You Can Count On Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You Can Count On Me Reviews

May 12, 2017
If Kenneth Lonergan were only a good director, I would still take away his finesse for economy. He seems to tell as little as he expects the audience needs to understand the characters' circumstances, emotions, and priorities. A challenge is appreciated. If Kenneth Lonergan were only a good screenwriter, I would still take away his craft for bringing natural lightness to situations, no matter how tough it gets for the characters at hand. In the case of You Can Count on Me, we get both strengths, plus an affecting relationship between two siblings, Sammy (Laura Linney) and Terry (Mark Ruffalo). Mature adult relationships between siblings is much rarer in cinema than I had realized, before watching this. I empathized greatly with both Sammy and Terry, who have very different views on family values and their relationship with the small town in which they grew up. Terry's current circumstances are much more mysterious than Sammy's, though, regardless of Lonergan's intentions, I was far more interested in what Sammy had been going through. I mean, Sammy had both a potential engagement with someone (Jon Tenney) and an affair with her boss (Matthew Broderick). Terry's freespiritedness was surely empathetic, much credit to Ruffalo for that, but there was little revealed of what he was actually doing. That is likely in Lonergan's intentions. Terry's behaviour may be his own way of dealing with his parents' freak accident death (first scene); it's not even that relevant to the core of the film -- how the characters move forward. No one acts hurtfully or spitefully, in response to a retrospective action. Everyone may do some coarse things in a moment, but they have a desire to hug it out, before it is too late.
April 3, 2017
Very interesting story - the image we want to project vs who we really are. Mark Ruffalo very good.
½ March 3, 2017
Strong performances and characters make for an absorbing drama film. its a bit ambiguous, which is normal for Kenneth Lonergan films. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
½ February 20, 2017
It feels like a spiritual prequel to Manchester by the Sea in every way possible. Though it drags at times, Lonergan's artful dialogue and directing will hold the audience till the end.
½ January 31, 2017
A strong movie about human relationships, about how the death of both their parents affected the life of the brother and sister. Warm and at the same time uncompromising movie.
½ January 25, 2017
Good times in Massachusetts.
December 22, 2016
So seldom do films like this rise above their melodrama to reveal humanity, but Lonergan has written the right words for the right actors and this entire piece feels true.
November 11, 2016
I found this movie very weak. It kept my attention and I cared about the characters but it was very disjointed. The music did not fit the scenes and was way too loud. What I did enjoy was watching a 16 year old movie to see a plot without cell phones ,caller I.D, and a much younger Laura Linney, Mark Ruffalo , Matthew Broderick and Rory Culkin.
August 6, 2016
Great movie. Well done in every way. Ruffalo shines, a must see.
½ July 25, 2016
Brilliantly acted simple but profound story about family relationships - both lead actors are compelling to watch.
June 3, 2016
Easily one of the best films of the last twenty years. What raises You Can Count on Me above almost every other character-driven film of its kind are the quietly beautiful performances of Linney and Ruffalo. The genuine affection the characters have for one another is so expertly played out with humor, pathos,
and anger that you don't want the movie to end. Kenneth Lonergan has crafted a masterpiece of emotional impact and resonance on par with the likes of Five
Easy Pieces and Ordinary People.
May 30, 2016
Simple and honest, Ken Lonergan delivers a sensitive, warm and touching film about the relationship between two siblings as they try to find their place in the world and deal with responsabilities - succeeding largely thanks to empathetic performances from Mark Ruffalo and Laura Linney.
February 13, 2016
Feels like amateur hour on all levels compared to Margaret, but it's still pretty good. Worth seeing for sure.
September 28, 2015
a decent indie film with a good cast. There's not a lot to criticise or praise really, it's solid but nothing special.
August 10, 2015
Simply a great, heart-warming movie.
August 1, 2015
One of my top 10 favorite movies ever. Mark Ruffalo, Laura Linney, and Matthew Broderick just kill it in this movie. Especially Ruffalo. Fantastic acting and writing.
½ July 15, 2015
This was a film hat came out of nowhere to me. I liked the cast and the story sounded intriguing. Mark ruffalo and Laura linney play a brother and sister keeping minimal efforts to stay in touch who are very different people, yet seem to be bonded through events with her child, Rudy. Big characters suffer consequences of their actions throughout the film, and learn and seem to go about life. I loved how real this seemed, and was very pleasantly surprised with this hidden gem
June 23, 2015
A great family drama in the tradition of Ordinary People.
½ May 10, 2015
Decent drama. Engaging, but nothing great about it.
April 19, 2015
Episodic and not quite the dreamy Scorsese film that some have gone gaga over.
Its more of an HBO dramedy, made for cable tv.
I didn't get why some thot is was so magical.
It was ok.
No great drama or comedy.
I didn't get it, I guess.

2 out of 5