X-Men: Days of Future Past - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men: Days of Future Past Reviews

September 5, 2017
A perfect comic book film. With Bryan Singer back at the helm of the directing position with this franchise,"X-Men:Days Of Future Past" isn't only the best film in the series,it's one of the best comic book films,period. Now in the future where sentinels take over and destroy mutants,Wolverine goes back into the past to stop from events to,not happen in the future. Hugh Jackman does most of the leading here and does a splendid and superb job and James McAvoy does so good here that he deserve award nominations,even an Academy Award nomination for his work as the younger Professor X. The supporting cast here is great and they make this film that you could watch for the rest of your life!!!! "X-Men:Days Of Future Past" is a film that delivers with wonderful performances,great and memorizing action sequences,great special effects and a very good written story and script,this is a film that everyone should see weather you are a comic book fan or not
½ September 4, 2017
Confusing But F*cking Awesome
September 2, 2017
I'm not much of a X-Men fan I just find it boring
½ August 21, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Well, the days are past when we can see X-Men: Days of Future Past.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) I predict that in the immediate future, we ll review this movie. Let s begin.

GREG: Our story begins in the not-too-distant future where robots with amazing morphing capabilities (Sentinels) are hunting the X-Men to extinction. Young Kitty Pryde (Ellen Page) is able to send messages into the past by mind-melding with another X-Man. She is visited by Professor X, Magneto, and Wolverine (Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman) who want her to send Wolverine s consciousness back in time to 1973 where he must convince young Charles Xavier and Max Eisenhardt (Professor X and Magneto) to team up and change the dystopian future that awaits them if they cannot prevent mutant Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) from killing the inventor of the Sentinels, Dr. Bolivar Trask (Peter Dinklage).

SCOTT: Wolverine goes back to 1973 and convinces a young, broken Xavier to stop Mystique from killing Trask. Wolverine enlists the aid of Quicksilver (Evan Peters), whose super-speed enables them to free Magneto from a prison cell beneath the Pentagon in Washington. In Paris, where American and Vietnamese representatives are negotiating the end of the war, Mystique attempts to assassinate Trask but her plan is thwarted. Magneto decides that killing Mystique is the only way to foil her plan, complicating Wolverine and Xavier s mission. When President Nixon approves the Sentinel program, all hell breaks loose as the X-Men try to stop Mystique while battling Trask, the Sentinels, and Magneto himself.

GREG: Scott, Marvel does it again. This is a story full of action, suspense, and thrills. Nobody creates a complete story the way Marvel studios does. There are at least a dozen stars, although the story centers around Wolverine and the young Charles and Magneto. There isn t a wasted moment both in terms of the plot or in the on-screen action. This is a complete win in terms of both story and special effects. There are plenty of heroes to choose from here. In the future, all of the remaining X-Men are battling to save their world. In the past, Charles is the one with the most transforming to undergo. And undergo it he does. We see him start out as a beaten man, taking drugs to make his legs work, which also dulls his mental powers. Wolverine is all action and no growth (which is the mold he filled in last year s The Wolverine). And we look for growth in Max/Magneto but he falls into his old patterns and devolves into a villain again.

SCOTT: You nailed it, Greg. Marvel is on a roll this summer with yet another rich, dense, and ambitious story of super-heroism and super-villainy. Like Spider-Man 2, which we reviewed recently, X-Men: Days of Future Past has many characters, but not too many; it has a complicated plot, but not too complicated; and it conveys messages about life and virtue that resonate with us all. Almost without exception, the characters in this movie attract and maintain our interest. They show depth and nuance, and they behave in surprising ways. They also delight us with their quirky, memorable inner qualities and behavior. We have an ensemble hero cast, with Wolverine and Professor Xavier serving as the main hero duo within the ensemble. In any good story, the hero undergoes a transformation, and as you note, Greg, Wolverine doesn t change much in this movie. But Xavier is radically transformed. During the flashback to 1973, Xavier is a lost soul, bitter about the toll that the Vietnam War has taken on his school and also resentful about having to choose between the loss of his legs or the loss of his mental powers. With help from Wolverine, Xavier grows to see beyond his disability, deciding to sacrifice the use of his legs so that he can access his superior mental abilities which will help defeat Trask and the Sentinels.

