X-Men: First Class - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men: First Class Reviews

½ June 2, 2017
The whole "confusing timeline" thing aside, X-Men: First Class has the hit franchise roaring back to life following 2 films that had some enjoyable action but were never truly compelling. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender have great chemistry together with Fassbender doing a great job of portraying Erik Lenhsherr/Magneto, a troubled man who just wants to avenge his mother by killing the dude responsible for it...Kevin Bacon. The action sequences are exciting with the highlight for me being when Erik uses his powers to control metal chains to sink the villain's yacht. It manages to tell a story for events we already know are going to happen...like...you know...Xavier being handicapped...whilst still managing to remain suspenseful thanks to its script. Matthew Vaughn, thank you for helping make the X-Men great again.
½ June 1, 2017
X-Men is a franchise that has a subtext about minorities, but this movie manages to get the black character killed at the first opportunity (even though his superpower should've prevented him from dying) and treats most of the women (all demi-naked, at least once) like dependent of the white male protagonists, even though they're known to be quite independent, strong women, in source material. The movie is fun e well made but falters where it really matters.
May 30, 2017
This is what X-Men films should be. Strong character performances from McAvoy and Fassbender, as well as brilliant period directing from Vaughn, help this film stand above its fellow mutant-flicks.
½ May 30, 2017
I thought this was amazing! I enjoyed it so much my favourite x men film so far
May 13, 2017
X-Men: First Class is a refreshingly fun prequel that provides deep insight into its iconic characters and wonderfully utilizes its historical backdrop.
May 8, 2017
Not a huge fan of this franchise but this one is pretty damn good. Other than it's one of the least faithful to the source material of the decade.
½ May 7, 2017
Great rebirth of the X-Men franchise. This is largely the story of a younger, better looking, badass Magneto.
May 2, 2017
No I was bored watching this one it was not that great I thought
May 1, 2017
Can watch this film over and over and never get bored
April 30, 2017
Holy shit, this movie is really good.
½ April 30, 2017
The movie dragged on, but the plot was great.
½ April 28, 2017
Dr. MacTaggert made a stupid decision.
April 22, 2017
So awesome! Great reboot for the saga!!!
½ April 15, 2017
After the travesty of The Last Stand and Origins: Wolverine, First Class revives the franchise from the brink of death. The performances are incredible, the action is fun and intense, the directing is Oscar-worthy, and the script is very well-written.
April 14, 2017
A solid super hero film that did its best to resolve the issues weighing down the x-men franchise, with a refreshing new cast and a compelling story. The villain however was a little lackluster and basic in terms of character.
April 11, 2017
This was a pleasant surprise after the fiasco that was "Origins". This prequel has stylish action, an enthralling storyline, and a well-rounded ensemble cast.
½ April 4, 2017
A fantastic prequel to the original trilogy of X-Men films, First Class introduces a new younger cast that absolutely has the ability to carry the franchise for years. McAvoy and Fassbender are wonderful as Professor X and Magneto and lead this fun new chapter in X-Men lore.
½ March 23, 2017
One of the better X-Men movies. The characters were all cool and good. The acting was a little strange, though. But the action was good.
March 19, 2017
A bold, fun, and extremely entertaining superhero flick!

Grade: A+
March 19, 2017
I loved it. I thing the score really helped pull the emotion of various scenes adding to the intensity, Michael Fassbender's accent seemed to go in different directions. Otherwise the film really put forward a touching, light heartted introduction to the X-Men's origins with plenty of humorous moments.