totally incoherent narrative structure, humorist elements that are horrid and horror elements that are painfully hilarious. It's easily one of the worst movies ever made, and it is truly incomprehensible how the hell it managed to build up a rather solid cult status over the years. Probably this exclusively has to do with the fact that Herb Robins insisted on using real, live worms for the on screen consumption. Much of the footage is just close-ups of people (often with really terrible dental hygiene) slurping down & chewing up worms, and the only goal is to disgust and gross-out the audience. Robins himself stars as the dim-witted hermit Umgar, living in a lakeside shed in a corrupted little town. He collects and breeds worms ? and then feeds them to his opponents, like the town's council members that want to evict him and reclaim the lake zone. The consumption of the worms somehow transforms people into man-worm hybrids. "The Worm Eaters" introduces a seemingly endless series of demented supportive characters and ? obviously ? all the actors and actresses overact incredibly. The make-up effects are pathetic, as the hybrid monsters are simply imbeciles tightly wrapped in filthy brown sleeping bags and desperately trying not to use their feet when they crawl through the mud. But, as wrong as it may sound, the film isn't entirely without merit and there really are a couple of positive elements. Like the goofy but cheerful theme music ("You'll end up eating worms"), the creative animated opening credits and some of the gags that look like Benny Hill sketches. In conclusion, "The Worm Eaters" will undoubtedly one of the most bizarre low-budget, Z-grade schlock productions you'll ever encounter, so be careful who you recommend it to.
November 5, 2009
Read the synopsis and try not to laugh.
½ March 21, 2009
Total gross out time! This horror comedy has to be seen to be believed. How this is (or was) PG in NZ I'll never know.
½ March 27, 2008
This was the 2nd worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life. What a waste! Totally awful.
February 6, 2008
The first movie my child will see
January 1, 2008