X-Men: Days of Future Past - a Detailed Examination

With X-Men: Days of Future Past filming for a 2014 release, and a LOT of expectations resting on it, I will attempt to take a detailed look at the film, in the hopes of determining whether it will suck or not. Let's begin.

There have been 5 X-Men films:
X-Men (2000) - an awesome superhero debut by Bryan Singer, and the chemistry between Jackman and Paquin was one of the high points of the film. 4.7 Stars. 82% Tomatometer.
X2 (2003) - Bigger, bolder, better. Stars the impeccable Brian Cox as the villain, and Ian McKellen as Magneto (who actually sides with Professor X for a bit). 5 Stars, 88% Tomatometer.
X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) - Now this one really sucked, not the least of which reasons being that it was directed by Brett Ratner. 2.8 Stars, 57% Tomatometer.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) - Another doozy. Avoid. 2.6 Stars, 38% Tomatometer.
X-Men: First Class (2010) - Wow! This is my favourite X-Men film, one reason being is the awesome cast. Smooth special effects, action-packed fight scenes, and an emotional heart elevate this film to first class territory. 6 Stars! 87% Tomatometer.
Upcoming:
The Wolverine. - Looks to be really good. Don't disappoint me, Mangold!
X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Which is your fave X-Men film? Sound off in the comments.

Why it won't suck: The cast. Quite simply, the cast is epic. Shall we go through a little "starring" role call?
Starring: James MacAvoy, Sir Patrick Stewart, Michael Fassbender, Sir Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicolas Hoult, Halle Berry, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page, Shawn Ashmore, Omar Sy, and Peter Dinklage. Wow! You canNOT go wrong with a cast that good!

Why it will suck: The cast. Really, look again. There's 2 casts, of 2 movies, in one movie! And not to mention Peter Dinklage! Although he's an admittedly awesome actor, will he provide the menace and depth of the antagonists role in a film of this size? And Omar Sy? How will he hold up?
Will we be able to handle this many characters? Will Bryan Singer be able to handle this many characters?

Why it won't suck: The story. The storyline of the same name that the film is based on - Days of Future Past by Chris Claremont and John Byrne, is considered one of the all-time best X-Men comic series, and was acclaimed by both critics and audiences worldwide.

Okay, that's all I can think of for now. Sound off in the comments, giving your opinions and expertise.

So what do you think? Will X-Men: Days of Future Past be acclaimed as one of the most ambitious and brilliant superhero films ever, as I think it will be? Or will the future be far far darker?
Anthony L.
03-4-2013 05:17 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Nathan Mullally

Nathan Mullally

First Class was released in 2011.

Aug 15 - 08:06 PM

Cooper Jones

Cooper Jones

You can't put last stand and origins into your calculations because Singer said he was going to erase some of the continuity points from them

Aug 12 - 06:42 PM

John Elvidge

John Elvidge

The animated version was excellent, so I am sure that this will be THE movie of Summer 2014.

Jul 15 - 05:37 PM

Horas H.

Horas Hill

I must say I'm no expert, but I think that timetravel makes for tricky script and screenplay. But I'm looking forward to it, and will watch the movie, good or bad reviews. I was also thinking about so many characters, and I agree that it's going to be a bit of a circus of character chemistries. Obviously First Class is different to the rest of the X-men movies ( Origins: Wolverine not included) in that it presents different sides to characters viewers might not have considered, and parts that we have considered but not seen in the way it was presented to us. Based on what I've read, I think Days of Future Past will be very ambitious, original and fresh. it will definitely end up on my movie shelf.

Mar 23 - 07:46 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile