X-Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men Reviews

June 18, 2016
A awesome start to a awesome trilogy
June 17, 2016
Welcome to comic book movies! I think this one really started everything and being an X-Men fan, it did not disappoint. The open scene is my favorite opening scene of all time. It gave me chills when Erik reaches for his parents and turns that gate into a big 'ol X! The great thing about the X-Men films is that they are really drama's within the comic book genre. Some people may find them lacking action, thriller, explosions and the what-nots of a comic book come to life, but X-Men is really a world of humans, mutants, evolution and questions the tougher bits of human experience. I'll always be an X-Men fan, even if they did flub the third installment.
½ June 15, 2016
This is a great superhero movie. I think it was also one of the most important ones because it happened 16 years ago. Think about the quality of superhero movies we have now. This movie really helped steer the trend of this genre in a great direction. The characters were pretty much all portrayed pretty well except for maybe Sabertooth. He seemed like a dumb henchman and didn't really have personality. But everyone else was well done. It's worth noting that Wolverine pretty well steals the show. Hugh Jackman is probably the best superhero actor casting out there besides Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool. i also prefer the Mystique in this film to the one played by Jennifer Lawrence. Cyclops could have been more of a leader and less of a prick. The plot flows very well and they do a great job of introducing the mutant universe. The intro scene with Magneto as a child is possibly the best scene out of any of the X-Men movies. It really portrays very well a simile to the struggles of the mutant race and gives meaning to the passions of Magneto. Bryan Singer hit a home run with this movie.
June 11, 2016
This first X-Men film set the groundwork for all of the great comic-book movies that have come out in the last couple of decades. Unfortunately though, watching it now reveals just how dated it's become. X-Men has a serious tone that the schlocky visual effects fail to bolster. Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are the highlights, owning their roles as Professor Xavier and Magneto. Hugh Jackman's first role as Wolverine shows potential that would be better utilized in future movies. Supporting characters are hit-and-miss, with Halle Berry as Storm being the glaring mistake in casting. Her sad attempt at an African accent is infamous. Overall, X-Men is an entertaining introduction to the franchise, but its flaws have become much more apparent in hindsight.
June 11, 2016
If it wasn't for this movie, we wouldn't have the barrage of comic book movies that we have today. That's either very good or very bad depending on your point of view, but I tend to lean towards good. Thanks to Bryan Singer for taking a comic series seriously, but not trying to make it edgy.
½ June 7, 2016
X-men the beginning of awesome Marvel films . Very good entry with a very good story, well characters , good acting, and action scenes were put in the right places.
June 6, 2016
A very good remaking of the comics, which makes you really feel for the characters. We understand everyone we are supposed to, and magneto is the best character in the entirety of marvel film history. However, I did think that the story was very clichéd, with a villain that wants to make everyone different, and a prejudicial senator, it didn't present anything new. To improve, make the visuals more interesting, and even more comic book like.
½ June 5, 2016
Not too much action, conflicts with saber tooth storyline. Wears jacket from origins. Good pace
½ June 3, 2016
X-Men the first in the Franchise that is X-Men. With lack of action and bad acting from secondary characters, X-Men becomes a weak start to the X-Men Franchise. Although this is in no means a bad movie. Hugh Jackman does a great job in playing the character Logan/Wolverine aswell as Patrick Stewart with professor X. The problem I have with this movie is its expecting for the audience to know the names of the characters and what's happening off screen in the story. X-Men is an okay start to a great franchise in years to come. I give X-Men a 6.5/10.
June 2, 2016
Faithful to the source material, with a great cast and a thoughtful script.
June 2, 2016
Growing up as a Jew and Mutant in Nazi Occupied Germany meant that Magneto was always going to be an angry fuck. The special effects haven't aged well but it is still quality. Great casting of McKellen and Stewart but especially Jackman as Wolverine. A serious twitch off Jean Grey and Storm.
June 1, 2016
