Yellowstone Kelly Reviews

• Nov 28, 2020

The definition of lacklustre. Needed more action to make up for the slowness. I'm not saying 'Yellowstone Kelly' is anything all that bad, as it isn't. However, it simply fails to make for an entertaining Western. Clint Walker (Kelly) and Edd Byrnes (Harper) don't have the necessary chemistry, though are likeable. None of the other characters, including the inappropriately cast Native Americans, are all that developed. It has recognisable Western themes, so fits in under those requirements I guess. It's just simply not exciting or enjoyable, it's very bland in truth. Doubt I'll remember this one.

• Jul 23, 2018

Yellowstone Kelly is an okay film. It is about trapper and Indian scout Luther Yellowstone Kelly who is hired by the army. Clint Walker and John Russell give decent performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Gordon Douglas did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the adventure.

• Sep 19, 2015

Average western from journeyman director Gordon Douglas. Clint Walker plays the titular character who finds himself caught between the cavalry and the a group of natives during an uprising, and tries to keep the peace. I've always kind of liked Walker, despite his wooden acting style, and always thought he'd have been perfectly cast as Frank Castle AKA The Punisher. Claude Akins and Warren Oates also appear in the film, which was written by the usually reliable Burt Kennedy. One interesting bit of trivia, this movie was supposed to be directed by John Ford with John Wayne in the main role but Ford and Wayne chose to produce "The Horse Soldiers" instead. I can't help but think that their version would have been much better, and also probably better than "The Horse Solders," which is think is one of Ford's weaker films.

• Oct 28, 2014

good western i just love clint walker

good western i just love clint walker

• Oct 09, 2014

141129: One scene involving an arrow caught me off guard, and then dragged out unfortunately. I was surprised, which is good. Much preferred the last Walker film I watched, "Fort Dobbs". This one had a few fun scenes for me but that's about it. Again, found Walker's acting stiff and stoic. He's not the western star for me. Recognized Atkin's voice but his youth and tacky moustache threw me off. John Russell plays one of the squarest jawed Indians I've ever seen.

• Jan 18, 2014

Rather entertaining and slightly offbeat Western about a fur trapper whose loyalties become tested when the Sioux clash with US soldiers. Rather contrived, and occasionally hilarious, (especially in how the Sioux and Arapaho all seem to understand fluent English!) Before "Dances With Wolves" there was "Yellowstone Kelly".

• Nov 26, 2012

Standard western partly exploring the relationship between the US army and the natives through a man stuck in the middle, but it never gets deep or meaningful, this is for entertainment purposes only.