X2: X-Men United - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X2: X-Men United Reviews

October 10, 2016
I really liked it. And if has Brian Cox in it; one of my favorite actors.
October 4, 2016
What a the action packed movie with good fights it keeps getting better! More superheroes get involved so that makes it exciting!
October 2, 2016
A superhero film for the ages.
September 24, 2016
My All Time favourite movie ever. It has surprising twists, great special effects, excellent cast and some emotional wallop too, perfect. Absolutely perfect!
September 18, 2016
84%
X2 is more character-driven than the first installment, and is more emotionally involving as a result.

V: 74%
September 8, 2016
So so... Nothing fanastic, nothing terrible.
August 30, 2016
Solid sequel that ups the ante in Marvels X-Men catalogue.
Greater, more epic action, a taut script, and solid performances, even if the characters dont get developed, you will barely notice with all the comic nuances and witty banter.

Good stuff.

5 flying bridges out of 5
August 26, 2016
Name a superhero sequel that manages to entertain more than its predecessor. X2: X-Men United to this day is one I can easily think of with along other superhero sequels.
August 15, 2016
This was a truly great X-men movie.. but it came with a terrible pricetag.. one the franchise is still paying for today.
½ August 13, 2016
Bryan Singer is back and even better, believe it or not?

The sequel is even better than the first movie, this film was great, it had an absolutely terrific plot with amazing acting and beautiful action sequences!

Hugh Jackman was the stand out once again!
August 12, 2016
X2: X-Men United consegue ser tudo que o seu antecessor não conseguiu: uma ótima adaptação,personagens muito bem adaptados e efeitos visuais incríveis.
½ August 10, 2016
Suffers the same problem as 'X-Men', lack of development, this time on a slightly larger scale with all the new mutants popping up.
August 7, 2016
A film with a great twist, it's a good film just not great!
August 5, 2016
X2: X-men United is tightly compact with a solid cast and story, adding more to the original movie.
July 30, 2016
It has a few problems here and there, it didn't really feel like it was better than the first movie it just felt like they are the same however there are more characters and the story is darker, but although there was no character development for some characters, but otherwise it's an Excellent sequel, and a strong Addition to the franchise.

Overall score: 8/10 (Great).
As a fan of superhero movies, I'd probably rate this a 9/10
but from a filmmaking & casual movie go-er's perspective (Meaning realistic) I'll stick with an 8/10, Don't expect it to be better than its predecessor, just expect a good follow-up.
July 29, 2016
Great opening with Nighcrawler. Stryker is such a cunt. Wolverine owns this film.
½ July 21, 2016
I've often held that the sequel of a superhero film is better than the original. Most superhero film franchises start out with an origin story, so by the time the second film comes around, all the "exposition" is out of the way and the heroes can really take on some powerful villains. However, since X-Men (2000) didn't have much of an origin story, its sequel, X2 is almost relegated to the fate of a "flashback" sequel. Still, the darker tone does help set it apart from its predecessor, which is nice.

Granted, the choice of exploring Wolverine's (Hugh Jackman) past was a good one, considering the strength of the character. Heck, he got two more movies outside the main X-Men saga, so clearly he's a fan favorite. What's nice about the superhero sequel is that most comic book story arcs are short enough that they can be incorporated into a single film. In this way, X2 could almost stand by itself, much like its predecessor could. In fact, X2 almost follows the same formula as X-Men by not actually delving too deep into any single character's origin story. All the supporting characters are useful and relevant, which is important for a series that relies on the teamwork of a group of mutants.

This film also mostly avoided the trope I like to identify as "the trilogy conundrum". Because it could stand alone as its own film, especially for those already familiar with the characters and premise, there isn't a need for it to be a cliffhanger to motivate people to see the third film in the trilogy. If you can ignore the glow in the water at the end of the film, it hardly has much of a connection to X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) at all.

Pretty good as far as first sequels go, I give X-Men 2 3.5 stars out of 5.
jamrcla
July 20, 2016
Just as good as the first maybe better and had more action, Most trilogys second film are the worst as they set up for part three this does that but it's the best one which is new to me, The story was well told and easy to follow, Effects were fantastic for its time, Not to be missed.
July 18, 2016
My favorite of the X-Men movies, with a shout-out to Alan Cumming, who steals the show.
July 11, 2016
X-Men United involves a plot to destroy all of the mutants, and the X-Men must join up with Magneto in order to stop the destruction of their race. X2 is a very good comic book movie that has terrific action and is a film that we get to learn more about Wolverine's past. Overall X2 is one of the best X-Men movies ever made.