Shiawase no Kiiroi Hankachi (Yellow Handkerchief) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shiawase no Kiiroi Hankachi (Yellow Handkerchief) Reviews

September 9, 2016
Starring Ken Takakura as a drifter picked up by a joyriding young couple, The Yellow Handkerchief starts out with just enough tension to keep you hooked on the possible outcomes of what is essentially a loosely-plotted, dialogue-heavy road movie. Will Takakura's character reveal the reasons for his troubling dreams of a prison escape? Will the young girl (Kaori Mamoi) get in over her head with the puppy-dog-in-heat driver (Tetsuya Takeda) she's decided to hitchhike with?

Yes, you find out the answers, but nothing goes in a straight line in The Yellow Handkerchief, and moments of character drama are deftly intercut with comedy and occasional silence to let us fully engage and care about each member of the central trio. I was impressed by director Yoji Yamada's restraint and his use of long, wide shots of the the Japanese countryside that let us decide our own pace of engagement.

Full review on Drama-MAX
June 27, 2013
A classic love movie by Yoji Yamada and Ken Takakura. Ken's performance was so powerful even in this movie, which is almost 35 years ago.
February 5, 2013
It works as a romance, a comedy and a road movie, Ken Takakura shows us why he is one of the greatest japanese actors of all times, and Yji Yamada one of the greatest filmmakers. A lovely film.
½ October 21, 2011
Typical Japanese movie, slow pacing and explicitly touching.
January 4, 2011
said to be one of his most moving films......where can i find this dvd?
½ May 30, 2009
A highly romantic and tender story, under a road movie appearence. A very possitive film, with the great Ken Takakura in a not-yakuza role.