Jingi naki tatakai (Battles Without Honor and Humanity)(The Yakuza Papers)(War Without a Code) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jingi naki tatakai (Battles Without Honor and Humanity)(The Yakuza Papers)(War Without a Code) Reviews

June 18, 2010
Legendary YAKUZA movie. Chaos in Japan after WW2 and YAKUZA was fighting to get more initiative and power. Bunta Sugawara and director Kinji Fukasaku were legend!
May 25, 2010
Watched - April 2006.
½ May 25, 2010
Billed as a landmark cinematic look at realistic crime figures, the film jumped around so quickly that it was difficult to keep straight which face belonged to which family, and certainly they began to take on a cardboard cut-out quality that left no feeling for whether they had lived or died.

Emoting tears and groveling bosses lend an air on inauthenticity which ran contrary to the billing, as it would be hard to credit anybody in any culture willing to die for a family whose leader was seen regularly to cry at first sign of troubles.

Still, there is enough for me to try the next volume of the five part film, to see if things improved as it progressed. This one fell short for me though.
½ May 25, 2010
[b]Les Yeux Sans Visage[/b]: the premise for this film is specially grotesque. It stars a freaky surgeon whose daughter Christiane is faceless; he keeps kidnapping young women in order to steal their faces and to transfer them to her daughter. The movie's got a pretty classic feeling, and it is actually thrilling, and surprisingle bloody at times. I'm not very fond of horror films, but this one doesn't feel like one at times; and it is specially original, not to mention very well directed by Franju; Maurice Jarre's slightly playful score is rather memorable, as well. A must.
[b]Black Cat, White Cat[/b]: this is my first experience with mr. Kusturica and I must said I'm delighted. First of all, I didn't expect this film to be so darned crazy. It's a bit messy at times, exaggerated at others, but overall quite pleasing (including a "happy end"). This movie is breathtakingly energetic and inventive. I won't deny its flaws, but it's a great deal of fun and sure keeps you smiling all the way through; the acting is addecuate as well (at times mad as the film itself). A very amusing portrait of the life at the balkans; I'll sure be checking more stuff by Kusturica.
[b]Perfect Blue: [/b]this is one brilliant movie which starts quite lightly yet gets very paranoidal and exciting near the end. I really didn't like the animation at first, but one can't deny it's well directed. The film presents an engrossing and unconventional plot concerning the fears of a pop star when she realizes she's being creepily stalked by someone. I thought this film was engaging but just not my kind of stuff; I admit some of the sequences are very accomplished, though (yet the conclusion was just too much). Kudos for the atmospheric soundtrack and the spot on voice acting.
[b]The Yakuza Papers[/b]: this, as you will have observed, is named [i]Battles Without Honor and Humanity[/i] in some areas. After watching the movie, I think I'm a good position to confirm the fact that Fukasaku is the best yakuza film director ever. That doesn't mean his are the best overall films, yet he manages to portray the yakuza in an authentic and breathtaking way; he's also the king of brawls and shootouts. This film is very confusing, considering its extense cast of characters, and a bit dizzy and uneven (that damn camera is just too fast at times). But it's exciting and expertedly crafted, a must for yakuza fans. Oh, and Bunta Sugawara rocks.
½ May 12, 2010
a good "gangster" film about a group of young men who get caught up in the japanese underworld shortly after the end of world war 2.

if you're familiar with the history of postwar japan it will help you understand the context of this story but even then it's a film that will disorientate you in 2 ways: 1) the camerawork is very shaky and the camera always seems to be moving; 2) the rate at which characters are introduced and their stories sidetracked and brought back will leave you wondering where the story is headed.

the aim of the film is not really to glorify the underworld; it's target is wider i'd say. clearly it's a commentary on japanese society as a whole after world war 2 - at least that's my conclusion after having read "embracing defeat: japan in the wake of world war 2" by john w. dower.
March 15, 2010
The storyline kept me going through this glorious story of gangster politics and cheesy violence, though I can't shake the feeling that a lot was lost in translation, verbally and culturally.
January 30, 2010
So it's pretty obvious that Kinji was a genius.
November 24, 2009
I can't say enough good things about this entire series. The first in the series is surprisingly intricate and complex and it's almost difficult keeping track of who is double crossing who due to the sheer number that makes up the cast. Fukasaku's direction is unflinching and manages demystify the commonplace at the time of glorifying violence and instead showing it for what it really is: ugly, messy, and exhausting. Also, the soundtrack is ffffffffffffucking sweet.
½ November 10, 2009
a great collection of stories unfold from the very depths of Japanese Yakuza history. It has all the violence and grits a great 70's crime movie has. This is a no holds barred 5 part series that will have you reconsider the godfather! yes...i said it dammit!
September 7, 2009
Though it is a little confusing as to its main characters, it doesn't force the viewer to go off meander away and instead builts up great atmosphere and emotion by its characters action, which is much more important. This film shares a lot in common with the director's most recent effort before he died and I don't mean the part two.
June 9, 2009
Not only one of the finest Yakuza/Gangster films of all time, but one of the best/most complex Japanese films I've ever laid eyes on. Sugawara IS Yakuza.
March 22, 2009
Gritty and violent yakuza movie. Just the way I like it.
February 12, 2009
I love this genre and this is pure joy to watch. :)
January 15, 2009
If the rest of the episodes/films hold up to the humor and style of this badass opener, I'll be proud to showcase the boxset!
January 2, 2009
This is based on true events that happened in Japan after the bombing of Hiroshima.
September 1, 2008
Once upon a time in Japan...
½ August 25, 2008
Pretty awesome. Sugawara is one of the great movie tough guys, and I like movies that end with a great freezeframe.
½ August 19, 2008
it's hard to accurately review or describe this film. this was fukasuku's attempt to de-mythologize the yakuza, showing them in all their brutal dishonorable actions. bosses that prey on the loyalty of their underlings, underlings that cannot abide their bosses. and all the casualties that get caught in the crossfire. it's gritty and violent and jumpy. fukasaku's style perfectly captures the mood of the film. be forewarned, there's not a lot of closure, as this is a 5 (later 6) part series.
½ July 29, 2008
its ridiculously complicated, at least on pure number of characters and ranks... still, its beautiful and addictive... like french connection with a time machine.