X-Men: Days of Future Past - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men: Days of Future Past Reviews

½ April 12, 2018
mingling the original trilogy's iconic elements with the cast of 'x-men: first class' was a genius idea. and it lived up to its potential by appeasing the series' fans and quite literally giving more than what was asked for. the script itself is a scruple - it doesn't have a whole lot of depth. though the seventh in the franchise is an epic narrative, surpassing the others except perhaps the brilliant 'x-men 2'.
½ April 7, 2018
X-Men is probably has been the most consistent and inconsistent comic book film franchises in history. To see the continuation of an original generation and the younger generation come together in a cohesive story is not easy to figure out. However, it happens to serve the best X-Men film to date. The balance is a bit off between the two timelines, but the characters and the tension between humans and mutants is very prominent. The action in this movie is chilling, yet the real battle is in the characters themselves. Luckily the emphasis on drama doesn't turn you off, as it gives you the biggest struggles in the X-Men universe.
April 4, 2018
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" is a much more grounded, well-balanced installment for Fox.

The ultimate X-Men ensemble fights a war for the survival of the species across two time periods in X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST. The beloved characters from the original "X-Men" film trilogy join forces with their younger selves from the past, "X-Men: First Class," in order to change a major historical event and fight in an epic battle that could save our future.

Coming off "X-Men: First Class", this was certainly an entirely different shift. Having already watched it once and continually watching the brutal fight scenes over and over, I finally got to sit down and re-watch the whole thing again. And while it wasn't as good as I remember it being, it's still a really solid, fun, and dark superhero film that we don't get to see too often these days.

One thing that's fantastic about this film is just the sheer brutality and darkness of this movie. This, along with the future release of "Logan", are both examples of superhero films that are a lot more dark and brutal, but are still really fun. The fight scenes in this film looked beautiful but they were simultaneously so terrifying. The action was absolutely brutal and they didn't hold back on much. I thought that they really took advantage of the time-travel plot here, allowing them to push the limits of character fates and what they could do with them. I thought that was easily one of the best aspects of this film and it stands out from a lot of superhero films.

Another thing that was good but I'm still conflicted about was the story. I thought the story was really interesting and thought out here but it really throws a kink in the entire universe. What this film essentially does is it makes almost every other X-Men film non-canon. That's pretty crazy and a curious decision if I say so myself. I mean, some things stay relatively the same but for the most part, the story changes things forever. And that's the thing with time travel. Time travel is so interesting but it creates so many different holes and questions. However, for the most part, I actually thought that they did a pretty good with their execution here and the story was still really captivating.

I guess the thing I was mostly questionable on was making Magneto one of the prime villains. I understand based on his character and mindset that he would become a prime antagonist in this film, but it felt like more an annoyance than a benefit for us. When I say benefit, I guess I mean entertaining or sensible. Either way, I thought his portrayal of his character, along with everyone else's portrayal, were all really solid. Everyone, from James McAvoy, Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Patrick Stewart, and everyone else, were all fantastic. It was cool to see two different periods of X-Men (Past and Present versions) on the screen at the same time. It was really fun and these are some of the best performances I've seen from some of these people in the entire franchise.

In the end, this was certainly a fun and dark film. It's one of the better X-Men films in the franchise, if not the second best entirely.
April 3, 2018
I LOVE THIS FILM SOOOOOOOO MUCH
½ March 30, 2018
Memorable, fresh and imaginative.
March 30, 2018
The most interesting, emotional and rewarding installment in the X-Men franchise. An absolute must-see for superhero and especially X-Men fans.
March 27, 2018
An example of what X-Men movies should be like.
March 19, 2018
This is probably my favorite non-Logan X-men movie. The whole movie is executed in an incredible way, with great directing very good acting and interesting characters. I feel like it's a movie that defiantly deserves recognition as one of the best superhero movies.
March 14, 2018
There's a lot of movie packed in this latest X-Men installment that does come with a lot of confusion at first, but it turns out to be a pretty dang satisfying, and truly back-to-form, sci-fi experience.
March 10, 2018
Decent. I still it may be one of the more solid ones out of the X-Men franchise. A couple interesting twists that will make you think
March 6, 2018
Great action, a high amount of suspense, and an amazing cast make this film well worth your time.
March 3, 2018
Having watched many big budget super hero films I can take them or leave them generally, this film is different! A very enjoyable romp.
March 1, 2018
One of the better X-Men movies. I liked Quicksilver. He was a great addition to the cast. The cast worked well together without anyone overstaying their storyline looking for excessive screen time. Own it on blu ray and still like watching it,
½ February 19, 2018
Another rushed telling of a classic x-men story that really could have covered 2 films at least.
Jackman is Awesome as always while lawrence is annoying as usual.
½ February 17, 2018
The X-Men universe is confusing as shit...So this movie is here to change that. Days Of Future Past comepletely resets the timeline in an amazing, and fun to watch way, creating the 2nd best X-Men film in the process..
February 11, 2018
The action scenes in this are phenomenal. It's also nice to see a lot of Marvel characters and how they have to work with each other!
½ February 3, 2018
X-men enjoyable, but not at the same level as the Avengers story line. Would be so much better if Marvel regained control of this franchise. I still love the stories and the characters and the time jumps were cool. Quicksilver steals the show.
February 1, 2018
I wanted to like this film more, I really did. As a fan of the X-Men cartoon of the 90s, a casual fan of the comics, and a fan of the first iteration of the live action X-Men, the fact that the producers chose this story line from the comic books was a disappointment. The leaps of logic of how to stop the sentinels apocalypse was absurd, and i can't say watching the team chase Mystique around was terribly thrilling. The entire movie was surprisingly dull to the point where i was looking at the clock a little too often.
January 27, 2018
Best X-men movie I've ever seen
½ January 20, 2018
exceptional, only bad is the poor participation of wolverine of future