Written on the Wind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Written on the Wind Reviews

June 1, 2013
Topping The Magnificent Ambersons as the best family drama that I ever gonna watch
April 23, 2013
Another masterpiece by Sirk who always seems hide some subversive themes within all of his work. All of the actors rise to the occasion for the master director.
April 18, 2013
A true soap opera, but so good and much more adult than I expected. Hints of sexual perversion and incest, overt alcoholism and a fantastic color scheme (check out that pink hotel). Everybody in it is just soooooo attractive.
February 6, 2013
Was completely lost for the first 20-30 minutes but once I was into it, I was INTO it.
½ January 25, 2013
Awesome Douglas Sirk. Probably my favorite after All That Heaven Allows. Fairly simple story but told as beautifully and brilliantly as possible.
November 28, 2012
"Written in the Wind" might be a timeless classic to some, but I found it to be a dated melodrama. Robert Stack's over-the-top millionaire playboy was almost painful to watch, but not as painful as Lauren Bacall's eye rolling performance. The two are meant to be a contrast with Rock Hudson's Mitch Wayne and Dorothy Molone's Marylee, two people of more modest means who are targets of the rich sibling's troubled affections. A predicable, boring and morose tale, its not one I would watch again anytime soon.
November 21, 2012
If you thought Dallas with over the top thenDouglas Sirks 1956 melodrama really does have it all but like that other great studio director Nicholas Ray its what Sirks smuggles into the film that makes it interesting.

The film deals with the dysfunctional Hadleys oil barrons who wreak destruction and havoc and affect everyone around them.
Robert Stack plays Kyle Hadley a huge boozer who cant fulfill his wifes desires to have children and has a very homoerotic realtionship with his best friend Mitch played by Rock Hudson.
His Sister Marleee Hadley is a nymphomaniac who when spurned by Mitch goes into local sleazy dive bars and picks up undesirable men.

Their father Jasper is a sick man and has more respect for Mitch than the unrelaible and soused Kyle who's wife is played by Lauren Bacall

Sirk throws everything into the mix including Murder ,Blackmail Miscarriages and loads of phallic symbols with the use of Oil wells and pumps making the film a real soapy classic.
But Sirk is also challenging the homespun views of 50s Americana by having all the darkness at the heart of that dream and how the threat of total breakdown is never far away.

Its easy to see why directors ranging from Todd Haynes to Rainer Werner Fassbinder hold Sirks films in such high regard.

The performances stay the right side of camp and Stack plays the drunk Kyle for all he is worth.
Dorothy Malone plays the nympho role with huge relish and the whole film really is a precursor to the Dallas and Dynasty soaps of the 80S.
Top grade melodrama from a master of the art.
½ October 18, 2012
Yep, this has Sirk's fingerprints all over it.
October 14, 2012
Embora não tenha a mesma carga drmaática das obras-primas de Sirk, esse filme agrada pelo clima novelão e por todos os comentários nas entrelinhas típicos do diretor.
½ October 9, 2012
I get why people like Sirk, I do. But I don't. Emoting is not acting, Ms. Malone.
September 19, 2012
high drama as ONLY douglas sirk could do i love this pic
September 14, 2012
Yeah... a tad over-dramatic for my liking at times - that scene where Kyle is meant to be dreaming is one of many examples. Not short of a few corny lines either, "Pardon me if I seem to be brushing you out my hair", says a deadpan Lauren Bacall as she combs her locks *cringe*. And yet, somehow, it's still highly watchable. Go figure!
September 9, 2012
Precisely the type of hell men think of should the phrase "chick flick" be raised, while simultaneously the nirvana woman love to deny loving. A Texas oil family anguishs over the discovery that money (cue the symphony orchestra) can't buy me love. Bacall alone refuses to submit to this pleased-with-itself debauchery that meekly pretends to disdain wealth.
½ August 28, 2012
Extolls the virtues of sound stage productions. Strong melodramatic plot and acting with presence.
½ June 7, 2012
Upon watching "Written on the Wind" (or any of Douglas Sirk's other Hollywood works, such as "All That Heaven Allows" or "Imitation of Life"), it's not at all hard to see how his genre of specialty - boldly colourized melodramas of tycoons and socialites - quickly dissolved into the soup of TV soap operas that persist to this day. Not that Sirk is to blame. On the contrary, it is his elegant visual sensibilities and tactful way with actors that make such "women's weepies" (as they were so called) tolerable viewing. Of particular note in this picture is Dorothy Malone's scintillating performance as the evil temptress with a knack for spreading wicked ideas. Still, with the script as maudlin and bathetic as it is, Sirk's guiding hand can only make the best of a bad situation.
April 3, 2012
Melodramatic to the extreme!
February 29, 2012
Robert Stack and Dorothy Malone make the film.
Mr Awesome
February 17, 2012
An advertising secretary (Lauren Bacall) gets swept up in a love triangle amonst two friends, one a millionaire playboy (Robert Stack) and the other is an employee of the millionaire father's company (Rock Hudson). It is apparent the millionaire playboy is something of a drinker but it's his very vulnerability that lures the secretary away to fall in love with him. Soon, the two are married and it's the friend who's stuck carrying the torch for her. Meanwhile, he's being pursued by the millionaire's sister, who happens to be the town floozy (and someone he wants nothing to do with).

It's the stuff of soap operas and melodramas, but this fifties movie with it's fifties sensibilities has a lot of charm to it. The sister, Dorothy Malone, won an oscar for her over-the-top she-vixen role, and Robert Stack was nominated for his portrayal as well. The story moves briskly albeit predictably.
½ February 17, 2012