X-Men: First Class - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men: First Class Reviews

March 18, 2017
Not bad, not bad at all. Above average X-Men movie but not as good as United. My Score: 70%
March 18, 2017
Hey a pretty good xmen movie. Much better than all the ones before it in my mind.
½ March 18, 2017
Everything you want from a prequel and then some.
½ March 18, 2017
Interesting and I think best X-men out of all 5. The acting was awesome. It also deals with personal issues and is beautifully photographed. Very very very very good!
March 13, 2017
My favorite x-men movie so far, it's one heck of a movie!
½ March 11, 2017
Nice to see a superhero movie returning to telling a story.

Great action, brilliant special effects and a first class cast. The movie fits nicely with the other X-films, while feeling fresher, younger and sexier.
March 10, 2017
Although there are some bad parts to this movie and some corny lines, I still really enjoyed myself while watching this movie, and was at the edge of my seat during most of the action. Although this movie didn't have The Wolverine in it, I was fine with it while watching the movie and didn't bring the movie down in any way.
March 10, 2017
A great X-Men movie that screams the 60s. A lot of fun.
½ March 9, 2017
With Matthew Vaughn at the helm, X-Men: First Class is a classy, fun time that brings the best out of it's strong cast. The action scenes and dialogue pop with a ferocity, and breaths life into a incredibly engaging storyline.
½ March 7, 2017
It just works. And there are few scenes as dramatic and effective in any comic adaptations as the one with Magneto in the bar in Argentina. The casting is superb - although, something was a little odd about Mr. Bacon.
March 5, 2017
best x-men movie ever!
½ March 4, 2017
This movie totally rebooted the franchise, in my opinion. It was so well made, and had such a great plot. The production did a great job creating a 60's environment. Everything about it clicked, it was such a good time, and is totally reawatchable.
March 3, 2017
Great reboot that turned out to be a different timeline / reality.
March 3, 2017
Awesome movie! Probably my favourite prequel of all time. I thought that it was a great entry to the x-men series. It also inspired to make the sequel (X-Men Days of Future Past).
½ March 3, 2017
There are a lot of great things about First Class, but I think the one that sticks out to me the most (even after years and tons of viewings) is that it works as both a reboot and prequel. Even though the continuity has since been mingled with even more, this film did such a great job of resetting the universe without tarnishing what came before.

In large part, the strengths of the film lie with Matthew Vaughn's direction. Up to this point, I liked most of the X-Men films, but even the people who have loved the series would say that there wasn't much "fun" to be had. The original X-Men trilogy took itself very seriously and rightfully so. But there's something to be said for a mutant story that poses similar thought provoking questions and themes like before, while also making a fun adventure out of it. Vaughn does a wonderful job balancing the two.

Setting an X-Men film in the 1960's meant having to recast all of the recurring characters. Luckily, casting was something 20th Century Fox had no problem with. I don't think we could have dreamed of a better pairing to take over the roles of Professor X and Magneto than James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender. Perhaps, some would say that the two of them have outdone their counterparts, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan (I, myself being one of those people). Much like the film itself, McAvoy and Fassbender put their own spin on the characters, but bring enough similarity in their performance to understand the connective tissue between the pairs.

Something the new trilogy of X-Men films does incredibly well is use the decade the films are set in to enhance the overall story they were going for. First Class is set in the 60's, and uses the Cuban Missile Crisis as the film's climatic sequence. But it uses it in a way that doesn't exploit that event, instead, gives a reason for there to be tension between Charles & Erik. This film and Days of Future Past nail the relationship between those two more so than any X-Men film to date.

Going back to the fun stuff though, the rest of the mutants are made up of mostly throw away heroes and villains. No one was really asking for characters like Azazel, Riptide, Angel Salvadore, Havoc, Darwin, Banshee, or even more Mystique. But even as much as these characters could have felt like throwaway characters, Vaughn managed to build them into the story in a creative way. Everyone has their own arc and moment to shine. In fact, my favorite part of the film involves Charles & Erik recruiting, and subsequently training everyone. It's classic superhero stuff.

