Worth Winning - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Worth Winning Reviews

½ March 15, 2017
There's so much that you should dislike about "Worth Winning" that it's odd when you find yourself actually liking the movie. First, the main character, Taylor Worth (Mark Harmon) is exactly the kind of guy that many of us hated when we were in high school and college. He's too perfect, from his hair to his smile to his immaculate wardrobe. He has everything, including any woman that he wants to bed for a night or two.

Taylor never gets rejected, which is why his best friend, Ned (Mark Blum) comes up with a bet - get engaged to three women in three months, and Ned gets to pick the women. It's a slam dunk win for Ned, except Taylor also hates to lose and wants Ned to quit making foolish bets - so against his better judgment, Taylor agrees.

The three women all present varying challenges. Erin (Maria Holvoe) is an innocent but gorgeous blonde who is the receptionist for the Philadelphia Eagles - and is protected by several of it's biggest and strongest players. Eleanor (Lesley Ann Warren) is married to a very rich but very boring dolt whose idea of fun is doing mental math over the dinner table. And Veronica (Madeleine Stowe) is an eclectic concert pianist who openly states that she hates men like Taylor.

Of course, since this is an '80s romantic comedy, we know that Taylor will have some measure of success with all three women. And that's part of why we really shouldn't like "Worth Winning." Taylor is pretty much a sexist cad who gets what he wants from women before tossing them to the curb on the way to the next conquest. At least that's where he starts.

But along the way, also because it's an '80s romantic comedy, we also know that there's going to be a transformation in Taylor's future. And this is why we ultimately end up likely "Worth Winning." The guy that Taylor starts to realize he wants to be - primarily because that's who one of the three women falls in love with - is actually a decent guy. And in spite of the seedy background of the bet, we find ourselves rooting for Taylor to somehow work everything out and get the right girl.

"Worth Winning" is a likable movie with a fairly strong cast and some decent direction - especially in the way that Taylor (and ultimately the right girl) break the fourth wall to make asides to the audience. Another plus for the film is the soundtrack, which is mostly comprised of original compositions by pianist Liz Story (who also used her hands to double for Madeleine Stowe during the concert scene).

"Worth Winning" is a solid addition to the date night rotation if you can find a copy (and that's a big if, given that the only DVDs on Amazon start at $65 for a used copy).
April 18, 2015
Another pointless romantic comedy.
½ July 30, 2013
Worth Winning is a decent film. It is about a self-centered womanizer who makes a wager that he will be able to propose to three women in a three month time and have each one accept. Mark Harmon and Lesley Ann Warren give good performances. The screenplay is enjoyable but a little slow in places. Will Mackenzie did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor and romance.
½ April 3, 2012
Good acting. Pretty funny.
January 14, 2012
Typical 80's romantic comedy..so you know right off the bat it's terrible....Super Reviewers on this site know fuck all about movies they're all idiots and morons.
½ April 2, 2011
Another predictable romance movie with cute Mark Harmon, it's enjoyable, but forgettable.
½ October 21, 2010
This movie was much better than I expected it to be. If you can get your hands on it give it a go, Mark Harmon in the lead role is amazing. I love him as an actor.
½ April 7, 2010
Funny movie, I mean it's a predictable romantic comedy, but very enjoyable. I liked how the women turned it around towards the end, it really taught Harmon's character a lesson. Of course, there is a happy ending, not that it matters. Anyway, an overall enjoyable and funny movie with good actors.
February 16, 2010
Una comedia romantica de situaciones que logra ser graciosa, pese a su premisa cliche. Un galan que trabaja como comentarista del clima en la television, hace una apuesta en la que afirma poder comprometerse con tres hermosas mujeres en tres meses. Las mujeres se dan cuenta y la venganza logra ser deliciosa y muy divertida.
½ January 28, 2010
very funny, not something i would imaging mark harmon doing but it kept my attention....i would recommend
June 28, 2009
I Soooo Love This Movie !
January 31, 2009
I saw this one ages ago, so I can't really remember it too well, but it was quite a cute rom com about a sleazy guy who gets what's coming to him when his three women find out about each other. Not a must see, or the best movie ever made, but if you like 80's films, you will probably enjoy it.
August 23, 2008
Sort of a guilty-pleasure movie. Can't defend it artistically, but it has its merits.:P
½ August 11, 2008
A distasteful romance with a manipulative main character who's never as charming as the filmmakers intend.
August 31, 2007
nice commedy with my favourite Madeleine Stowe, lovely.
½ August 1, 2007
Totally a chick flick, but still enjoyable. Thing is you know how the story will end within the first 20 min ... Keeper for the girls in your life.
½ July 20, 2007
I want to be a weatherman
June 18, 2007
its a great movie in terms of a "manchick flick", so get the popcorn and have like a movie night with a couple fo your buddies and their partner to enjoy this movie.
CloudIsAMonkey
April 6, 2007
What's worth winning? Oh, I can't stand the suspense!!
Liloh
½ March 15, 2007
<(O)> <(O)> HE HAD EVERYTHING THAT ANY OTHER MAN COULD HAD WISHED.