X-Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men Reviews

August 7, 2016
It's alright however this film is starting to look dated, not a huge fan of 'old Xmen'
August 5, 2016
X-men is well acted, and with its cast and story it started, if not revamp, the modern comic book movie genre.
July 30, 2016
The 2nd best X-Men movie for me.
It's simply a great adaptation to the comics, has a balance between story-telling and action, The casting for each character is surprisingly well-done, for example, could you tell me an actor who would fit as Wolverine better than Hugh Jackman? Or Professor X who is portrayed by an actor other than Patrick Stewart? I don't think it will work without them. Moreover, the plot is organized, and there was justice between every character and their abilities. All I can say is that movie is in my opinion underrated and it's the best one out of the trilogy, and its one of the best comic movies ever. Thank You Bryan Singer.
Overall score: 8.5/10 (Great).
As a fan of superhero movies, I'd probably rate this a 9/10
but from a filmmaking & casual movie go-er's perspective (Meaning realistic) I'll stick with a 8.5/10, Recommended.
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
Growing up I never paid attention to X-Men, Not the comics, The cartoons, Nothing, When the film came out I pushed it aside but 11 years later I watched it and loved it, It's a brilliant film, Loved the action and the special effects looked brilliant for 10+ years ago, Excellent film, It's the darker side of Marvel and it's done just right.
July 28, 2016
***
It doesn't hold up too well, but X-Men is still a fun and entertaining superhero movie, that was the beginning of the superhero obsessed world we live in today.
½ July 20, 2016
Up until the 21st Century, DC had dominated the comic book adaptations on the big screen. Film franchises like Superman and Batman were essentially the only acts in town. Of course, by the time the year 2000 rolled around, Superman hadn't been in theaters for more than a decade, and Batman had become almost as campy and goofy as its 1960's counterpart. This was now Marvel's time to shine. Partly due to a large cast of recognizable characters, X-Men was the right choice to reboot the comic book adaptation film franchise.

Even though X-Men set the standard pretty high for comic book adaptations, very few have followed in its stead. Where most first films in a hero franchise focus on the origins of the main character, the X-Men spans such an enormous timeframe, with characters coming in and out of relevance, that it would be difficult to give all of their origins at once. Instead, the focus is on Rogue (Anna Paquin) and Logan (Hugh Jackman), essentially giving some of their "origins" without having to explain the motivations of every other X-Men character.

What really makes this film work, aside from its relevant plot, is the casting. Not only were these top-tier stars appearing in the film, but they were expertly given roles that fit them incredibly well. In fact, I can almost not imagine anyone else playing Wolverine but Hugh Jackman. The same goes for Halle Berry as Storm, Ian McKellen as Magneto, and Patrick Stewart as Professor Xavier. I wouldn't have gone with anyone else for those roles, which definitely made casting the prequel trilogy quite the challenge.

Probably one of the best comic-to-movie transitions ever made, I give X-Men 4.5 stars out of 5.
½ July 18, 2016
Before it all went wrong, this knockout first entry into the X-Men saga set the bar for all superhero movies to follow... and replicate over and over and over.
½ July 10, 2016
In a world where there are genetic mutants and the human race is prejudiced against them. Charles Xavier and the X-Men must stop Magneto from harming the human race. X-Men does a good job balancing a large cast of characters, and with great performances by Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, and Hugh Jackman as well as good action X-Men is a good film.
July 10, 2016
With the right amount of suspense, newly established potential and delightful moments of entertainment, X-Men is witty, self-sustainable and up for everything it dares to overcome.
June 30, 2016
An interesting introduction to the X-Men universe, this 2000 action flick is brisk, with good action and intelligent social commentary. The downside is the cringeworthy CGI, some corny scenes and an overall lack of big, climactic moments, with few exceptions. A solid film with room for improvement still.
June 24, 2016
Trazendo diversos elementos das HQs, X-Men Agrada a todos,aos fãs ou não fãs dos Mutantes mais famosos da cultura pop,com um roteiro e direção brilhantes e atuações fieis aos personagens das paginas da HQs.
June 18, 2016
A awesome start to a awesome trilogy
June 17, 2016
Welcome to comic book movies! I think this one really started everything and being an X-Men fan, it did not disappoint. The open scene is my favorite opening scene of all time. It gave me chills when Erik reaches for his parents and turns that gate into a big 'ol X! The great thing about the X-Men films is that they are really drama's within the comic book genre. Some people may find them lacking action, thriller, explosions and the what-nots of a comic book come to life, but X-Men is really a world of humans, mutants, evolution and questions the tougher bits of human experience. I'll always be an X-Men fan, even if they did flub the third installment.
½ June 15, 2016
This is a great superhero movie. I think it was also one of the most important ones because it happened 16 years ago. Think about the quality of superhero movies we have now. This movie really helped steer the trend of this genre in a great direction. The characters were pretty much all portrayed pretty well except for maybe Sabertooth. He seemed like a dumb henchman and didn't really have personality. But everyone else was well done. It's worth noting that Wolverine pretty well steals the show. Hugh Jackman is probably the best superhero actor casting out there besides Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool. i also prefer the Mystique in this film to the one played by Jennifer Lawrence. Cyclops could have been more of a leader and less of a prick. The plot flows very well and they do a great job of introducing the mutant universe. The intro scene with Magneto as a child is possibly the best scene out of any of the X-Men movies. It really portrays very well a simile to the struggles of the mutant race and gives meaning to the passions of Magneto. Bryan Singer hit a home run with this movie.
June 11, 2016
This first X-Men film set the groundwork for all of the great comic-book movies that have come out in the last couple of decades. Unfortunately though, watching it now reveals just how dated it's become. X-Men has a serious tone that the schlocky visual effects fail to bolster. Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are the highlights, owning their roles as Professor Xavier and Magneto. Hugh Jackman's first role as Wolverine shows potential that would be better utilized in future movies. Supporting characters are hit-and-miss, with Halle Berry as Storm being the glaring mistake in casting. Her sad attempt at an African accent is infamous. Overall, X-Men is an entertaining introduction to the franchise, but its flaws have become much more apparent in hindsight.
June 11, 2016
If it wasn't for this movie, we wouldn't have the barrage of comic book movies that we have today. That's either very good or very bad depending on your point of view, but I tend to lean towards good. Thanks to Bryan Singer for taking a comic series seriously, but not trying to make it edgy.
½ June 7, 2016
X-men the beginning of awesome Marvel films . Very good entry with a very good story, well characters , good acting, and action scenes were put in the right places.
June 6, 2016
A very good remaking of the comics, which makes you really feel for the characters. We understand everyone we are supposed to, and magneto is the best character in the entirety of marvel film history. However, I did think that the story was very clichéd, with a villain that wants to make everyone different, and a prejudicial senator, it didn't present anything new. To improve, make the visuals more interesting, and even more comic book like.
½ June 5, 2016
Not too much action, conflicts with saber tooth storyline. Wears jacket from origins. Good pace
½ June 3, 2016
X-Men the first in the Franchise that is X-Men. With lack of action and bad acting from secondary characters, X-Men becomes a weak start to the X-Men Franchise. Although this is in no means a bad movie. Hugh Jackman does a great job in playing the character Logan/Wolverine aswell as Patrick Stewart with professor X. The problem I have with this movie is its expecting for the audience to know the names of the characters and what's happening off screen in the story. X-Men is an okay start to a great franchise in years to come. I give X-Men a 6.5/10.