X-Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men Reviews

March 19, 2017
Not only it is filled with all the awesome action you come to expect, it is at it's core a very well told story of discrimination and fear. Also, Hugh Jackman owns as Wolverine!

Grade: A+
½ March 19, 2017
This only feels dated from a technical standpoint nearly twenty years in. While some of the make-up and effects feel subpar in an HD world, fearful humans versus persecuted mutants is as socially relevant a backdrop as it's ever been. And the casting feels revolutionary considering how much they got right from the first installment.
½ March 19, 2017
X-Men can stand out as a good superhero movie on it's own, and an acceptable movie overall, with enough action, and supported with a great cast.
March 18, 2017
Not the best start but not the worse
½ March 18, 2017
The film that started it all! My Score: 74%
March 17, 2017
This is one of the cooler X-Men movies. This one is a bit less of an action flick and more of just a cool movie. Very neat.
March 14, 2017
Sometimes it seems sloppy and cheaply made, but X-Men is still a lot of fun to watch and successfully opens the door into the world of mutants.
March 13, 2017
A classic that will go down in history as one of the greats.
½ March 12, 2017
Bryan Singer gave us something we've never seen in a superhero film before. For its time(2000), this movie really breaks the barrier of the bland and cheesy superhero film. It's unique, and overall a good film.
March 10, 2017
Although it is a little dated, and has some bad lines, I still enjoyed this movie. This movie was the first superhero film not to be mindless action, and actually have a message, that was very surprising for its time, and holds up to this day well too. Hugh Jackman's performance as The Wolverine was hugely entertaining and the movie would feel incomplete without him.
March 10, 2017
This movie aged a little, but it's still good.
March 9, 2017
The fact that X-Men clocks in at 104 minutes is great. It is very common for high grossing movies to be over two hours these days, with Business Insider publishing the average length of the top ten grossing films at 130 minutes in 2013. Yet, here we have X-Men able to juggle several top-flight actors, many more unique characters, and a handfull of origin stories all in just over an hour-and-a-half. I miss the days of blockbusters that hover around the ninety minute mark.

The story of X-Men centers around the premise of "What would happen in the United States if widespread mutations that resulted in superpowers were to occur." It focuses on the experience of the mutants and how they would react to persecution. Hint: some become good guys and some become bad guys so they can fight with their super powers.
Though some of the dated/sub-par special effects will leave the viewer having to suspend their disbelief with a little extra effort, X-Men is still a good movie. The actors and story make up for some of the downfalls, like some of the effects, and uninspired uniform design. They aren't my favorite super heroes, but I still watch this movie from time to time.
March 7, 2017
The first in what has become an array of movies. Excellent casting and most of the characters (with the exception of Scott) were played well and the goods were delivered in the film. Sabertooth was a little disappointing but never mind.
March 5, 2017
I liked how Toad was pretty funny.
March 4, 2017
While it may be mildly dated in some aspects, X-Men is a strong start to one of the most influential and popular comic book movie franchises. The strong acting on all fronts and the fun fight scenes breath life into it, and it's heady themes bring weight to the proceedings.
March 4, 2017
This movie was fun when it came out, it left me with a lot of hope about the franchise that was sure to follow. It's mostly just a popcorn movie featuring the x-men, but it had not been done before.
March 3, 2017
Almost 2 decades old and its crazy how this franchise has stayed active. It is the first Comic Book franchise to show long term success. Still a good entry.
March 3, 2017
Bryan Singer offers not only a solidly structured humble film, but also an stylish and grounded story that represents the official blockbuster resurrection of the genre, showing how good superheroes can work with the proper production behind them.
½ March 1, 2017
t's the movie that started it all. X-Men is the movie that started a great franchise, well, mostly great. There was some great acting from Hugh Jackman, Sir Patrick Stewart, and of course, Sir Ian McKelllen. But there was also some pretty mediocre and sometimes just plain bad acting from Halle Berry, Anna Paquin, and Rebecca Romijn. The story was fantastic, the visuals were okay for its time but they could've been better, but the cinematography was downright terrible. Overall, X-Men was a fun time but could've been a lot better. Don't get me wrong, I love this movie, but it is far from perfect which is why I'm giving it a 7/10.