Yelling to the Sky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Yelling to the Sky Reviews

Harlequin68
½ December 28, 2014
If every family is each unhappy in their own unique way, then the O'Hara family has hit the jackpot. First, Ola(Antonique Smith) and Sweetness(Zoe Kravitz) have to face bullies on the way home from school, before having to suffer under the hand of their abusive and alcoholic father(Jason Clarke), as their mother(Yolonda Ross) is pretty much catatonic. And then Ola gets pregnant which takes her away from her sister.

So to recap. We have bullying, alcoholism, physical abuse, mental illness, and teenage pregnancy. Did I leave anything out? Wait, there's also drug abuse, yet to come. In other words, with "Yelling to the Sky," there is just one awful and miserable situation without any kind of plot or story to really speak of. So, that just goes to show you how good an actor Jason Clarke really is, as he gives a master tutorial on how to build a character out of absolutely nothing. And I have never been so glad to see Tim Blake Nelson in anything before this.
½ December 10, 2014
Too many questions unanswered...I need full resolution.
November 12, 2014
Part coming of age story, part kitchen sink drama set in Queens, NY, this is the story of a half African American, half Irish American girl trying to find her way in a bleak, unforgiving family and school environment. Convincing acting, but the storyline is a little conventional.
June 30, 2014
Huh? I'm confused...
January 2, 2014
Such a deep movie. Zoe Kravtiz gives a stellar performance as Sweetness. It's the kind of thing that sneaks on the inside of you and holds fast. It provides no easy answers, no apologies. It is blunt and real. Worth watching.
½ December 19, 2013
Really moving film, I enjoyed it!
September 5, 2013
Just another sad story
½ August 6, 2013
This movie was horrible and really slow in my opinion I am genuinely upset that I sat here and watched it.
½ August 6, 2013
July 14, 2013
Good independent movie.....
June 10, 2013
This is an amazing debut from Victoria Mahoney. It can be a bit Grease-y and afterschool-special-y, and the story meanders. But as total product, it shows grit and promise. Every actor turns in solid performances and Jason Clarke is my favorite actor right now. This deserves a viewing
June 1, 2013
This film tells the story of a young biracial girl growing up in a bad family situation who turns to drugs and violence in an effort to learn where she fits in. This movie is well shot, but the script holds pretentions of bucking stereotypes while playing into them pretty perfectly. Every single scene is overwrought and wrenching, so the audience doesn't ever really get to feel a connection to our heroine (played by Zoe Kravitz). It is a genre sister to Precious and suffers from the same flaws, essentially. This girl's life gets progressively worse and there's not even a glimmer of hope which makes the movie hard to stay interested in.
April 4, 2013
Pretty good movie. Keeps you interested and has an excellent story line.
March 25, 2013
Listen... Yelling to the Sky - a powerful movie. A must see! A dear and truthful film about life long choices. Quiet yet eased with gripping punches that will have one ask questions about their own hands, verbalize soul, and inner power.

Victoria Mahoney (director) alongside a superb cast knock this 5 star dramatic film out Yankee Stadium!

Fabian Andrew Spencer Gibbs
March 6, 2013
indie ghetto drama marks the acting debut of lenny kravitz' daughter zoe.
February 10, 2013
its awesome I love antonique smit
½ January 17, 2013
I like it bc looking past some flaws the cast & story are real
½ January 13, 2013
i wanted to like this and it had potential, but there wasn't anything going on for a good chuck of the movie and i just got bored...
February 19, 2012
I love this movie. cry cry cry
November 6, 2011
I saw this movie yesterday and was really moved. It did a fantastic job of letting me feel the fear & uncertainty of a child growing up in a community of active addiction. The movie helps bring discussion to taboo subjects that face many of us. I highly recommend it.