YMCA Baseball Team Reviews

• Feb 26, 2012

A funny, friendly, formulaic Korean, baseball comedy that is a solid extra-base hit. In 1905, YMCA missionary Philip Gillett introduced baseball to Korea and the following year the first game was played. "YMCA Baseball" is inspired by these events, but the comedy works better than the drama. The film's humor sometimes reminds me of "Major League", minus the lewdness and rudeness. It is sometimes hilarious and sometimes subtly funny. My favorite scenes are the side-splitting scenes when the players are first learning the game, but I also love the clever little touches like the Korean-style splash hit. When the movie veers into drama, it tends to be overwrought, overacted and underdeveloped. Nevertheless, "YMCA Baseball's" main characters are cuddly and the movie consistently entertains.

• Sep 01, 2011

just watched it again, and came to the conclusion that this is a really cleverly crafted movie. and beautiful photography! (and I rarely appreciate comedies)

• May 06, 2011

"Korean Week", Day 5. Fun baseball comedy (with quite a bit of drama thrown in), with the always excellent Song Kang-ho.

• Nov 22, 2010

starts off with great energy, but gradually descends into a cliched sports flick overwrought with histrionics and heavy-handed allegories