Yobi, the Five Tailed Fox (Yeu woo bi) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Yobi, the Five Tailed Fox (Yeu woo bi) Reviews

August 28, 2014
A beautiful film that strikes an excellent balance in being both a slightly silly fish-out-of-water story and a surreal adventure with roots in Japanese folklore. It's funny, sweet, and utterly charming.
August 22, 2014
I loved it. It was great animation even for today. I'm only giving it four stars for one reason. The ending. It was sad and it was sweet, but i don't know... too depressing for a kid movie.
June 6, 2014
Its a very touching cartoon movie. I wish you could film the next movie " Yobi the five tail fox 2"!
May 24, 2014
If you like Miyazaki, you'll love this lyrically charming folk tale of a magical Korean fox. Beautifully animated - especially the leaves!
½ August 12, 2013
This was just so fun to watch. So much of it didn't really make sense and I loved it. For instance, why the heck were the aliens even there? They were there because of the wonders of random chance just like anything that happens in this universe. It's beautiful, dreamy, vivid, and if you let yourself go for the ride it will leave you breathless.
½ July 19, 2013
Extremely beautiful animation. A great marriage of traditional hand drawn style with computer graphics. I would like to see more movies done in this style. As for the story, it was weird as any anime.
½ July 12, 2013
The animation quality blows Studio Ghibli out of the water. Amazing, imaginative story.
May 19, 2013
Beautiful animation and a really cute story about a five tailed fox and the serendipitous adventure that follows her.
May 5, 2013
The film has some gorgeous animation. It's a mix of with hand-drawn style with some computer animated backgrounds and settings. There's also some shots, mostly of the sky, mountains and lake, that also feels like a watercolor painting. These mix together into a film that is beautiful to look at. I think the characters aren't as well designed, but the movements are really well done too. The problem is, the story is an absolute mess. The story could've been interesting if it focused on the "main" story of Yobi trying to integrate herself into this class and "falling in love" with one of the boys. I think the film doesn't do a great job at taking all the pieces, the aliens, the Shadow man, the fox hunter, the autistic girl who captures one of the aliens, the love story, etc etc and creating a coherent story around these elements. They just jump from scene to scene without rhyme or reason. There are several scenes where I have no idea how they got there, several of them involving the autistic girl. It feels like there are some chunks of the movie missing that would better explain why the autistic girl was outside of the camp after curfew. I suppose it was done to move the story forward, but again it feels like there's a chunk of information missing from these scenes. And you don't really get to know a whole lot about the mythology surrounding this creature. They just go over the basics, she needs to eat the soul of a human to turn into a human herself. So if you were interested in the details surrounding this 9 tailed fox (who really has 5 tails, but for some reason the characters refer to her as 9 tailed) then you're watching the wrong film. I don't think the film is all ineffective, just a large part of it. I do like some of the aspects of this love story, and there is a certain sweetness to the film's climactic act and how Yobi is willing to sacrifice her soul in order to save the boy she loves. I thought that was sweet and well-done. But if I'm gonna be honest, the film is simply all animation with little to no substance as it relates to the story. I wouldn't say that it's bad, it's just that the story is an absolute mess when compared to the gorgeous animation. Still, I enjoyed this movie even with it's flaws and it's a really short film so it was really easy to watch and digest. Nothing I will ever watch again, but I still found it to be a solid movie.
½ February 9, 2013
Imaginative and heartfelt, Yobi gets 4.5 stars from me. Though it has a complex plot line, it manages to keep the film from becoming convoluted. Enough fun to entertain children, but enough drama and emotion to keep adults in it as well.
September 16, 2012
A finely crafted anime for adults or children, & of the same caliber as 'Spirited Away' or 'Paprika'. Elements of Korean mythology throughout. Thoroughly enjoyable!
June 22, 2012
Koreans, always making touching animation, and this one is not an axception... ya meskipun endingnya ga segitu menyedihkan yg ayam waktu itu sih...
December 3, 2011
my first k-anime and unfortunately, not as affective as Studio Ghibli's.
December 1, 2011
this k-anime has all the right elements: cute animals, mystery, childhood gaiety, combined with high-resolution 3D-scapes and action, yet lacks the passion and moving story that drives this genre of anime; it thus ends up as (pretty and) lifeless as the soul-stolen bodies it portrays. nonetheless, a commendable effort, particularly shining in the gfx department.
½ August 16, 2011
After 14 years of being an avid fan and viewer of anime-mostly Japanese-I've always wondered to myself what the other neighboring Asian countries had to offer in terms of anime. I finally got a chance to see and own five Korean anime films: Hammerboy, Sky Blue, My Beautiful Girl, Mari, Ark, and this one. Neither one of the previous ones were groundbreaking, but they were getting strong. The only problem with the previous ones was that they were slow and the characters could've used a lot more development. Yobi, The Five Tailed Fox makes up for what the previous ones lacked.

