You Are the Apple of My Eye (Na xie nian, wo men yi qi zhui de nu hai) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You Are the Apple of My Eye (Na xie nian, wo men yi qi zhui de nu hai) Reviews

December 14, 2015
Sweet and quirky bildungsroman. A fairly accurate portrayal of growing up and going to school in Taiwan in the 90's.
August 1, 2014
Very funny Taiwanese flick. Loved it!
July 27, 2014
One day, this coming of age film will be one of the greatest achievements in Asian cinema, if it hasn't already.
April 6, 2014
Rating: 4.5

I might have liked this film if I were 17 years old and went to watch it with a bunch of male friends. Alas, from an artistic POV, I find this film--like its protagonist--to be lame, puerile, and banal. That it has won accolades and seems popular with the crowd is not testament to how good it is, but a reflection of the sad state of Taiwanese cinema and the poor taste of Asian audiences in general.

Narrative: 1.5/3
Cast: 1.5/3
Aesthetics: 1.5/3
½ February 4, 2014
My Rating: 4.5/5 stars; Grade: A-; Gesture: Two Thumbs Up; Status: Significantly Terrific (Fresh); Emoticon: :-D.
½ January 30, 2014
A big thank-you to the author for inviting us into his world where adolescent boys roamed free, and immaturity a given. It becomes funnier if you understand mandarin.
½ January 30, 2014
Perhaps it was the authenticity of the credible characters, or just the outlandish but plausible situations, but I enjoyed this taiwanese/hokkien bildungsroman more than initially thought. No wonder, since it came from a semi-autobiographical novella, which I wish I could read in its original language. A praiseworthy rendition to film, through smooth, mosaic storytelling, and a wonderful discovery about 3 years late, but fresh, this (c) new year.
August 29, 2013
Not as lame or cheesy as expected, a little crass, but that's high school.
June 9, 2013
seems like the director managed to retell his story pretty well. a sweet move-on gift for his girl. love the realistic depict of his high school. where all are equally troublesome.
May 15, 2013
BEST ASIAN LOVE STORY EVER!
May 12, 2013
you should know that I get easily irritated by Asian movies, I even despise most of them, but im giving this 5 stars so you know what to do. Especially works like charm for those who want to reminisce their high school moments (and those girls/boys you had crush on too)
½ May 7, 2013
Adolescence is like a heavy rain. Even though you catch a cold from it, you still look forward to experiencing it once again.
March 30, 2013
This movie is embarassingly childish and in general in poor taste. The director/writer does not seem to have any depth in writing, developing and making this film. Every character in this film is one dimensional. The last 10 minutes of the film is ridulous. It just repeating many of the earlier 'sentimental' scenes. I thought I was watching the 'extra feature' or 'trailer'.
½ February 18, 2013
Loving someone is just to be happy with the one you love. "Apple" may look too fantasy for me but I forgave because it was meant to be a semi-autobiography fiction wrote by the lead character in the movie. And it left an impressive moment.
January 5, 2013
A coming of age sweet, nostalgic, heartwarming romantic film among Chinese adolescent youths spending high school years together, fall in love for the same girl, growing up and learning lessons in life. The story is light, simple, ordinary, but it's memorable and satisfying to watch. A decent film that lets us reminisce about the past when we're the same age as the characters in the film. The film also One of the best films of 2011.
½ January 4, 2013
This light and simple story zooms in on growing up with a girl who all your best mates fancied. It is humorous, brings back childhood memories of puppy love and coming of age pain, and gives a glimpse of beautiful scenery, especially the countryside, of Taiwan. I suspect a lot of its appeal come from the cultural aspects, a collective memory of what it was like in those years, doing what was done, feeling what was felt.

I like the story. Everyone has a Shen Chia-Yi, a symbol of perfection unattainable, mesmerising you, so close yet so far, bringing you joy and regret, and at the end will not belong to you.

The director is a self-made online novelist. I see a good start to his filming career, although it is merely a start. A lot of the shot progression felt very poorly structured but the overall atmosphere of portraying one's own semi-autobiography was consistent.
December 15, 2012
Two stars for the ending only.
½ December 14, 2012
Nice story. A good ending romance doesn't always end as we expected right?
December 13, 2012