Xanadu - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Xanadu Reviews

½ May 25, 2015
Even gene kelly couldn't save this terrible 80s inspired movie. This movie was more gay and flamboyant than Richard Simmons sparkly outfits. Not sure if they could've thrown in a little more neon or sparkle into any more frames. Pretty much a nonsense movie that only prob little kids would like during the 80s. I don't think any straight man would like this movie. It is extremely outdated, cheesy, terribly acted, poorly written script (what there was of one), boring movie. The song numbers went on and on and so did most of the dancing numbers especially at the end omg how many more outfit changes and stupid song numbers can u throw in there? The plot was extremely terrible and silly with very flat uninspired characters. The only thing I appreciate in this movie is the main message and you can tell there was a lot of dancing talent even if everything else in this movie sucked. I couldn't understand all the roller skating. Olivia Newton John what were u thinking?
April 21, 2015
The movie xanadu is one of the most genius movie plots of all time. It basically is symbolisum for dreams are either meant to be broekn or not. It is told in a very unique way becuase a girl named kira symbolizes a mues for the two male characters. The songs are great for the plot and the movie. Too bad this movie is a very underrated classic. The movie just came out at the wrong time becuase of the type of optomistic sugar it is.
This movie is great for any generations in the history of musicals. It should be studied. It has the unique musical formula that musicals from the 1930s and 1940s have only put out in the wrong time period. This movie is what every musical should be. Fun campy and optomistic with great songs.
½ April 14, 2015
Worst movie ever. I wanted to cry.
March 7, 2015
It's awful, but hilarious.
February 12, 2015
I gave two stars because of ELO and Olivia...but the movie is so so bad.
January 18, 2015
So.......much..........feathered hair..............
½ December 16, 2014
The daughter of Zeus comes to Earth to help a prospective night club get off the ground. This musical fantasy fuses the big band music of the 1940's with the hottest pop sounds of 1980. Mostly a regrettable combination that does deliver some camp value. Gets progressively more ridiculous, by the end we have Gene Kelly (in his late 60's) on rollerskates leading a brigade of other skaters during a musical number. Somewhat surprised that The Tubes emerged unscathed from their appearance in this.
December 13, 2014
Ahhhhh the music the dancing and the acting.....sometimes it's a curse to be able to hear and see.
November 9, 2014
***Due to the recent RT changes that have basically ruined my past reviews, I mostly only giving a rating rather than a full review.***
November 9, 2014
The inexplicable fantasy elements, the glaring neon lights, the endless rollerblading - for all the wrong reasons (or perhaps the right ones), Xanadu is at the very least moderately amusing in its stupidity.
October 24, 2014
Deliciously bad and campy. An absolute delight!
October 18, 2014
I'm sure this was just as Disappointing to Universal Pictures, it was suppose to be Magical, it wasn't.I had missed my Gene Kelly & was excited to see him, he went back to retirement & hid.I did want to Roller Skate afterwards though
September 28, 2014
you people are crazy!!! Xanadu
is cinamatic genius!!! that is all...
August 24, 2014
Horrifying musical fantasy with a daughter of Zeus coming to Earth to deliver Xanadu to a struggling artist in the form of a nightclub. I doubt that was what Samuel Coleridge Taylor had in mind when he wrote the poem. Tap-dancing, roller-skating, mannequins & wall murals coming to life and a country hoedown musical entry... all mind-boggling. Soundtrack has its high moments in the form of ELO's participation. Memorable but for all the wrong reasons.
July 14, 2014
I actually loved this move when it came out and I love it even more now. Visual images resonate with me and some of these scenes stick in my head like the muses coming out of the wall mural and the Grand Finale ending at Xanadu. It doesn't hurt that Olivia Newton John never looked better than in this movie and she looks every bit the muse she plays. And the disco music is amazing. I like other musicals like An American in Paris, Crybaby, Little Shop of Horrors and Chicago, but Xanadu is a fantasy musical for the ages.
July 9, 2014
I absolutely love this movie! The music is great even though the movie is cheesy. Gotta love the 80's!
½ July 4, 2014
Not the worst movie ever made, but close. Lame plot, very unconvincing acting, crappy music. Poor Gene Kelly must have been really down on his luck, or needed the money, to agree to appear in this.
May 15, 2014
It's not as bad as I expected; the dialogue is wooden and the story is stale, but that's almost a mainstay of musicals but if all you want is decent music and dancing, you could do worse than Xanadu.
May 6, 2014
I fell in love with this movie when I was 14 years old and loved it since.
April 27, 2014
I don't care what anyone says. I love this movie.