You Can Count On Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You Can Count On Me Reviews

August 6, 2016
Great movie. Well done in every way. Ruffalo shines, a must see.
½ July 25, 2016
Brilliantly acted simple but profound story about family relationships - both lead actors are compelling to watch.
June 3, 2016
Easily one of the best films of the last twenty years. What raises You Can Count on Me above almost every other character-driven film of its kind are the quietly beautiful performances of Linney and Ruffalo. The genuine affection the characters have for one another is so expertly played out with humor, pathos,
and anger that you don't want the movie to end. Kenneth Lonergan has crafted a masterpiece of emotional impact and resonance on par with the likes of Five
Easy Pieces and Ordinary People.
May 30, 2016
Simple and honest, Ken Lonergan delivers a sensitive, warm and touching film about the relationship between two siblings as they try to find their place in the world and deal with responsabilities - succeeding largely thanks to empathetic performances from Mark Ruffalo and Laura Linney.
February 13, 2016
Feels like amateur hour on all levels compared to Margaret, but it's still pretty good. Worth seeing for sure.
September 28, 2015
a decent indie film with a good cast. There's not a lot to criticise or praise really, it's solid but nothing special.
August 10, 2015
Simply a great, heart-warming movie.
August 1, 2015
One of my top 10 favorite movies ever. Mark Ruffalo, Laura Linney, and Matthew Broderick just kill it in this movie. Especially Ruffalo. Fantastic acting and writing.
½ July 15, 2015
This was a film hat came out of nowhere to me. I liked the cast and the story sounded intriguing. Mark ruffalo and Laura linney play a brother and sister keeping minimal efforts to stay in touch who are very different people, yet seem to be bonded through events with her child, Rudy. Big characters suffer consequences of their actions throughout the film, and learn and seem to go about life. I loved how real this seemed, and was very pleasantly surprised with this hidden gem
June 23, 2015
A great family drama in the tradition of Ordinary People.
½ May 10, 2015
Decent drama. Engaging, but nothing great about it.
April 19, 2015
Episodic and not quite the dreamy Scorsese film that some have gone gaga over.
Its more of an HBO dramedy, made for cable tv.
I didn't get why some thot is was so magical.
It was ok.
No great drama or comedy.
I didn't get it, I guess.

2 out of 5
½ April 8, 2015
depressingly enjoyable and real life material. acting grown up,takes a backseat to childish behavior,that's amusingly watchable.
March 22, 2015
I thought it was ok, you don't require a lot of energy to watch this one, some people might like it more, but I did think the percentage on here was a bit off reality.
March 8, 2015
Great story, lots of depth. Great performances around the board, even from Rory Culkin. Tells a heart felt story about life and it's complexities.
½ January 17, 2015
A subtly played family drama with good cast apart from the possible exception of Matthew Broderick. Mark Ruffalo is particularly convincing as a character uncomfortable in his own skin.
January 15, 2015
They think that Mark Ruffalo best performances are in "The kids are all right" and "Foxcather", but for me it's this one. When the movie came out he was a young actor, still unknown to the audience. He plays a troubled character, paying a visit to his big sister in his hometown. He brings a lot of problems to his sister that at some point she doesn't want him around his son anymore. But the last scene, when they wait for the bus and say goodbye to each other, is really sweet. They still care for each other and can count on each other.
½ January 10, 2015
Nearly 3 and a half stars.
½ December 31, 2014
Laura Linney proves once again she is a flawless actress. Mark Ruffalo gives one of his best performances here and has an amazing screenplay
July 30, 2014
Even if the movie had a solid story and throughout great acting. I felt it was all drowned out by a terrible soundtrack that draws you away from the movie. I found myself being distracted by the deafening droning of a overly ambicious cello more than once.
That and I didn't care much Mark Ruffaloes acting. People seem to be amazed by it, but apparantly his 'talent' was wasted on me.

Good day