X-Men: First Class - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men: First Class Reviews

August 15, 2016
Is in download queue right now
August 15, 2016
My 2nd Fav X-Men movie of all time after APOCALYPSE! (5/5)
½ August 14, 2016
X-Men: First Class revived the X-Men franchise after abominations such as Last Stand and Origins: Wolverine. Following Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr before they were arch-rivals, the movie takes place in the spark of the Cold War, and the only people able to stop this issue, the birth of the X-Men. Led by fantastic performances by James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender, and a villain played by Kevin Bacon who has at this point, stopped dancing, and became an actor that deserves to be taken seriously.
August 14, 2016
- OMG I thought that lady was Steve Buscemi.
- Aaaand that's Kevin Bacon as a Nazi.
- In an unfortunate turn of events, Kevin has shot not-Steve-Buscemi.
- Professor Xaviar is a playa with the ladies.
- It's refreshing to see a futuristic movie with roots in the 40's. Just learned that Magneto was in a concentration camp as a kid. This explains certain things.
- Whoa.
- ZOMG Hank McCoy worked on the SR-71 Blackbird!
- The decor, sets, outfits, cars, lamps, are all AWESOME!
- Kevin Bacon is now in his groovy submarine with a mutant that turns into diamond, parked at their Arctic Circle base. Very Bond.
- Hee hee. Now Xavier & Magneto are recruiting mutants. They meet Wolverine, and the first words he utters in the movie are "Go fuck yourselves," while lighting a filthy, chomped on stogie. It's the best possible introduction ever made of a character.
- The secret submarine has a secret hidden room!
- This is the best origins story I think I've ever seen. All their motivations, how all the wars start, how the dichotomy of non-mutants & mutants was created, and how it parallels genocide of the Nazi regime. How good people make bad decisions in the name of good.
- WW3 is about to start. Neither side wanted to. One mutant is politically manipulating both sides into reacting naturally. Reaction is a powerful force.
- Prof X is training the mutants to use their (sometimes powerfully devastating) powers. Without emotion or in reaction. With intention and precision. Discipline. An interesting model for training emotions. "I believe true focus likes somewhere between rage & serenity."
- Whoopsie doodle. That gene isolation experiment did not go as planned.
- I think one of the mutants is Ron Weasely. This is a confusing turn of events.
- And that, with the help of mutants, is why WW3 didn't start. No, really!
- The mutants stopped the mutants from starting WW3. Now the humans, previously divided, galvanize into unity against the mutants. The Mutants, still split, both decide how to defend themselves. What a story.
August 13, 2016
A fresh take on the x-men mutants like you've never seen before, and if you couldn't tell, that's a good thing.
August 13, 2016
A very interesting young cast makes a life saving film in the X-Men franchise.

The last two installments in the X-Men franchise ("X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)") were not near as strong as the first two establishments ("X-Men (2000)" and "X2 (2003)"), so the franchise was slipping, but here comes the "First Class" to save the day!

David McAvoy and Michael Fassbender play very interesting roles as the younger versions of Charles Xavier / Professor X and Erik Lehsner / Magneto. Also Jennifer Laurence is great as a young Mystique.

This film set up some continuity errors in the franchise, but it was very worth it because this film was very interesting with a great story and an absolute must see!
August 11, 2016
Brilliant movie! Great cast, wonderful direction, and intelligent writing! One of the best comic adaptations of all time!
August 10, 2016
Biting of the same amount that 'X-Men' did, this time having the ability to chew it. 'X-Men: First Class' takes more time with developing it's characters, but it doesn't mean it couldn't have taken more...
August 7, 2016
A great first film to the reboot, James M and Michael F do excellent jobs at replacing Patrick S and Ian M. A great overall film!
½ August 5, 2016
X-men first cast is a fun and stylish take on the franchise, McAvoy and Fassbender were amazing together and it definitely brought back a franchise that will thrive again.
August 3, 2016
7.0 on 10

I am a man of wealth and taste.
July 30, 2016
Honestly I never expected this to be good at all since there was no Wolverine in it. But it's Surprisingly a very good prequel to the X-Men movies, Mathew Vaughn is definitely an amazing director. The best thing about the movie is that it has a unique story, a well plot, and the casting was perfect, I really like Fassbender as Magneto more than Ian McKellen, and the same goes to James McAvoy as Charles Xavier. Other than that the rest of the cast were great, but I feel like the inappropriate scenes were unnecessary and weren't really funny for me. But otherwise this was truly an enjoyable film and a strong addition to the franchise and to a new era.

