The Year of Getting to Know Us - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Year of Getting to Know Us Reviews

June 21, 2014
Loved watching Sharon Stone.
January 6, 2014
An interesting cast is swallowed up in a complete and total misfire.
½ December 30, 2013
Interesting cast. Alright movie.
½ December 24, 2013
Lucy Liu is the only good part of this movie.
April 28, 2013
This movie had a few too many flashbacks for my taste, and it was pretty uneventful, but I've always been a big fan of Jimmy Fallon, so I'm glad I saw this movie because it proved his dramatic acting ability.
November 30, 2011
didnt mind it when I was watching it but when I thought back I thought this was pretty shit. Who knows why you would put Jimmy Fallon in a drama movie, he didnt really seem to fit. pretty average performances from sharon stone and Tom arnold not that I was expceting much though.
½ June 23, 2011
Silly, but sweet. It is a rather quirky movie and sometimes that is good enough.
½ March 13, 2011
Jiimmy Fallon leads this mess of a film with no sense of any heart. The characters are believable here and are executed well for what they are, but by the end you feel sick in the heart for the lead character. It's effective and not horrible, but not great either. I'm split on this one.
½ January 20, 2011
A mess. Based on two short stories by Ethan Canin: "Star Food" and "The Year of Getting to Know Us." Shoves a broomstick up the ass of one, then the other. Jimmy Fallon is likable (important because the character is kind of a douche); Lucy Liu is fine; Tom Arnold doesn't have to do much stare into space. But dudes, Sharon Stone is not a good actress. It's not all her fault--her character is ludicrous--but most of it is bad line interpretation. At one point I thought, Why didn't they cast Susan Sarandon? And then I realized, Because then it would be a sort of gormless Elizabethtown. My bizarre takeaway: Jimmy Fallon should have starred in Elizabethtown instead of Orlando Bloom.
½ January 8, 2011
it was a so so movie
½ January 3, 2011
Interesting character piece, that has its high points. Jimmy Fallon does a good job at being dramatic. However, he is really in his element doing "Late Night" so he should stick to comedy, and not films like this.
December 17, 2010
I really enjoyed this one. A man discovers how truly screwed up his is through remembering his past. The flashback scenes worked very well and you start to really see the character.
December 11, 2010
Great, great cast who elevate the sometimes good, most times mediocre and previously well-travelled material. Love Illeana Douglas - she should be in every film.
December 10, 2010
I wasted my time in this film
½ October 27, 2010
It reminded me of a middle-aged bad version of Garden State. That said, it did have its poignant moments where you actually feel for the character. But they were few and far between.
September 2, 2010
I wasted my time in this film
½ February 22, 2010
Was this bad comedy or just bad drama?
½ January 27, 2010
DVD, Decent acting but movie was the dramatic type with not much of a concrete plot. Could have been done with more better cinematography and some close up shots of emotion. Lucy Liu getting older but still carries some charm. some of the tunes including Jessie's Girl was a blast from the past that made the moments memorable. couldn't push it beyond a 2 and half though. Maybe they should make Wonder Years into a movie.
½ November 1, 2009
Another coming of age story type of movie. I though the interaction between Jimmy Fallon & Lucy Liu was really good. It's not your ordinary kind of couple who would be together for the most part.