This was the superhero film that brought superhero films back to life. Sure we had the Superman's and the Batman's of the 80's and 90's, but X-Men really kicked off the 2000's era of superhero film before Disney's Marvel Entertainment would start off its own era with Iron Man in 2008. So I gotta give props to the cast for doing a really good job on the acting front and I gotta give props to the writer's for doing a pretty solid job on explaining everything about the characters without being boring. The one major flaw is that it has not aged well at all. The action scenes at the statue of liberty are very cheesy and feel like something you would see at a Universal Studios Stunt Show than an X-Men film. I can't entirely blame this film for it because it was the first of it's kind and it paved the way for Spider-Man and other fun superhero films. Overall, looking at the big picture of the X-Men franchise, this is a fun one.
May 30, 2016
This film is as unenjoyable to rewatch as it was to watch when it came out. Terrible characterizations of almost every character from the comics, and inexplicable age differentiation which disincludes foundational members of the team. The actors do give good performances. The plot is not compelling. Hugely disappointing to a fan of the comics.
½ May 26, 2016
Emotion dialogue and storytelling are great and will always hold up. On the other hand the movie realize on CGI that doesn't hold up. The biggest problem with the movie is that it's overly cheesy. The scene were Wolverine is on Scott's bike, the magneto scene were he's changing senator Kelly to a Mutant. I must add every scene that sabertooth is in. He reminds me of beast man in the masters of the universe movie which isn't good one bit.
½ May 22, 2016
This is a good little superhero film. Watching it again after not seeing it since it's release, back in 2000, was interesting. After all the big spectacle superhero films of nowadays, this one seems almost quaint. The story is straight-forward and without all the bells and whistles, but that's what I like about it. To think this franchise has been going strong for 16 years now. This film along with the Toby Spider-man films set the stage for the all encompassing superhero films of now.
½ May 22, 2016
The beginning of the modern age of comic book heroes in film. I love that re-watches always reminds me of just how exciting it was to see this familiar world come to life! The effects may look somewhat dated now, but I remain thrilled with so many of the choices made here - primarily the casting (except for the major flaw of Storm, sadly) and the deeply tragic Magneto backstory in the intro. The themes of fear & racism are potent. Also, so many hilarious lines! Wolverine: "It's me" Cyclops: "Prove it!" W: "You're a dick" C: "OK"
May 22, 2016
With impressive action sequences and interesting characters, X-Men is a very fun comic book movie that helped set the tone for those to come.
May 22, 2016
As comic books evolve, as well as evolution in film technology, the two finally come together, and we get our first look at one of the most famous comics in a film. X-men has heart-pounding excitement and unforgettable suspense and characters.
May 20, 2016
Although visually outdated, acting and humain elements remain and the magic of the movie still stays alive.
May 19, 2016
Revisiting after years: This film falls short in many ways. The sound design and score are some of the worst I have ever encountered. No scene feels right due to this. The cinematography is often stale and wooden. Though Singer is able to capture the fantastic performances each actors give, he seems to have a hard time setting up layered visuals. That being said, each character, no matter how small, comes across as fully dimensional--the one thing this film does tremendously better than First Class. The script itself if truly great, but might have benefited it gave the story some more breathing room. (Future Alex: Score is amazing compared to other films in series. Sound design is more over the top, but great)

One thing I really enjoyed about the film was how it managed to create realism. By acknowledging the absurdity of the universe and story elements (code names, outfits, etc..), it gave the viewer a reason not to care about those things and focus in on the important elements. Singer knows what matters most--he ends on a chess scene between the two central ideologies. The chess scene is left unfinished...small choices like these are what make this film so special. It is about so much more than mutants--and it knows it.

Overall, the comic films of today could learn a lesson or two from this film--Iron Man 3 is a step in the right direction. You do not have to be a superhero movie to be a good comic book adaptation. As long as you have strong characters and a great script, the action and 'super' elements no longer matter. It was a pleasant surprise to see that this was not a superhero film, but a sci-fi film delving into philosophical questions. In many ways, the original Xmen films (1 and 2) are to First Class what the original Star Trek films are to the rebooted universe.