Yeong-hwa-neun yeong-hwa-da (A Movie Is a Movie) (Rough Cut) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Yeong-hwa-neun yeong-hwa-da (A Movie Is a Movie) (Rough Cut) Reviews

½ October 5, 2013
Ji-seob So was awesome in this movie
March 26, 2013
I enjoyed this movie, I thought the acting was more than solid and I did like the concept of these guys trying to achieve a sense of realism in their fight scenes. Unfortunately, the film chooses to throw in subplots that end up diluting the original idea. The film focuses on their individual issues, the mob guy dealing with betrayal and how he responds to that, the actor and how he deals with negative publicity from all around, their relationships with their partners, etc. I mean they really were trying to flesh the characters out, so I appreciate that effort.really. But, again, it sort of dilutes the original issue of these two trying to infuse their fight scenes together with more realism by actually fighting. I suppose the events around them is supposed to influence the way they fight but the film doesn't always make that clear. The film is still solid, but it could've been better with more focused storytelling. I did like the acting, though the mobster was supposed to have gone through this change where he felt like a completely different person, but his performance didn't reflect that at all. He looks and acts the same way from beginning to end. Well, with the exception of the last 5 minutes of the movie. That's another thing I liked about the movie, the ending wasn't the typical 'everything is perfect and these two end up becoming friends' type of deal. It is a good and violent ending, that actually makes the film better, in my opinion. Still, the film could've been so much better if it didn't try to juggle so many subplots. It's still a solid film with some good action and solid performances.
February 24, 2013
An actor that plays gangsters has sent two people two the hospital during movie fights and now no one will work with him. Desperate, he turns to a real gangster and they fight on screen for real. Jang is an exceptional director, all three of his films are superb.
March 27, 2012
fillers ruin the movie.
Don't know why Kim didn't direct it himself, its a waste
March 9, 2011
A very good film about the masks we wear and the identities we try and portray to the world and convince ourselves of. And some kick ass fight scenes!
December 18, 2010
Nice comparison of celebrity machoism and gangster machoism. Plenty of action and a nice story lead to a satisfying conclusion.
October 19, 2010
I have a soft spot for Korean cinema after living there for two years, so any reason to revisit my former home away from home is welcome.

I'm just going to say it right up front: this is a film that deserves the widest audience possible. It goes without saying that it probably won't get that but don't let that stop you from seeing it.

It's not exactly an action flick, but more a gangster movie crossed with a showbiz black comedy topped off with that special kind of pathos that only Asian films know how to do. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Hollywood eventually remake this with people like Christian Bale and Mark Wahlberg or something like that.

It shakes out like this: a colossal jerk of a movie star named Soo-ta (Ji-Hwan Kang) can't get anyone to act opposite him in his latest movie because he beat the crap out of the last two actors and the media is having a field day with it. Plus, he has a girlfriend who he refuses to take out in public and insists on banging her in a van down by the river. His agent is fed up with him and a scandal is bound to rear its ugly head any day now.

Enter Kang-pae (Ji-seob So), a vicious gangster who loves movies. After an awkward run-in at a club with both their entourages in tow, Soo-ta gets the bright idea to cast him as the other actor. He agrees and everyone is so desperate to shoot, they go along with it. The only problem is that Kang-pae fights for real. That means Soo-ta needs to get tough quick if he's to win the final fight he's scripted to win. There's a lot more to the movie than that and it's a joy to go along for the ride.

Rough Cut is one of those movies made by and for movie lovers (like Inglorious Basterds). The final brawl between Soo-ta and Kang-pae is a muddy, bloody slobberknocker and easily matches that great alleyway punch-up between Roddy Piper and Keith David in They Live. There's one scene in particular where Kang-pae and one of his crew are playfighting with the main theme playing under them where I felt a Real Movie Moment (RMM). Not every good film has an RMM and even some bad films have one. The point is they're random and specific to the viewer and very hard to come by. This is director Hun Jang's first feature film and his kung fu is strong indeed. I'll be waiting to see what he does next with excited patience.

