The Yards - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Yards Reviews

June 16, 2016
So many great actors giving great performances.
June 1, 2016
It's amazing that with a cast this talented you get a movie this fucking boring. James Caan is excellent as usual and Charlize was still getting naked back then, but this movie pretty much blows. Watch We Own the Night instead. Same two lead actors, same director, and much better.
½ March 28, 2016
A well-acted crime drama, that lacks on momentum and engagement (READ: slow and boring) . Marky Mark and Charlize Theron look so young in this film. It's not worth sitting though unless you're a big fan of them or Joaquin Phoenix. Rating: 5 / 10
March 19, 2016
the continuing saga of watching Phoenix cry over shit w a uber gothed out Theron and a starting "say hi to your mother" Wahlberg.
February 24, 2016
The only boring thing in this movie is the expression of Mark Wahlberg, that is absent for the total lasting of the movie. Apart from this, I enjoyed the view.
August 23, 2015
I gotta do what I can do to protect what I built.

Leo Handler is fresh out of prison after years of work in the family business. His uncle is a crime lord in Queens New York that uses the rail road to transports business in and out of New York. Leo wants to be on the straight and narrow but his uncle begins sucking him back into the world that got him in prison to begin with. Can Leo find a way out of this life?

"If all they want is cash there's always plenty of that."

James Gray, director of The Immigrant, Two Lovers, We Own the Night, Little Odessa, and the upcoming The Lost City of Z, delivers The Yards. The storyline for this picture is interesting and has a nice blend of family and mob drama. The action and script are pretty good and the acting is better than average. The cast includes Mark Wahlberg, Joaquin Phoenix, Charlize Theron, James Cann, and Faye Dunaway.

"I have paid my debts to society."

I recently came across this on Netflix and decided to give it a shot since I had never seen or heard of this. This was a very solid and well done picture. It is an above average addition t the genre. It's not a classic gangster film but it is worth a viewing.

"Many lives have been destroyed by this system."

Grade: C+
February 14, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS A GOOD MOVIE 2 WATCH.......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that james caan, mark Wahlberg, Joaquin Phoenix, Charlize theron, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie........I think that james caan was absolutely brilliant throughout this movie......

The film was based on an actual corruption scandal in the mid-1980s involving the director (James Gray)'s father.

MTA New York City Transit (the city's Metropolitan Transit Authority) first refused the production companies the right to film at any of its yards because it believed the film portrayed the agency in a bad light.

The film was shot in Maspeth and Elmhurst, Queens, Roosevelt Island, the Bronx, and New Jersey. The railyard scenes were shot at the 207th Street shop on the New York City Transit system and at an abandoned freight yard in Brooklyn.

It was shot in the spring and summer of 1998 but not released until the fall of 2000 due to studio delays.

Box office

On a relatively limited release, the film, which had a $24 million budget, took in just $889,352 in the United States and Canada, and $34,684 in Australia.

Awards

Won
National Board of Review Awards (2000): Best Supporting Actor: Joaquin Phoenix

Broadcast Film Critics Association (2001): Best Supporting Actor: Joaquin Phoenix

Nominated
Cannes Film Festival (2000): Golden Palm Award: James Gray

man I think that this is such a gripping movie 2 watch, its got such a fantastic cast throughout this movie......I think that this movie started out really slowly but it keeps you on the edge's of your seats throughout this movie.....its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a gripping thrilling movie 2 watch, its got such a fantastic cast throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, it is such a thrilling movie 2 watch......
December 28, 2014
Fairly good, wonderful cast, although with quite a corny story.
December 7, 2014
Ok movie. The Yards is another typical entry into the "gangster" movie genre with big ideas, good performances from its great cast, but doesn't do well them. The plot is predictable and a bit boring, the pacing is so slow that The Godfather feels like it goes faster than this. The three leads give good performances for the genre, just not great material to work with unfortunately.
November 13, 2014
½ August 29, 2014
Good movie, typical of Mark Walbergs criminal type movies, but in this one it's all because of an accident. After being let out of jail Leo is accompanying his brother on a job for a subway company, but he is convicted of the murder that his brother did. Its thrilling movie, with some great actors and great preformances by them. The plot has some good twists, particularly at the end. There was some confusing moments for me on who's who at times, but they don't last long. How Leo wasn't caught snooping around his apartment when the police were looking for him was a little unbelievable though. But the movie was pretty good story about crime, corruption, betrayal, and family. Its an original plot but it's not even close to being Mark Walbergs best film.
½ August 4, 2014
I am not usually a drama fan but this movie got me hooked quickly and a few twists and turns kept it interesting... besides, it's Marky Mark!
July 25, 2014
nothing special too make this movie stand out...i'm not a fan..
½ June 3, 2014
Wow great talents young. great movie
MANUGINO
May 7, 2014
There's nothing more dangerous than an innocent man.

Great Film! "The Yards" invites you to taste corruption and to witness an imposed morality and then slyly allows you to resolve its escalating entanglements. The acting by the ensemble cast is outstanding. All the players capture the essence of the New York middle class gestalt beautifully. Mark Wahlberg delivers a somber but resolute character trapped in a vortex of graft and corruption. His performance is understated yet powerful. James Caan is one of the best at playing the small-time racketeer and he nails it again with his portrayal of the dirty dealing supplier. Joaquin Phoenix also shines as Willie, giving him a macho personality and the ability to rationalize any act according to his own code of morality. The cast includes Faye Dunaway, Ellen Burstyn and Charlize Theron in strong supporting roles. Nothing else to say, simply watch it whenever you have the chance. You won't be disappointed.

In the rail yards of Queens, contractors repair and rebuild the city's subway cars. These contracts are lucrative, so graft and corruption are rife. When Leo Handler gets out of prison, he finds his aunt married to Frank Olchin, one of the big contractors; he's battling with a minority-owned firm for contracts. Willie Gutierrez, Leo's best friend, is Frank's bag man and heads a crew of midnight saboteurs who ruin the work of the Puerto Rican-owned firm. Leo needs a job, so Willie pays him to be his back-up. Then things go badly wrong one night, a cop IDs Leo, and everyone now wants him out of the picture. Besides his ailing mom and his cousin Erica, to whom can Leo turn?
April 22, 2014
Mark Wahlberg is a fairly consistent actor - he doesn't seem to get any worse, and he sure as hell doesn't bother to get any better, and the same goes for 'The Yards.' I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not.
½ April 18, 2014
I now know why people have thought that Mark Wahlberg and Joaquin Phoenix can act. In this film with the support of an axing cast around them and director James Gray, these two young men put in, perhaps, their best performances.
½ April 15, 2014
Could have been better
½ April 11, 2014
great cast James caan..Charlize theron.. mark wahlberg... Joaquin Phoenix. . && more wow :) always love mark wahlberg always does a great job :) I liked charlize with dark hair and dark eye makeup good changeup ... storyline was very entertaining i enjoyed very much!!
March 6, 2014
Great cast. Story and pace is slow.