Overall score: 8/10 (Great).
As a fan of superhero movies, I'd probably rate this a 9/10
but from a filmmaking & casual movie go-er's perspective (Meaning realistic) I'll stick with an 8/10, Recommended for fans who were disappointed after X-Men: The Last Stand & to casual movie-goers.
July 27, 2016
While prequels always hold the distinction of being the one type of movie that you know how it will end, seeing how they get there is certainly entertaining. Much like the Star Wars prequels gave us a point before the original trilogy to learn more about the background of the characters, the X-Men prequels manage to do this, but with a much better result. My only major qualm with prequel trilogies is that, while the mainstays of the franchise were there in terms of characters, the only ones who maintained their actor from the first set of movies were relegated to cameo appearances. This is only heightened by my opinion that the original X-Men trilogy's cast was perfect in almost every way. That being said, with the prequel trilogy now complete, the younger cast has definitely grown on me as well, James McAvoy's Xavier being my favorite of the prequel group.

Because X-Men: First Class starts well in the past, it does follow the "origin story" plot, not only of its main players like Professor Xavier (James McAvoy) and Magneto (Michael Fassbender), but of the start of the X-Men themselves. What's also nice about this is, because it occurs in the historical past, a certain element of "altered history" is present to make the whole plot feel somewhat more anchored in reality. It was also fun to see the X-Men in the trappings of the 1960's as well.

Of course, since this film came out more than a decade after X-Men (2000), the visual effects were certainly better than they had been. I appreciate the work Matthew Vaughn brought to this series as well. He's no Bryan Singer, but his directing was at least better than Brett Ratner.

With a retro feel and some flashy effects, this prequel was an entertaining film to watch. I give X-Men: First Class 4.0 stars out of 5.
½ July 25, 2016
This is a prequel to other X men Films but i hated that the beginning is similar to the first movie, There were a bunch of cool superpowers and the cgi didn't fail once, I got to be not too rough on the humour.
It was a little serious but most of it was amazing.
I Loved it, Even if it had particular begins and similar endings, some can tell you there will be another sequel. and the powers in this movie were Awesome!

Score: more than 87%, About 92%, (A.K.A: 9/10)
July 24, 2016
just out my mind good
½ July 22, 2016
I have seen many of the X-Men films. I seem to dig them, but I can't stand most of the other Marvel stuff. I believe the "X-Men" film from 2000 was one of the first DVD-films I saw with surround and everything. Very good stuff. Later on I have seen several other films of the series, maybe all of them, but I don't think I have seen them in order, and there has been years between the films.

I like the story here, this is a solid prequel. Acion, effects and cool characters. Some with nice powers other are less cool. This is a film where you know what you are gonna get, but not how well the story are told or how the presentation are put togheter. Sure, it's predictable, sure, it's straight forward, but it works. I got few complains here and it never seem way too over the top or straight up stupid - the most important matters here for me. It also looks good. Magneto and Professor X are the characters that are best acted out, other actors are doing OK as their picked character.

One of the better action or superhero films for me, but it's not bringing much new to the table or positive surprizes. It's just what it should be, but nothing more.

7 out of 10 coins.
July 21, 2016
****
The movies a lot of fun, and Matthew Vaughn's signature touch is very much appreciated.
July 18, 2016
A well-done action movie... that falls apart once you start thinking about it.
July 17, 2016
In a class of its own among prequels, First Class hits a home run with excellent casting and a great score.
½ July 15, 2016
A gripping, intelligent, and at times moving take on the origins of the X-Men film universe that reinvigorates the franchise.