GREG: There are villains a-plenty here as well. Mystique walks the line as she stalks Trask with murder on her mind. But she s stopped at the last minute. We get to the end of the story and she appears to turn to the side of good, but it is a bit ambiguous where she goes from there. We see the familiar brother pattern that we saw in Spider-Man 2 - two close friends start out with a common cause but are separated by ideology by the end of the story. Xavier and Magneto work together at first, but Magneto ultimately returns to his diabolical ways. He s certain that the only way forward is a war between mutants and humans, and as a result, he becomes the opposition force in the end. Then there s the overlord villain in the form of Trask. This villain is bent on the destruction of anyone who doesn t fit his idea of pure and will do whatever it takes to kill off every mutant. His lack of selflessness and caring make him the typical evil villain.

SCOTT: For me, the primary villain here is Trask. He s an interesting villain in that his motives aren t entirely evil. Trast genuinely wants to protect the world but he overestimates the threat that the mutants pose and cannot entertain the possibility of living in a world where mutants and non-mutants can co-exist. This is a common shortcoming of villains. They see divisions between people, and often exaggerate those divisions, whereas heroes seek cooperative unity between people. One other note about Trask - he is a dwarf, which in a way is an unfortunate choice as it suggests that villainy and physical deviance are somehow connected. But it s also not uncommon in fables and mythic tales for villains to be physically different from the norm. If nothing else, Marvel makes movies that resonate with ancient storytelling. The Sentinels are a formidable foe, showing an invincibility against the X-Men s powers. Again, this movie invokes a common pattern in storytelling by showing us a main villain, Trask, who enlists the aid of a monolithic herd of henchmen, and in this case they are diabolical, technologically sophisticated instruments of evil.

GREG: I thoroughly enjoyed myself at X-Men: Days of Future Past. The story was well-told (although a bit thin in places) and there weren t too many plot holes. The special effects were seamless and abundant, but always in support of the story. The characters were rich and colorful - literally. I really can t find fault with any aspect of the presentation and so I award the film 5 out of 5 Reels. The heroes were many and varied. There were the war-weary heroes of the future and the innocent verging on naive heroes of the past. While Wolverine doesn t grow much, it is Charles Xavier who overcomes his inner demons and shows us a transformation worth the price of admission. I give them all 4 out of 5 Heroes. In classic Marvel fashion, the villains were as potent as the heroes. This gives our heroes something to work against. The powerful Trask and his high-tech Sentinels were an oppressive force to be reckoned with. And Magneto started out as an ally kept true to his wicked self and turned into the villain he needs to be for the X-Men universe to maintain some sense of conflict and tension. I give them 4 out of 5 Villains. Movie: Villains: Heroes:

