X-Men: First Class - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men: First Class Reviews

½ December 28, 2016
BEASTLY movie. Other than being an awesome entertaining superhero movie, i think it was a very well made movie overall. Lots of good characters and emotional moments that make you feel what they are feeling. awesome dialogue and debating. emotionally powerful, some great and creative scenes. Lots of memorable moments. An AMAZING musical score. This movie made Magneto my favorite super villain.

SPOLIERS

A really great origin story for how the x-men first started. the final shot of the movie where magneto saving emma frost gives me the business (4 viewings)
½ December 25, 2016
X-Men: First Class is a tad long, but always involving and entertaining to watch. Thanks to a smart script, a well established conflict, superbly utilized characters and their relationships, a moving and perfectly constructed third act, many great action sequences and a surprisingly good humor as well, this entry is by far the best in the X-Men franchise while also being one of my personal favorite prequel as well as superhero films.
½ December 14, 2016
Almost a perfect x-men movie with great action and definitely has it's moments.
December 11, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: Going back and seeing the birth of these characters might sound like it's scraping the barrell, but they make 'X-Men: First Class' entirely viable by delving even further into the philosophies and reasoning of Erik and Charles. This development is aided further by a story that also studies the themes of before in more detail, and as a result of all these things you've got yourself a prequel that truly adds something to the experience when watching the original trilogy. In it's own right, it's also by far the most stylish X-Men film to date thanks to a great retro feel and an appropraite score from Henry Jackman.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The script is so desperate to establish and explain everything that it rather forgets to tell an emotionally engaging story. This tick-box accuracy means we get well-established characters and themes, but it also means we get very little time with each scene - and thus less engagement than we might expect.
VERDICT: First Class delivers a lot, but I'd rather it delivered less with more emotion.
½ December 11, 2016
First Class is a smart move that Matthew Vaughn directed becuase, after Last Stand and Origins, X-Men could go downhill but this movie redeemed it quite nicely. With an awesome younger cast such as James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawerence and Nicholas Hault. Not the best but still very good movie and one of the better reboots in a superhero movie
½ November 27, 2016
Entertaining, but it felt like they were trying to hard.
½ November 22, 2016
The greatest achievement of this film is how it makes us care so much about its characters even though we know beforehand that they are not going to die - the big curse of prequels -, while balancing a lot of action and an intelligent social commentary with absolute perfection.
½ November 12, 2016
X-men first class did well to revitalise what was a dying franchise. The casting is perfect, I love it from McAvoy and Fassbender to Rose Bryne and Jennifer Lawrence, the cast is brilliant. The screenplay is good as well and the story is well weaved into the timeline. Kevin Bacon's villain is compelling (I can't remember Bacon ever playing a villain in anything else) and the social issues of being a mutant are well displayed in this too. Impressed.
November 8, 2016
MAGNETO saves this film
½ November 7, 2016
Just didn't enjoy this one near as much as the others!
½ November 4, 2016
A great prequel to the X-Men films. Funny and filled with great action and performances.
½ October 30, 2016
Superbly directed, well-cast and with a killer score; the newest array of characters introduced into the X-Men universe are in for a treat, just as much as it's viewers. It's visual effects are uneven, and some characters are sadly left to the sidelines, but the overall experience is exciting, at times touching and thoroughly enjoyable.
½ October 28, 2016
Quite different in style to the Singer films, but equally high in quality, with a great "60s James Bond" look and fantastic effects. The cold war/Cuban missile crisis setting gives the movie high stakes that don't require loads of exposition, allowing the X/Magneto origin story to take centre stage (with the Mystique/Beast one in the near background). Everyone is well cast: McAvoy is perhaps not the immediate first choice to play "Young Charles" (who would be?), but he does fine as always; Fass is equal parts cool and menacing, his steely charisma a perfect fit for Young Erik; Kevin Bacon lifts my opinion of him another notch above indifference (that's TWO notches now!); Rose Byrne is...Rose Byrne (thankfully); Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, Zoe Kravitz, etc, are all fine, as are the older hands (O-Platt, Rade, a surprise Ironside). Matthew Vaughn pulls another brilliant (and incrementally bigger) movie out of the bag, and adds a worthy chapter to the X-Men film series. Let's hope he finally gets to direct that Bond movie one day - maybe with Fass as the next 007...
October 18, 2016
For me, this is the first good X-Men movie. Yeah, I really didn't like any of the others before this one. This not only understood that you need good CGI to pull off X-Men action, but when you have exposition, you have to make it interesting. This movie does that perfectly.
½ October 14, 2016
A great prequel to the franchise, X-Men First Class manages to give Prof. X and Magneto of their goal for mutants to be free for better or worse
October 6, 2016
Not impressed how Long is not in this movie. So that made it disappointing not a good X Men movie I would have to say
October 2, 2016
whilst not stepping back up to the dizzy heights of x-men 1 or 2 or even reaching the somewhat solid level of the last stand, it is a must see for all x-fans! james mcavoy and michael fassbender make it worth your time. some mild comedy moments also make it worth the while.
September 30, 2016
A film of halves; the first half builds things up really well with good pacing and lots of originality, there's great character work from the two leads as young versions of Xavier and Magneto, who create an electric relationship right out of the pages of the comics, and worthy successors to their previous on-screen iterations and the tone bounces from traumatic holocaust experience to goofy teenagers, yet both are solidly done. It's the second half that lets things down as things become more run-of-the-mill, more characters are introduced with the results that all of them get severely short-changed and the tones start to rub up against one other and each makes the other seem silly. The overall experience is still good, but like the young mutants of it's story, First Class doesn't quite live up to it's potential.
½ September 25, 2016
Some good moments, and done with 60's style. Excellent recasting of the younger versions of themselves. Just a bit to unnecessary grim in parts.
September 23, 2016
One of the most enjoyable films of the franchise, "X-Men: First Class" does seem a little overlong at times, is not without its clichés and its allegory is underplayed and predictable, but the very good plot, solid action and classy acting by McAvoy, Fassbender and Bacon (plus Wolverine's hilarious cameo) ensure it ranks as memorable and satisfactory. It's a prequel that really had to be told, and I doubt that Matthew Vaughn along with the host of screenwriters will let any fan of X-Men down.