Xtro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Xtro Reviews

½ November 19, 2012
A film that does have its flaws but a weirdness to it that keeps you interested.
½ November 3, 2012
Mish-mash of science fiction and psychic thrillers can't decide which one it wants to be.
November 3, 2012
brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
October 27, 2012
Often grotesque British film about a father returning for his son as an alien 3 years after disappearing into a white light. Good FX but several scenes featuring a midget clown in a yellow outfit didn't help matters.
August 3, 2012
Xtro (1983) -- [4.0] -- As far as I could tell, "Xtro" is about a father who is abducted by aliens, then returned to his family as a strange alien-human hybrid. But I'm not sure. First, there's a weird crabby-looking monster in the woods, then it rapes a woman, then the woman gives birth to a fully-grown man (the single reason to see this movie), the man begins to spore and kill people, but then it appears that he just loves his son and wants to take him back into space with him? "Xtro" is a hot mess. But at least there are a lot of imaginative ideas swirling around in it. The director didn't do the film any favors by scoring it himself.
June 21, 2012
Certainly not of this world. Extra half star for Action Man.
May 31, 2012
XTRO gets points for being imaginative as a horror film, but it's ideas are so inconsistent and I just sit there thinking "what the fuck is that?" or "why did that happen?" It has its moments but it's a very trashy horror film with a lot of weird twisted shit.
May 12, 2012
The final scene of the movie feels like it was from a far better movie and where this film should have either started or got to in the first 30mins. The early effects are bad and off-putting and yet they improve massively through the film and by the end are really simple and effective. All credit to the makers for their successes its a shame that the early flaws are what many will see and dismiss the film for.
May 7, 2012
Like many films from my childhood, I rented or bought based on titles and box artwork alone and what could be cooler than a film that began with a letter "X" and featured a deadly, ugly-ass alien on the cover artwork? Far be it from me I was in store for one of the most schizophrenic, convoluted and all around fucked up films I had ever seen that would seriously screw up my whole outlook on life!
We open with a loving family vacationing in their village home when the father gets abducted by aliens. Years later, out of the blue, the father shows up again to rejoin his family. Two problems: 1) his wife has moved on with a new lover and 2) he is now a bloodsucking ugly fuck of an alien! Now daddy wants to change his son into a skeletal alien and take him to his new home, but not before he kills many people in gruesome ways along the way.

I can't explain how thoroughly fucked up this film is. First of all director Harry Bromley Davenport goes out of his way to make this one of the most gory, grotesque and nauseating films I have ever seen when it comes to bloody special effects effects. Blood is the name of the game and when you think Davenport can't out due himself, he shows a women, recently impregnated by an alien, give birth to our abducted father as a full grown man in mess of blood and guts flowing from between her legs. It's a jaw-dropping and gut-wrenching sequence that the film has become widely known for.

The plot is an absolute mess with crazy ass shit happening all over the place. Our abducted father melts phones, eats pet snakes but the film hits the 'bat shit' crazy button when our young boy brings his toy soldier to life to kill his bitch of a neighbor. Where the fuck did this scene come from? Hell a demonic midget and a black panther even make an appearance to make the audience think they've gone into complete hysteria!

The cast of British actors is surprisingly good for this type of gore flick (including the sexy future Bond girl Maryam d'Abo doing a full frontal nudity scene) and the film does have a really bleak, bizarre atmosphere that I dug, but I do suspect the atmosphere was all by complete accident. Overall "Xtro" is just a schizophrenic mess with everything but the kitchen sink thrown into the plot to shock and awe the audience. This schizo feel and bizarre atmosphere is actually what makes "Xtro" worth watching, if one can get past the awful screaming synthesizer soundtrack provided by none-other than the director himself. For fans of the fucked-up and bizarre, "Xtro" is definitely a must watch. Followed by two completely unrelated sequels.
Francisco G.
April 14, 2012
An actual interesting pice of trash cinema, creating a surprisingly effective horror-drama with the confusing abducted character giving a well thought and well acted role. Add some shocking sittings, horrid alien "rape" scenes and complete and unexplainable nonsense lucid dream sequences and it's already trash legend.

Props for the completly uneffective cheesy soundtrack that is actually pretty good but completly misses the point!
½ April 14, 2012
This movie was more weird then scary or horror. It was fun though, if you're looking for an old movie to watch with friends and joke about. I'm curious to see the other ones.lol
½ January 15, 2012
pretty absurd but fun to watch, didn't understand how the midget connected to the story, did he come from a midget planet?
WrenchLT
December 13, 2011
A bit of low-budget Alien fun from Britain. Not a great film of course but it has enough memorable moments to it, from a bit of Alien rape, cheesy gore effects, a boy able to give life to his toys and Marym d'Abo in the nude! Not as good as Inseminoid, but worth a look if you enjoy cheesy Alien films.
October 31, 2011
If you like bizarre screenplays, gross practical special effects, and bare breasts, Xtro is the movie for you!
October 14, 2011
Classic Alien Terror that loses us viewers in certain spots.

The Boy's father is kidnapped by THE ALIEN and returns as THE ALIEN (he inhales carbon monoxide and eats snake-eggs).

I have the soundtrack by Harvey Davenport and its a great electronic score (on a relative level)

From the Producer of Nightmare on Elm Street, Detroit Rock City, LORD OF THE RINGS (Robert Shaye)
shitfaced8
September 21, 2011
Now this is a Horror movie. Pretty much has everything I look for in horror, and all at the same time. Gore, suspense, mystery, surrealism, humour, disturbingness etc. Not a dull moment to be found here. The whole thing comes off as the nightmare of the child. Not many other movies fit as much into 80 minutes as this one does. While not relying on gore fore scares, there is enough of it here to satisfy the gorehounds, but really this film works more fore it's imagery than anything else. The whole thing really is bizarre, and unlike anything else, even if it reminds you of a fuckload of your favourite movies at the same time. Good stuff for sure. A must see.
August 25, 2011
Very hit-and-miss in terms of acting, writing, cinematography, and special effects; occasionally quite clever, mostly bland. But the adult-birthing scene was magnificent, making the Chestburster from "Alien" look tame by comparison.
June 19, 2011
A cruel and absurd cinematic gem. Only a British film could be so off-beat and terrifying at the same time. It had the uncomfortable atmosphere of Don't Look Now and The Wicker Man. I was honestly expecting an Alien knock-off, but what I got was creative, if ludicrous filmmaking. Set in Britain, we see a man abducted by aliens. 3 years pass and everyone assumes he just left, though his son is plagued by nightmares. An alien arrives and starts killing and impregnating people. The alien pregnancy scene is horrific. It's so detailed and gruesome, it really does make the chestburster scene in Alien look quaint. Not much makes sense after that, but I enjoyed it all. It was some weird fucked up fantasy with a midget clown, toys coming to life, and dads sucking on their son's shoulders (don't ask). The effects are truly repulsive and fantastic. I pray for a return to films like this. CGI would have been so bland. It will take a morbid person to truly appreciate the humor and bizarre tone, but it's unlike so many films, where scenes of pure fantasy are played straight-faced and for real.