The Yellow Handkerchief - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Yellow Handkerchief Reviews

December 31, 2016
will always be a fave
½ December 9, 2016
William Hurt's impressive performance isn't enough to carry the weight of this entire dull story while the rest of the cast, although renown, float about with little to dispel the blandness resulting in an enjoyable but forgettable drama.
½ April 17, 2016
classic, william hurt!
April 3, 2015
A mostly pointless story about a man, Hurt, who needlessly goes to prison for manslaughter and gets released six years later hoping his former wife (the lovely Bello) - whom he forced into divorcing him - is waiting for him. He meets a couple of outcast kids looking for acceptance (the even lovelier Stewart and Redmayne) who tag along to find out his story and force him to see it through. Eh.
½ November 10, 2014
I was looking forward to this movie, but I regret watching it. It was pretty boring and awkward to watch. A big disappointment.
November 6, 2014
This is a good road movie. I do like road movies and this one must be ranked in a higher category than most. From character painting to story development and visual narration this little film convinces throughout. William Hurt, Kristen Stewart and Eddie Redmayne form this weird group of ex-con, hurt teen and outcast that travels through post Katrina Louisiana. Slowly the background story of this guy is told and it is captivating how these three people begin to form a unity. Very convincing. 7,9/10 " - rogdie
June 22, 2014
This entire movie appears to be about three outcasts in a car going nowhere and for no reason. Honestly- that's it. I love Eddie Redmayne, but I really should have rented this before buying it. Even the $5 price tag at Wal*Mart was too much.
June 16, 2014
At first I thought the movie was too slow and boring but as it progressed, I started to like the characters and to feel for them... And I have to confess that the end left me misty-eyed...:)
½ September 28, 2013
Beautiful and sad story with a happy ending. Very good acting from everyone, except Kristen Stewart. I don't know, she was just... there. Is like she does't even try. Never liked her acting, or lack of it.
September 25, 2013
Intelligent editing and great camera work sharpens the actors and their characters. Acting is of high quality bringing a mysterious edge to each scene. This undercurrent gently twists and turns as the history of the past is revealed giving a luscious depth that is very visible. The strength of emotions and characters continues to the final scene. Nibbles: Sesame Noodles with Shrimp and Peppers.
cigaretteburns
September 22, 2013
this has got to be one of the gayest titles in existence.
½ July 16, 2013
Had it not been for some of the casts illuminating performances, I would have fallen into a deep slumber. This coming of age and road film moves along, very slowly. Southern slow and there is a whole lot of nothing drifting through the middle. I was intrigued by the three oddly-matched people on a journey and wanted to find out who they are and why they are together on this road trip. Good for a lazy weekend afternoon and it is the ending that makes it somewhat worth it.
May 4, 2013
Starts off slow but good little story.
May 1, 2013
I'm not a huge fan of William Hurt (supposedly he's a jerk in real life) but he was excellent in this movie. And Kristen Stewart just turned 23 -- I keep on seeing her in movies, and I haven't even watched any of the vampire movies! Maria Bello is dropdead gorgeous.

Sweet movie.
April 23, 2013
A small yet adorable film. Brett (a recently released criminal looking for the wife he left behind), Martine (a girl looking for someone who cares), and Gordy (a boy who is looking for somewhere to belong), all thrown together on a road trip to post-Katrina Louisiana. The most unlikely bunch, but they seem to fit. This film had me laughing and crying throughout. Not much action, but a whole lot of feeling. An instant favorite.
½ April 21, 2013
Another one of those very well done indie flicks with a great cast.
½ March 21, 2013
an interesting movie with heart. Sometimes awkward but you are rewarded in the end with a warm, fuzzy feeling
½ March 20, 2013
There's a good story to be told here, and that's between Bello and Hurt.

Unfortunately, it wasn't the only story to be told.
½ December 26, 2012
Eddie Redmayne shone in this movie with pretty boring writing.
December 25, 2012
Great movie just started to watch after so many good reviews