SCOTT: Once again, Marvel constructs a movie that is deliciously meaty and doesn t insult its audience s intelligence at all. Anyone who enjoys superhero movies should thoroughly enjoy X-Men: Days of Future Past. Besides delighting us with great characters and a juicy plot, the movie gives us several thoughtful take-home messages, the main one focusing on the role of adversity in shaping our destiny and character. This wisdom is far from original but it is used effectively to help young Xavier transform himself. This film is a terrific two-hours spent in the theater, and I award it 4 Reels out of 5. As I ve noted, the hero duo of Wolverine and Xavier truly shines, as we not only witness the transformation of Xavier but also the transformation of their friendship. All of these characters are complex, including those of a couple of the X-Men (Magneto and Mystique) who defy simple categorization of good or evil. This ensemble is impressive and the duo within it shines. I m happy to award them all 4 out of 5 Heroes. You re right on target about the villains, Greg. Trask, the Sentinels, Magneto, and Mystique are all either fully villainous or show streaks of villainy. Another oppositional force that Xavier must contend with is his own inner demons. The Marvel universe works so well on so many levels, including the interpersonal and intrapersonal levels. The villains here are all great fun and make us think, too, which is great praise for any movie. I give them 4 out of 5 Villains. Movie: Villains: Heroes:
August 13, 2017
THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST OF THE SERIES! I love this movie! The plot was amazing, the visuals were spectacular & the whole cast was amazing! A MUST WATCH!!!!
August 7, 2017
DOFP is a classic comic book story arc. The source material is incredibly dated, and the premise of travelling back in time to change an apocalyptic future is the main drive of The Terminator films. However, DOFP was published in 1981- 3 years before Sarah Connor was stalked through time. Singer's return to the director's chair is a straight sequel to First Class, and doesn't depend on the other five X-Men movies to tell its story. Playing on the concept of alternate timelines, DOFP offers a new alternative to correcting the path of franchises- write your way out of it, instead of the reboot recycle approach. While the film doesn't feel beholden to these other films (liberties are taken with continuity), there are a few awkward moments of exposition and narrative leaps of faith that the audience is expected to go along with. The x-Men franchise arrived in a time where comic book heroes were not fashionable in cinema, and it still feels like it's trying to cover up a connection to source material it's a little bit embarrassed by. In trying to take a mature approach, in between some fun sequences (Quicksilver is fun, but underused) it's actually quite boring, and not nearly the compelling commentary on civil rights it seems to think it is. The franchise continues to suffer by meeting the compromising standards of being "the best we could hope for"; it certainly was that case 15 years ago, but in the age of Marvel Studios the bar has been raised and the audience is no longer ashamed of the comic book roots.
August 6, 2017
The best way to do a "reboot," Days of Future Past surpasses our expectations and learns the mistakes of some of the previous films in this franchise.
½ August 5, 2017
This is the best X-Men movie. Fight me. First, the acting in this movie is phenomenal. Hugh Jackman being Hugh Jackman, Evan Peters bringing much needed talent to the role of Quicksilver, James McAvoy doing a great job as young Xavier, and Peter Dinklage in a god damn X-men movie, need I go on? Other than the amazing cast, the action is over-the-top as usual, there's a nice cameo from Storm, Colossus, Blink, Iceman, and Kitty Pride, and the fantastic "Time in a Bottle" scene made even better by Evan Peters' performance. A wild ride, and a great way to reboot the franchise. Way to go, Fox.
July 24, 2017
Packed with old and new cast, X-Men: Days of Future Past is a amazing movie packed with great visuals, brilliant acting and interesting story.
½ July 22, 2017
Some people argument that the "X-Men" cinematic universe is kind of messy, confused and unorganized. Maybe in some moments it is, but if you watch every movie in this franchise in a row, like a mega marathon, you'll become instantly a fan, a huge fan. Especially when you have a movie like this that can reunite all the characters and their respective arcs. It has just a little little issue, i mean just a air ... this movie is sensational!
July 16, 2017
While this movie seemed to just be Fox's way to reset their at that point resent flops. And while years later we've realized that it only just F'd up a timeline leading to later flops like X-Men Apocalypse. This doesn't change the fact that this was a good if not great movie

7.9/10 on the Wubby Scale
July 16, 2017
Great film not better than logan though
July 15, 2017
My favourite of all the X-Men movies
½ July 13, 2017
Days of Future past is not only my favorite X-Men movie yet, but it's one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen with it's strong plot, great cast, and complex narrative.
July 12, 2017
Bryan Singer returns in perfect form with Days of Future Past. An action-packed, poignant and emotional prequel/sequel.
July 10, 2017
One of the best movies I ever seen!
July 6, 2017
One of the most ambitious things ever attempted on film, Days of Future Past manages to blend what worked in both X-Men trilogies into one well woven story. The cast works remarkably well together and, combined with dazzling visuals, puts this in the conversation for the best X-Men film.
July 5, 2017
If there is a perfect superhero movie, it's this one. Brian Singer captures the heart of his first movies and the style of Matthew Vaughn's First Class to make something dark, entertaining, heartbreaking while also heartwarming, and overall incredible. The only complaint to have is that the ending sets up a hard challenge for the next chapters in the series to work with, but it's not a problem with this movie, it's a problem with the next ones to come.
July 3, 2017
X-Men: Days of Future Past is complex, thrilling and brilliant, and energized by strong script and performances to become an outstanding superhero action film.