Year of the Carnivore - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Year of the Carnivore Reviews

May 5, 2014
I like this film and Cristin Milioti.
January 20, 2014
Cristin Milioti is the cutest thing on earth.
July 29, 2013
what starts out as a cute quirky comedy about a crippled nerd, slooowly moves to point where we find our heroine trying to find love and deal with her inexperience with sexual matters. She deals with a guy that doesnt know she exsists and typical parents that are clueless and still try to control here and what she does in her life. there are ute scenes and funny bits but over all its drags and after a while you don't really care what happenes to our nerdly girl.
hunterjt13
½ May 20, 2013
A nerdy grocery store detective begins "sexual training" to earn the affections of a musician.
Cristin Milioti, aka the girl with the yellow umbrella, shines in the lead role, but the film is troubled by the fact that very few of the characters are at all likable. Normally, unlikeable characters aren't a problem for me, but when the object of the protagonist's affections is an utter dick, we judge the protagonist; we all put on our "gay best friend" hats and say, "Girl, you're so much better than this."
Some of the situations Sammy finds herself in are chuckle-worthy (the mother teaching Sammy how to use a vibrator and the resulting threesome), but that's about the extent of the film's humor.
Overall, Ted's future wife is quirky and adorable, but her film choice needs improvement.
½ October 27, 2012
a delightful lil indie comedy i really enjoyed this it was a 3 yuck movie also it was nice to see the actress from one of my all time indie faves' i 've heard the mermaids singing" as the mom in this.
½ June 22, 2012
Nice little film, but rather one-dimensional. Would've worked better if we saw some real chemistry between the protagonists. A bit more local color, minor characters and conflict would've filled out the film better.
½ April 4, 2012
Stupidest. Movie. Ever.
April 1, 2012
So damn good. Yep that's my review
September 7, 2011
Christin Milioti is great as Sammy Smalls. She survived cancer as a child and has a bad leg. She's in love with Eugene and he's into her to but when they sleep together, her body issues get in the way causeing him to feel like less of a men. Both go on a quest of sexual discovery to learn to what's important in a relationship and the difference between sex and love. Movies like this are why I love indie movies!
September 5, 2011
So damn good. Yep that's my review
August 18, 2011
Not funny nor sexy, nor romantic. Just boring.
3niR
½ June 16, 2011
It was okay. Kinda reminds me of someone from real life. But not great enough to recommend.
½ June 15, 2011
Loved the characters here, but they just didn't seem to come alive too much and the story is chalked full of lines that feel very scripted when it had the potential to be as good as Juno. A leaner and safer, Shortbus..from the director of Shortbus.
½ June 11, 2011
Bizarre and disturbingly quirky.Too many "what the hell" moments.
May 9, 2011
I do not understand why this is a comedy. There is absolutely NOTHING funny in this film. Its' about a basically nice girl, although inexperienced and nerdy who develops a crush on a guy who thinks he's wonderful in bed, but from what is shown, he is as nerdy as she is. He cares about her but tells her to get more experience. On the face of it, this is a legitimate thing to say to her but why oh why does she pick (there is no nice way to put this), anything with male parts, men she does not even know. She is not gaining experience, just having sex and not only is there no comedy, I do not see the purpose of her doing this. It didn't make her any better in bed. At the end of the movie, her nerdy guy finally admits out loud that he cares and she knows she does so they are finally able to kiss properly? The only point this movie makes is that you don't need sexual prowess, you only need to care about someone to make everything flow smoothly. Why do I always pick the weird movies?
½ February 4, 2011
I can't decide whether I liked this or not... so it's probably safe to say not.
½ February 1, 2011
nice attempt, didn't strike me as a realistic coming of age story.
½ December 1, 2010
A comedy that I don't regret watching but, frankly, it was nothing special. For some reason it reminded me of Happy Go Lucky, even though they weren't too similar. Maybe the main characters were a bit.
November 7, 2010
Gross, absurd, and hilarious comedy about sex.
October 27, 2010
I wouldn't call it totally enthralling. But it was endearing and adorable in a weird quirky sense. And goodness knows I love the quirky-ness of everything. Kudos to Sook-Yin Lee and her Directorial Debut (at least, I think it is). I loved the plot and the dialogue. It was different and certainly original. Worth a watch, but like I said at first, it wasn't incredibly enthralling, so don't be surprised if it drags on a bit and you get a tad bored. Try and watch it all the way through though ^_^