Wuthering Heights Reviews

• Jan 07, 2021

Absolutely unwatchable. Could not make it 20 minutes in, terrible acting, strange casting. Don't waste your time.

• Sep 23, 2020

This 1992 version of Wuthering Heights has some scenic moments on rocks and hills. Juliette Binoche is beautiful and fragile as Cathy. Hearhcliff is played by Ralph Fiennes who can overdo a heavy look. The music overwhelms most of the film. The film has an impossible job of overshadowing previous film. Watch worthy though for comparison sake.

• Apr 03, 2020

Actors are good, and there is the sense of depth required... However, the problems from the original book come with it.

• Oct 27, 2019

Not the best adaptation but not the worst of this classic. This version does have the benefit of presenting the full story of the many generations, but therein lies its problems too. When trying to cram all of that in to a feature length film, you don't get the years of struggle and desperation by Heathcliff truly realised which make him a more sympathetic character - and not just a vindictive asshole. This film is very well cast, but due to editing, script, etc. the actors - especially Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche, who are obviously exceedingly capable, are not able to do justice to our famous unrequited lovers.

• May 15, 2019

I am taking an adult education class on Wuthering Heights, a book I probably first read at 12 or so. I was interested in seeing how it would have been adapted to the screen. As I dislike Sir Larry, I chose not to watch the Olivier version and chose the Ralph Fiennes' outing because anyone who has seen him in Coriolanus or in Shaw's Man and Superman knows how frightening Fiennes can be. The worst offense in this version was to not write a part for Juliette Binoche. She was left to simply giggle as Catherine. Binoche is a much better actress than that and the role as written insulted her talent. She was left to be a remarkably beautiful face. Period. Fiennes was given a lank and greasy looking wig and dressed as he might have been to take the Lone Ranger's side as Tonto or to run in buckskins as Natty Bumpo. In addition to dressing Fiennes as Jay Silverheels, the movie's resemblance to The Last of the Mohicans, the film also brought to mind the current Poldark. The film was most true to Bronte's novel when it was violent.

• Dec 29, 2018

There is a huge effort for giving the viewers a well-made film. The interpretation of both, Binoche and Fiennes, are terrific. Although its characters does not seem to be as young as they are in the books, every other aspect of the film is correct: the location, the music, and the narration, for instance. These features immerse you in the story as much as the book absorbs you.

• Sep 24, 2017

Amazing score by Sakamoto, some nice cinematography but no comparison to the 1939 version

• Sep 17, 2017

Favorite version of one of my absolute favorite movies!

Favorite version of one of my absolute favorite movies!

• Jan 01, 2017

One of the best movies i have seen, where you can get the "experience" of reading a novel but through watching on screen, the dark theme and the winter-moor setting, adds artistic value.

• Mar 31, 2016

Wonderfully earthy, and gritty version....Loved Ralph Fiennes as sultry, moody ,Heathcliffe, Juliette Binoche is a beauty