X-Men: The Last Stand - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men: The Last Stand Reviews

½ March 13, 2017
This movie has some bad scenes and some bad characters. However there are good parts about this movie and I enjoyed some scenes. People told me this movie was god awful, then I watched it and now I'm "Meh" about the movie, it isn't awful, but it wasn't any where near as good as the first two. The end fight is alright for the most part. This movie has the same problem lots of other superhero films have, it has too many characters and tries to shove as much random comic book characters in the movie as possible. This movie doesn't have a message in the movie like the other two films had that made them stand out, and that essentially makes this movie another dumb superhero movie, which is not what the first two films were about.
March 13, 2017
Hugely disappointing and fails on almost every single level.
March 13, 2017
While I don't think that this is by any means the best X-Men movie, there are a number of things I liked, and it's definitely a very entertaining movie. (Kelsey Grammer and Ian McKellen I think really shine as The Beast and Magneto in this film).
½ March 10, 2017
Um... the action sequences are good?
½ March 8, 2017
While the main players are all great and the action is arguably the best in the saga, X-Men: The Last Stand is too fast and too rushed to make any sort of emotional resonance despite some truly interesting ideas.
½ March 7, 2017
The first half is pretty much solid, but the film slowly falls apart later on with unimaginative and heavily pop-cornish comic book action, that fails to provide the efficiency and style the previous 2 films accomplished, even when the characters still work as good as they did before.
½ March 7, 2017
After X-Men 2. A massive disappointment.
March 7, 2017
Pretty fun X-Men movie besides some scenes
½ March 5, 2017
Excellent movie. Had me riveted throughout, which says a lot. Spesh effects were non-intrusive and believable. Explored ethical issues and they weren't afraid to kill off pivotal characters.

Seems to me like there's a fourth instalment, and that they left it hanging so the next team has something to work with. Best of the trilogy.
March 3, 2017
I.... Hate.... This... Movie
February 27, 2017
'X-Men' and 'X-2' are ridiculously superior to this poor and cheap excuse for a sequel. The Dark Phoenix storyline is pathetic. Your feelings for your favourite characters become redundant as Wolverine is na´ve, Jean/Dark Phoenix is made into a generic villain, Rogue is needy, Magneto is silly, Mystique is made powerless whilst Professor X and Cyclops die. This atrocity is topped off by the post-credits scene which 11 years later, we still don't have a watertight explanation for.
February 26, 2017
The action, special effects and action remain top-notch. But this comes at the cost of reducing the dramatic tension tin the first two to a few character moments and some much messier directing.
February 25, 2017
UPDATE: My heart has softened on this one over the years. I love Ellen Page. And the three main action sequences are fantastic. All the performances are strong but the script is blah. They jammed way too many X-Men characters from the comics just to be there. I get it, they are just foot soldiers in the war and fun little fan service but the story suffers because of it. This story should've been two movies and trimmed down to being a character study. Then thrown the mutants into one huge battle at the end of the fourth movie. Charles death scene and the others, particularly Magneto and Logan's reactions to it were all effective. It is much better than Wolverine: Origins. OG Rating 2 1/2 Stars OG REVIEW: I miss you Bryan Singer. But I'm glad he did Superman. This movie bites. Good action but too much story not done right. And really, 1 hour and 27 minutes?!?!?! Really!!!?!?!?! 87 minutes for an X-Men movie. 87 Minutes to tell one of the most important and biggest stories in the history of comics. Definitely one of the biggest if not THE biggest X-Men stories ever written and you fucking did it like this?!?!! Are you shitting me!? Ratner can only direct one person, Chris Tucker. How the hell you going to hand him a franchise like this? There are some great moments in this movie, the final scene, Kelsey Grammar as beast. But Jesus how do you waste such a cool character like Angel and even more so waste such a talented actor like Ben Foster. That's what hurts the most about this movie, the missed opportunities. The flashes of brilliance snuffed out but incompetent story telling and directing. This movie is bad but it does contain one of the greatest scenes in the entire X-Men movie saga, the death of Professor X. Such an emotionally powerful and beautiful scene that it just chalks it up to promise unfulfilled. That scene and Wolverine's "Not for them. For you." mercy killing keeps this from being a half star affair.
February 23, 2017
Every franchise has a low point. For some it's a scene or maybe a full act of a film. For the X-Men series, it's The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. After two acclaimed outings to kick off the new age of the superhero genre, The Last Stand is just about as goofy and messy as you can get. It nearly killed the franchise.

The reason comic fans are still yearning for a Dark Phoenix adaptation is because this film did a poor job of giving fans anything that closely resembles the classic storyline. In fact, what makes it even worse is it's hardly an adaptation at all. The first chunk of the movie certainly seems to indicate a Dark Phoenix direction, but once she has a big showdown with Charles Xavier in her childhood home, it becomes a movie way more about the cure than Jean Grey. It also doesn't help that Jean Grey's phoenix alter ego resembles another absolutely insane Famke Janssen villain, Xenia Onatopp. Yes, she also turns to an intimate make out position in an attempt to kill a few of her victims. Really, Brett Ratner?

Ratner gets a bad rap for The Last Stand, and most of it is warranted. But there are some redeemable qualities to this film. Plus, he did inherit the directing duties pretty late in the game (after Bryan Singer left a few weeks before production began because of Superman Returns). Although it still doesn't feel necessary at all, I definitely felt an emotional impact when Charles died and Wolverine killed Jean. The way those particular scenes were directed and shot made for an emotionally resonant few scenes. The action is also amped up a bit. Rightfully so, the first two films keep the action to a minimum and instead focus on story as the backbone. The Last Stand tends to do the opposite, hence another reason for the film's failure.

As with pretty much every other X-Men related film, there's no sense of continuity whatsoever. Whether it's the appearance of Moira MacTaggart or Bolivar Trask, the bad CGI used for young Charles and Erik, or the horrendous attempt at Angel as a character, The Last Stand gets a lot wrong. The grounded tone from the first two films is gone entirely. Why the heck is Juggernaut running around acting like he's from the 60's Batman TV series? Why does Pyro act like he's a worthy right hand man to Magneto? I think the questions raised here still frustrate me to this day. This could have been one of the best superhero trilogies but instead The Last Stand tries its hardest to tarnish any reputation the first few built. There are a few moments of classic X-Men joy, but it's really a bunch of nonsense for the most part.

+Some emotional moments hit

-Tone is all over the place

-Continuity issues galore

-Was this an attempt at a Dark Phoenix saga?

-Everything feels rushed

4.4/10
½ February 21, 2017
Remember seeing this on the plane while I was flying home from Poland almost 11 years ago. There were some awesome moments, like the character Jean destroying professor Xavier, and Magneto lifting the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco to connect it to Alcatraz. I tried to have fun with this, but it just felt like a wasted opportunity! I still have to check out the rest of X-2 to see if it is better than this one!
½ February 21, 2017
Trading in thoughtfulness for jokes and a thin political metaphor, the third X-Men film is a laughable entry for the series. This is even more discouraging considering how the previous film worked so hard to elevate the material and make something so memorable. The Last Stand seems intent on destroying that legacy all too soon.
February 19, 2017
2/18/2017: An ok movie, but I was hoping for much more out of the final installment of the trilogy. They tried to do too many different things with it and no one part was the great.
February 19, 2017
love this movie, I know it's a movie a lot of people love to hate but I love it the ending is still so amazing
February 8, 2017