That being said, neither one was terrible. They were great starting points for Korean anime. Especially since it's only just making its debut in the West. The strongest thing going for them is the animation and artwork. Most notably Sky Blue. Yobi is no exception. At times it feels like a Japanese anime and at times it doesn't. The movement is much more fluid than most Japanese anime films, but it falls short of all the Ghibli films and the works of Katsuhiro Otomo. The lip syncing is also better than most Japanese anime. Rather than having the lips move up and down and occasionally moving inwards, on mostly close-up shots this film sets the records straight. The lips of the characters move and correspond to the exact sound and syllable of the Korean language. The shadow textures and use of CG is also very well done. Unlike Sky Blue, this film isn't nearly as liberal with CG rendered environments and backgrounds. The only scene I can recall that uses CG is the part where Yobi saves the bus from crashing after it gets a flat tire. Like Japan, Korea's animation does seem to be on a tighter budget and it does go to show in most of their films.

The story is much stronger in this film and the characters seem more developed and three dimensional. This film is directed by Seong-kang Lee, the same director of My Beautiful Girl, Mari. Mari is the most widely distributed and popular Korean anime film in North America. The film wasn't bad, but it's not one for the impatient, since it is very slow at developing its story and characters. Both are children's films and I am not a fan of children's entertainment. This film is much better in terms of pacing and character development. Kids would probably come to appreciate this film more for that fact and its humor. This film has the same amount of humor as My Neighbor, Totoro, which was the first anime film that got me into the medium and became obsessed with as a kid.

Like My Beautiful Girl, Mari, this film focuses on the relationship between a human and a seemingly mythological being. In this case, Guem-Ie and Yobi. Unlike with Mari the relationship is actually more captivating and is very well paced. The one fault of this film is that, while it accomplishes what the other films were trying to do it still seems a little uneven in terms of plot. The first half of the film feels more like a humorous rescue the friend who's caught by one of the kids in the orphanage mission, then it goes to the romantic relationship of Yobi and Guem-Ie, and then it goes to a more environmental approach where she's trying to escape a hunter and his ruthless attack dogs with the help of Guem-Ie. These are not major spoilers, by the way. Korean anime does seem like it's trying to copy the Japanese formula by combining multiple genres and diversifying its content, but it doesn't do it especially well. But hey, it's in its heyday so what have you to expect?

In conclusion, this film is a very strong film. It's perhaps the strongest Korean anime film since Ark and Sky Blue. It's a wonderful film for people of all ages. I'm not bashing the Korean anime genre, nor am I playing favorites with Korean and Japanese anime. Admittedly, Korean anime has a lot going for it and Yobi, The Five Tailed Fox goes to prove it. If Seong-kang Lee continues to make films of this quality, then not only will he popularize Korean anime in the West, but he would rank up with Miyazaki, Takahata, or Kon as one of the masters of anime. This film is very obscure, but if you are able to find it, keep it, share it, and help to promote the Korean anime genre.
½ February 22, 2011
Belle histoire mais plutôt accès pour les enfants contrairement à My Beautiful Girl Mariqui jouait sur le sentiment de nostalgie qui touche aux plus adultes. Sympathique.
½ January 26, 2011
The animation progressively improves, but the characterizations stall somewhat.
½ August 7, 2010
wth with the discription here?!
this animation is one of the best I've seen lately. and with a bright ending.. something easy to watch and it's made really beautiful :)
August 3, 2010
one of the most Excellent Feature Animated films
March 29, 2010
five tailed fox? copy of naruto clearly ._.