Rarely does a film this good come along so stealthily. This is the best so-called "movie-in-a movie" offering in quite some time. You owe it to yourself to check this out as soon as you have the means to do so.

½ October 16, 2010
meta + kim ki duk = win
August 1, 2010
This film has a unique story that I've never seen before, it's not like watching a film with a recycled story, as the story line is new and fresh it keeps you gripped, the fight scenes in this film are brilliant and the main character is cool.
June 23, 2010
Entretenida, pero me hubiera gustado ver a Ki-Duk Kim en la dirección...
½ May 3, 2010
Bona peli del BAFF, demostra un cop més com es poden fer pelis amb profunditat dramática i tenir escenes d'acció o de comedia perfectament integrades. M'ho he passat molt bé!!
½ March 20, 2010
It was alright. Not the best directing and no great performances by either of the two leads. It was entertaining though and had an engaging story, but without any character development.
February 7, 2010
frankly anything with So Ji-Sub acting in it is a good movie
½ January 28, 2010
ce film est génial!
½ January 1, 2010
A pretty nice action-drama from Korea with a slight touch of dark comedy all over. Liked the story & characterizations.
½ December 17, 2009
This movie might wanna teach us to live in real life and what's the differences between dream and real life.
½ November 13, 2009
A Korean "Stuntman." Nice bit of filmmaking. Solid storyline. Good performances. Very nice cinematography.
November 8, 2009
Seems like everywhere you look in Chungmuro nowadays, new talent pops up suddenly and unexpectedly. Kim Ki-duk protege Jang Hoon is one of the latest attention grabbers with his debut Rough Cut, co-penned and produced by the great leader Kim himself. Plotwise one recognizes some of Kim's usual motifs. The distinction between dream and reality, for example, are seriously brought into question also in Rough Cut, but not nearly in such a cerebral manner as in the former's works. Jang has developed a style of his own, directing with seldom seen fervour, giving the movie's rather intellectual premise a hip commercial appeal, considerably trimming it's arthouse edges. Actors So Ji-sub and Kang Ji-hwan also brings a bit of glamour to the screen. The movie within the movie-concept is also a very smart move by Jang, providing legitimate reason to include some great looking and top choreographed action scenes throughout, turning Rough Cut into a kind of thinking man's City of Violence. Ryoo Seung-wan should take notes.
½ April 6, 2009
funny. many hong kong ganster movies elements can be found in this film.
½ January 28, 2009
Rough Cut (korean title translates as "A Movie is a movie") the debut of Kim Ki Duk's protege Hung Jang in the directorial chair has a very interesting premise, but in a case similar to another native film, The Chaser, the movie doesn't know how to use it for the best.

A prima-diva actor and a real life gangster end up working together in the same movie. After the first one has send to the hospital two actors in a row because of his short-temper. The gangster agrees to work with him, after some unsual set of events, but under the condition that all their figthing scenes (the movie in question being a crime flick) must be real.

The idea of a movie-within-a-movie is hardly something new, but Rough Cut seems to really want to throw some insight into the whole notion of the fine line between reality and fiction. There are some amusing moments, with both characters being at each other troats numerous times. The friction between the rest of the cast and the gangster offer some solid moments. But in the second act the movie wants to stuff a lot of pointless sub-plots that go from an attempt of blackmail, to the gangster having the usual mafia related power struggles in his mob. At the end the movie just can't handle all this well and misses a great chance of becoming something more.

I'll say it's worth a try for the potential, the cast is quite good actually, don't let the two "pretty boys" actors misslead you here. Both do a quite convincing job with their roles. I suspect this could be a candidate for yet another pointless american remake. Kim Ki Duk co-wrote part of the script if my info is right, but gladly this isn't anything like his movies (not a fan of the man)