Overall, First Class makes good with its new cast and setting. Matthew Vaughn transitioned what was originally planned as a Magneto origin story into a wonderfully balanced comic-book adaptation. One that nails the characters motivations and mindsets in a refreshing but respectful and realistic way.

+Charles & Erik

+Recruiting & Training

+Score

+Vaughn's directing

+Setting adds to the story

9.4/10
March 1, 2017
When we are reminded of a different time and place in the world. When we are reminded how being different meant death in history. When we are reminded of our lives changed and we took a different path growing up. When we are reminded of how being different we are seen and accepted by others differently then what others may think. When we are reminded of how we used to think differently then others to make a difference in the world for good not bad. When we are reminded of how different we are when our views and ways we think are different then others may think. When we are reminded of how all things changed for us when we lived a different life, took a different path, and thought differently when we met some people that showed us a different way. When we are reminded how different we are when we are in the grips of powers and everyone has a view of how power should be used and what power does to is that makes us act differently. When we are reminded of how different we are when others choose to fight on one side and others choose to fight on another and others dont need to fight to make a differences.

When we are reminded of the date the last time we walked, talked, sought everything differently when our abilities are enhanced and others abilities were taken away. When we are reminded of how different we are that made us dedicated to the side we chose to fight and make a difference. When we are reminded of a different us that had changed for the good and for the bad. When we are reminded of how history would be totally different if we didn't take the right side, chose to fight and stop those from not accepting differences & preventing those from being different that we made the world see how being different isn't a bad thing. When we are reminded of how different we are when we embrace being different and make a difference on those hated or not accepted for being different to choose a different side to fight for being powerfully different in the world.

Visuals-5
Timing-5
Twist & Turns-4.0
Message-5.0
February 28, 2017
Really great beginning and end with a whole lot of filler in the middle. Michael Fassbender's Magneto has the only plot worth watching, which had a real Breaking Bad vibe to it, but then you get stuck with an hour of SkyHigh-esque high school drama tone, complete with two montages.
February 27, 2017
Brett Ratner nearly ruined it, but luckily Last Stand made a ton of money so they decided to prequel it. It's not a Reboot, despite some of the inconsistencies that it created in the film canon. Ratner ruins everything, you have no idea how excited I was that we were getting a Hercules movie starring the Rock, until I found out who was directing. Please stop giving this dude big franchises or potential ones and letting him ruin them. Luckily they gave this to a Kick Ass Brit director named Matthew Vaughn, who took the ball and ran away with it. First off, Casting is top notch. Especially Fassbender and McAvoy. I also fell in like with Jennifer Lawrence here(fell in love with her in Silver Linings Playbook) and as beautiful as Rebecca Romaijn is, J-Law showed what an actress at the top of her game can do with a great role like Raven/Mystique. The rest of the cast is just as fun including a scene chewing Kevin Bacon playing the baddie, but I was a little disappointed in January Jones as Emma Frost. She played it a little too frosty. It was too much like her Betty Draper character although I like her much better in Mad Men. The action is top notch but the real star here is the almost story. This is pretty much a Xavier/Eric origin story which originally was going to be two separate movies. They combined them nicely here although I'd still see standalone movies for both characters especially if they somehow incorporated Sir Patrick and Sir Ian in there somewhere. This also has one of the greatest cameos ever! Wolverine telling Professor X and Magneto to fuck off was a pure genius idea. Even tho, as I said this violates the canon, but who the hell cares, it was fantastic and it means Hugh Jackman has been in every single X-Movie and I wouldn't have it any other way.
February 26, 2017
X-Men: First Class reinvigorates the franchise with new characters as well as old, as well as new directions for the series to head. The special effects have improved drastically, and he acting hasn't gotten worse. The character development may be a bit weaker than the first two's, but not by much.