Yonkers Joe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Yonkers Joe Reviews

June 7, 2013
I recommend seeing this movie. It is like no other I have ever seen.
March 29, 2013
This is an all over the place indie that tries hard but is brutally inconsistent.....the ride just ain't worth it.
May 19, 2012
oh boy another movie about gamblers n cheaters
May 19, 2012
good gambling movie+crime heist pic
½ April 8, 2012
Casino movies are fun. This one deals with the relationship between Chazz and his mentally challenged son.
½ September 30, 2011
Terrible script improved greatly by the unexpectedly excellent performances. I can't recommend it, but it isn't a terrible film. Just not a great one.
½ August 7, 2011
Yonkers Joe succeeds very well as a family drama, with an authentic feel. The gambling aspects of the film were also interesting, though never fleshed out enough. But overall, I found Yonkers Joe to be pretty moving, with a lot of credit going to Chazz Palminteri with his spot on performance.
SC007
July 31, 2011
Great film!!!

Chazz Palminteri shines in the film. It is great seeing him in a leading role where he isn't the villain. He also has a great ensemble including Christine Lahti, Linus Roache, Michael Lerner, and Tom Guiry. Lahti has a great on screen chemistry with Palminteri. Great screenplay. I definitely recommend this film.
½ May 30, 2011
pretty good for a rainy day. not a must see, but not bad. gambling parts were fun, held my interest.
½ February 13, 2011
The parts of Yonkers Joe that have to do with gambling are fun; unfortunately, they make up only half the movie. The acting for the most part is decent,But the direction is all over the place making the film at times difficult to watch,Main problem with this film is it try's too hard & fails at it's attempt,I say RENT IT!!!
½ July 14, 2010
(**): Thumbs Down

I like the cast but the story just didn't really grab me. Fair at best.
½ July 7, 2010
I really liked this movie and thought all the performances were great. The characters were real, had real problems and dealt with them like real people do. This seems basic but its surprisingly novel. The plot was good and progressed logically and I totally got sucked in. The final ending is a bit too much but overall a nice little movie.
½ June 26, 2010
This was poorly acted was poor and an old and an unorigonal storyline makes this movie dreadfully boring.
June 15, 2010
Great Movie! Really Liked It.
½ March 28, 2010
After renting a few highly touted dogs recently, I was pleasantly surprised after taking a chance on this sleeper.
½ December 8, 2009
A cross between 'Rain Man' and 'Oceans 11.' Not a 'great' movie, but it held my interest. Pretty rough language, but anything with Chazz Palminteri is usually worth a look.
½ November 18, 2009
pretty bad, pretty bad. but you get to see a kid with down's syndrome tell someone "your mother should eat a bowl of cocks", so there's that. also, christine lahti is a total GMILF.
jjnxn
October 5, 2009
Middling drama about the trying for the big score. Not much really. Christine Lahti is far to fine an actress to be stuck in dreck like this.
½ July 10, 2009
I've always had a soft spot for movies about hustlers. This film will however end up at Hallmark. Because when you throw in a mental patient in movie full of criminals you'll get a Hallmark moment. When the bad guy changes for the better with the help of his retarded son. The movie was sweet and had the heart in the right place but in the end they played the heartstrings a little bit too hard.
July 9, 2009
"Ocean's Eleven" meets "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter?" Err...not quite, but "Yonker's Joe" is still a sweet film with lots of heart. Although Chazz Palminteri's performance is a bit wooden at times, Tom Guiry's performance more than makes up for it (please no "Tropic Thunder" jokes...it WAS a great performance). Christine Lahti also provides some great acting as this unique twist on a casino heist movie leaves you all warm and fuzzy and wanting more.