X-Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men Reviews

½ June 15, 2017
This film is suprisingly a great beginnings super hero film. I just recently checked this one out and it is a great X-Men film. It was the first film in the franchise and tells the story of how Wolverine met and joined the X-Men. The cast are great as their characters. Hugh Jackman is irreplaceable as Wolverine. No one else should play him, Hugh Jackman is Wolverine. Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen are perfect as Professor X and Magneto, the pair of mutants who were friends who became enemies. The rest of the cast fit their roles so well. The film can be slow at times, but its a first film. First films are usually a little slow, they have to establish the characters. Overall, this is a very fun beginning super hero film with a great cast

Rating: 7.1/10
½ June 10, 2017
The movie that got comicbook films into modern cinema.
½ June 8, 2017
Although I wasn't too happy about the performances (Which were very unrealistic), it was still a very entertaining classic superhero movie. I especially found this movie exciting because anything can happen or be done. Which makes this a very well-made film (For its time).
June 6, 2017
Geeking out is a understatement
I loved the visuals and how the plot of the story worked
June 6, 2017
After the failures of comic book movies in the 90s such as Batman & Robin and Spawn, several moviegoers didn't know what to expect from X-Men. Thankfully, all expectations were exceeded for the most part.

Catching up with the Children of the Atom's first foray into the big screen after a long time, I can safely say it still holds up well.

The plot moves along at a brisk pace, and yet, it's very light on action. However, whatever action is in it is still very well done, though a bit short, and surpassed by what would follow in the sequel.

The movie still delivers on the core elements of what made the comics so unique. The engaging characters and their struggle as mutants wanting to be accepted by humanity.

As far as the casting goes, it's spot on. Hugh Jackman is Logan/Wolverine in the same way Christopher Reeve is Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El. He nails the character's look and personality down to a tee to the point where you truly feel he stepped out of the comic pages into real life. The rest of the cast is good too, especially Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen as Professor Xavier and Magneto (respectively).

The special FX, production design and photography work well, even if there are some moments of dated CGI here and there.

17 years later, the movie still is extraordinary. Yeah, it's not 100% accurate to the source, but let's be real, what movie based on a comic, game or show is? Both this movie and the original Spider-Man film made the comic book superhero genre credible again, and it's still going strong to this day.
June 2, 2017
It might feel a bit dated these days but what makes X-Men so remarkable and entertaining is that it officially confirmed that superhero movies were going to be the next big thing and how Marvel may just have been destined for greatness following an era in which Marvel sucked and DC ruled. And indeed it was. The talented cast is committed with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen being perfect for the roles of Professor Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr, respectively. The film focuses more on a story with themes about prejudice being given the superhero treatment rather than being just another mindless action movie. During those moments that the movie is action-packed, director Bryan Singer does not disappoint. I mean, who wouldn't marvel (no pun intended) at Wolverine using his adamantium claws on the Statue of Liberty to prevent himself from having a nasty fall and you see how he spins or something like that,huh? Even by today's standards, I still find it a cool shot. All in all, I think we can agree that X-Men is a comic book movie that remains faithful to the source material and helped give birth to a new era of superhero movies such as the original Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy and Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. Well done, Bryan Singer, well done.
½ June 1, 2017
It has a bit of a goofy premise and doesn't hold up today.
½ May 28, 2017
X-Men may not hold up visually, but that's not what makes this film so special. The script and excellent characters separate X-Men from the normal comic movies we see and appreciate, thanks to great writing and acting.
May 7, 2017
Go back to when Wolverine was skinny and had no abs. It was a simpler time then and a bit cheesy. Seriously watch it again and you will laugh when you see Hugh Jackman.
½ April 30, 2017
Good, but not great. If it were 10-15 years ago, it would be, but since then, we've been getting more and more comic book movies that became better than this. In short, it hasn't aged well, but it's still good.
April 28, 2017
While it hasn't aged the best, this movie started the jump of superhero films we've seen in Hollywood and introduced us to great performances from Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellan, and Patrick Stewart.
April 22, 2017
Strong performances and great movie.
April 20, 2017
Now we are superused to super heros movies, and the x-men had 7-8 movies, but this first installment of the franchise back in 2000 was a real breakthrough, and maybe an unexpected success, but surely for a reason, becoming a real and serious benchmark for all the movies to come, marvel and not.
April 15, 2017
X-Men exceeds all expectations and delivers an incredible superhero film that serves as the launching point for an entire franchise.
½ April 11, 2017
The first entry in the X-Men series starts off well, with great action and intriguing political issues, and wonderful portrayals of these comic book characters from the cast.
April 9, 2017
X men is very enjoyable. The performances are all around great. The only bad thing was that the villains were cheesy and the pacing is all over the place.
½ April 4, 2017
The film that sparked the way superhero films are still made today, the first installment into the X-Men series is a fun introduction.
March 20, 2017
Not as 'big' or spectacular as it should have been (due to budget?) Still it does well in developing some of the characters.
March 19, 2017
Not only it is filled with all the awesome action you come to expect, it is at it's core a very well told story of discrimination and fear. Also, Hugh Jackman owns as Wolverine!

Grade: A+
½ March 19, 2017
This only feels dated from a technical standpoint nearly twenty years in. While some of the make-up and effects feel subpar in an HD world, fearful humans versus persecuted mutants is as socially relevant a backdrop as it's ever been. And the casting feels revolutionary considering how much they got right from the first installment.