You Can Count On Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You Can Count On Me Reviews

June 23, 2015
A great family drama in the tradition of Ordinary People.
½ May 10, 2015
Decent drama. Engaging, but nothing great about it.
April 19, 2015
Episodic and not quite the dreamy Scorsese film that some have gone gaga over.
Its more of an HBO dramedy, made for cable tv.
I didn't get why some thot is was so magical.
It was ok.
No great drama or comedy.
I didn't get it, I guess.

2 out of 5
½ April 8, 2015
depressingly enjoyable and real life material. acting grown up,takes a backseat to childish behavior,that's amusingly watchable.
March 22, 2015
I thought it was ok, you don't require a lot of energy to watch this one, some people might like it more, but I did think the percentage on here was a bit off reality.
March 8, 2015
Great story, lots of depth. Great performances around the board, even from Rory Culkin. Tells a heart felt story about life and it's complexities.
½ January 17, 2015
A subtly played family drama with good cast apart from the possible exception of Matthew Broderick. Mark Ruffalo is particularly convincing as a character uncomfortable in his own skin.
January 15, 2015
They think that Mark Ruffalo best performances are in "The kids are all right" and "Foxcather", but for me it's this one. When the movie came out he was a young actor, still unknown to the audience. He plays a troubled character, paying a visit to his big sister in his hometown. He brings a lot of problems to his sister that at some point she doesn't want him around his son anymore. But the last scene, when they wait for the bus and say goodbye to each other, is really sweet. They still care for each other and can count on each other.
½ January 10, 2015
Nearly 3 and a half stars.
½ December 31, 2014
Laura Linney proves once again she is a flawless actress. Mark Ruffalo gives one of his best performances here and has an amazing screenplay
July 30, 2014
Even if the movie had a solid story and throughout great acting. I felt it was all drowned out by a terrible soundtrack that draws you away from the movie. I found myself being distracted by the deafening droning of a overly ambicious cello more than once.
That and I didn't care much Mark Ruffaloes acting. People seem to be amazed by it, but apparantly his 'talent' was wasted on me.

Good day
June 17, 2014
other than the good performances, I found this movie extremely dull.
February 23, 2014
Is this a great movie? No. But it stands out in our ocean of cynicism and bile. See it and rejoice in simple things.
December 15, 2013
I think that I would have really enjoyed this years and years ago, but it just didn't hold my interest at all.
½ November 4, 2013
OK, the best scene is the one where the Catholic priest provides direction to Mark Ruffalo's character, in a way that doesn't 'slam' religion does his throat.
August 4, 2013
This is a rather innocuous "feel good" film that has more potential than realisation. The performances are great with excellent cast including Laura Linney (The Squid and the Whale), Mark Ruffalo (Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind), Matthew Broderick (The Stepford Wives) and Rory Culkin (Signs). However the plot is rather thin and while it attempts to delve into "deep" subjectmatter, death of parents, extra-marital affairs, etc it all seems a little thin and superficial. The characters sort of float and lack much motivation or depth, and it is purely the strength of the cast that carries over an real sentiment and realism. Overall the film is a pretty average light affair and is rather predictable, with good performances.
July 29, 2013
Linney and Ruffalo are great.
July 4, 2013
this is definitely one of those movies I love to see. family movie with messy characters in it. the story is so simple, it's every days' life of siblings who fucked up in their own ways, and it's a long road short for them to understand each other and try to believe that they have each other's back. everything is so simple, well acted, of course it's Linney, and Ruffalo, and the little Culkin (having the time of his life since he acted since he was so little and he's really cute and amazing). it's so sensitive, I bet it's something that we all can relate to someway somehow.
June 10, 2013
Pretty amazing acting. Writing and direction is perfectly competent, but it's mostly in the acting.