X-Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men Reviews

March 7, 2017
The first in what has become an array of movies. Excellent casting and most of the characters (with the exception of Scott) were played well and the goods were delivered in the film. Sabertooth was a little disappointing but never mind.
March 5, 2017
I liked how Toad was pretty funny.
March 4, 2017
While it may be mildly dated in some aspects, X-Men is a strong start to one of the most influential and popular comic book movie franchises. The strong acting on all fronts and the fun fight scenes breath life into it, and it's heady themes bring weight to the proceedings.
March 4, 2017
This movie was fun when it came out, it left me with a lot of hope about the franchise that was sure to follow. It's mostly just a popcorn movie featuring the x-men, but it had not been done before.
March 3, 2017
Almost 2 decades old and its crazy how this franchise has stayed active. It is the first Comic Book franchise to show long term success. Still a good entry.
March 3, 2017
Bryan Singer offers not only a solidly structured humble film, but also an stylish and grounded story that represents the official blockbuster resurrection of the genre, showing how good superheroes can work with the proper production behind them.
½ March 1, 2017
t's the movie that started it all. X-Men is the movie that started a great franchise, well, mostly great. There was some great acting from Hugh Jackman, Sir Patrick Stewart, and of course, Sir Ian McKelllen. But there was also some pretty mediocre and sometimes just plain bad acting from Halle Berry, Anna Paquin, and Rebecca Romijn. The story was fantastic, the visuals were okay for its time but they could've been better, but the cinematography was downright terrible. Overall, X-Men was a fun time but could've been a lot better. Don't get me wrong, I love this movie, but it is far from perfect which is why I'm giving it a 7/10.
February 28, 2017
It might feel a bit dated these days but what makes X-Men so remarkable and entertaining is that it officially confirmed that superhero movies were going to be the next big thing and how Marvel may just have been destined for greatness following an era in which Marvel sucked and DC ruled. And indeed it was. The talented cast is committed with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen being perfect for the roles of Professor Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr, respectively. The film focuses more on a story with themes about prejudice being given the superhero treatment rather than being just another mindless action movie. During those moments that the movie is action-packed, director Bryan Singer does not disappoint. I mean, who wouldn't marvel (no pun intended) at Wolverine using his adamantium claws on the Statue of Liberty to prevent himself from having a nasty fall and you see how he spins or something like that,huh? Even by today's standards, I still find it a cool shot. All in all, I think we can agree that X-Men is a comic book movie that remains faithful to the source material and helped give birth to a new era of superhero movies such as the original Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy and Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. Well done, Bryan Singer, well done.
February 26, 2017
X-men 1 contains perfect casting and good direction. The special effects were revolutionary and it set the stage for superhero movies we se today. The only flaw is a few cheesy lines.
½ February 26, 2017
Rewatching this film for the first time in a very long time, it did feel that some of the action and the special effects looked dated. Although the action sequences are energetic and fun to watch, a lot of them, including the climactic battle, were somewhat cartoonish and anticlimactic. I also thought that Magneto's motivation for his action was weak and having seen all the X-Men films that came out after this installment, I noticed there were a lot of continuity errors (since "Days of Future Past" fixed the timeline, some of the events that takes place in this film doesn't fit in.) But perhaps my biggest problem with the film is that there is very little character development, and I feel that a lot of those character moments were left out on the cutting room floor (I'm only speculating.) We do learn their powers and mutations, but we don't really get to learn who they are and that may have to do with the fact it had too many characters, and had to set up things for the sequels. Having said all that, I think the story does hold up and deals with social issues that are still relevant today. I loved the casting choices and these actors completely inhabit their roles. It's solidly put together and thoroughly enjoyable. "X-Men" is an entertaining film with sharp narrative focus.
½ February 25, 2017
The first superhero movie I ever saw. Good movie.
½ February 21, 2017
most life like superhero movie
½ February 21, 2017
X-Men manages to keep a rather ridiculous premise grounded in reality, with characters that are as interesting as they are super-powered. More importantly it successfully launches the long standing franchise that has continued to give life to the many pop culture Icons from Marvel Comic's X-Men universe.
February 20, 2017
Awesome! Great effects for it's time! Really paved the path for newer Superhero films!
½ February 18, 2017
X-MEN (2000) Calificación: 7.3/10
½ February 15, 2017
It's hard to believe Hugh Jackman has been playing Wolverine for 17 years now. 'Logan' is just around the corner and it's time to take a deeper look at all of the times Jackman has graced the screen as the legendary comic-book character.

X-Men (2000) hasn't particularly aged as well visually as some other superhero films, but the story is just as relevant as it's always been. It's nice to go back and watch the beginning of it all again after two separate trilogies and a few spin-offs. And just like in every other X-Men film, it always comes down to Charles and Erik. Professor X and Magneto have probably the most fascinatingly complicated relationship in comics. Charles wants everyone to get along and make peace with the humans, while Erik has always believed humans will inevitably turn on mutant kind. What makes the dynamic so great is that neither are 100% right. The only major problem with Erik is that he usually involves killing. Even in 2017 we are having issues with accepting people who are different than us. That's what sadly makes these X-Men films so relevant and timeless.

With that said, there are certain aspects of the film that are more than dated. Storm's inconsistent accent is awkward at best, and Halle Berry doesn't really add anything of value (at least in this film). Sabretooth and Toad are nothing more than pawns for Magneto's use. Some could even say Mystique is one as well, but at least she has some cool action sequences. Mystique adds to the plot with the Senator, but I don't understand the reason for Toad or Sabretooth. Perhaps there just wasn't enough time to cover their motivations in a breezy 105 minute film. On the good side of things, Anna Paquin gives a strong turn as Rogue, Famke Janssen brings an appealing gracefulness to Jean Grey, and Jackman as Wolverine may have been the most brilliant casting in any comic-book property. The early films hold up because of the incredible characters, and not necessarily because they have the most memorable stories or visual flare.

It's always nice to see how far characters have come and see where it all started. For the widely popular X-Men franchise, this is where the countless continuity issues began, when the team first suited up, and where Jackman first donned the claws. It doesn't have the narrative scope or the dazzling visuals that the films do now, but it will always hold a special place in my heart.

+Where it all began

+Story is still relevant

+Charles vs Erik

+Dynamics between characters

-But really, what's the point of Sabretooth or Toad

-Berry's accent

7.8/10
February 11, 2017
2/10/2017: A pretty decent flick. A good story with an excellent cast.
½ February 9, 2017
Like many other excellent movie franchises, X-Men begins with a rough start, with corny acting, terrible effects, with the story only saving the movie to a small degree.
February 4, 2017
holds up really well, way better then I remember. a comic book classic