You Were Never Lovelier - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You Were Never Lovelier Reviews

½ November 15, 2016
fred astair and rita hayworth
June 6, 2016
You're as beautiful as ever...it just takes longer now.

A traditional Argentinian family has three daughters that are young adults and anxious to get married; however, the father believes in his culture, which requires the daughters to marry in order oldest to youngest. The daughters are all in the love...except the oldest who has been promised to a man who has some reluctance to marry such a fine and wealthy woman. The sisters get behind the older sister hoping they can get in line to get married next if she finds true love.

"Don't frighten with your intelligence."

William Seiter, director of Roberta, Sons of the Desert, Borderline, Little Giant, It's a Pleasure, Champ for a Day, Hired Wife, That Night with You, and Room Service, delivers You Were Never Lovelier. The storyline for this picture was fun in a Little Women kind of way. The main male character, played by Fred Astaire, was charismatic and perfect. The cast as a whole was solid and also included Rita Hayworth, Adele Mara, Adolph Menjou, and Leslie Brooks.

"We're working together again!"

This was recommended to me by Fios so I decided to give it a shot. I haven't seen many Astaire movies and thought this would be a good one. There is some cheese in here, and the plot is very straightforward and predictable, but this does have a nice classic feel that makes it worth a viewing.

"He will come to you on his knees."

Grade: C+
½ March 14, 2016
The latter of Hayworth's two films with Astaire is more cohesive than the first, with great comic support from Adolphe Menjou.
August 14, 2015
Rita - so graceful.. so beautiful.. She is not Ginger, but in this movie, she shows she is such a beautiful partner and dancer for Fred. Love this movie.
August 8, 2015
There are a few women as beautiful as Rita Hayworth, and in this picture she is also able to flaunt her dancing skills. The pairing of Astaire and Hayworth does seem a little bit of a May/December combination, but the film is still a fun watch.
July 11, 2015
Always enjoy Fred's dancing. The story - not so much.
½ June 5, 2015
One of the best musicals of the 1940s, a charming, romantic film with a lovely score by Jerome Kern which includes the title song, the Oscar-nominated "Dearly Beloved" and - best of all - the magical "I'm Old-Fashioned."
½ April 24, 2014
Rita is the only one to partner with Astaire who's more charming than he is
December 7, 2013
This was made after the success of "You'll Never Get Rich." It's set in South America where a father wants to get his four daughters married by their age from oldest to youngest. The oldest gets married, but the second oldest played by Rita Hayworth is very picky; her two younger sisters want her to get married because they themselves are very desperate. The main plot is the father writing love letters to Rita and sending flowers as an anonymous lover so if Rita falls in love, he will later find a guy for her to get married. By accident, Fred Astaire ends up delivering the flowers to their house, and that's where the fun begins. Very much like the first film, few of Hayworth's expressions are somewhat artificial, she is not nearly as good as in the other films I've seen, but she is always charming. The song and dance routines are a joy to watch. "Cover Girl" is still my favorite of the musicals I've seen of Rita Hayworth because I get to see her in color and I think its dance numbers are more creative. I prefer this film over "You'll Never Get Rich." I'm excited to see more of Fred Astaire!
December 4, 2013
While not a great film, it is a musical comedy worth seeing. A shame we couldn't see Rita & the other girls in color here.
October 26, 2013
First off, Rita Hayworth is very, very beautiful. Shocking, yes, I know. She is also very talented at singing and dancing. The story is pretty ridiculous, but it's also enjoyable in that old school everything-is-allright sort of way classic movies like this project often. Astaire and Hayworth don't really dance much together in the film; when they do it's pretty fantastic, but none of the songs themselves stand out to me. There's a few good little moments of humor as well. More light, fluffy fun from Astaire.
October 8, 2013
All the convoluted back-and-forth about scheming to marry off daughters is secondary to the dancing and chemistry between stars in this Argentina-set musical comedy. Outside of Ginger Rogers, Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth are probably my favorite pairing of his. They only did two films together, but they're a match on and off the dance floor here, and whenever Hayworth is on screen, she embodies the title of the film -- very glamorous. With some good songs by Jerome Kern and Johnny Mercer, 'You Were Never Lovelier' is one of the better Astaire vehicles.
½ November 21, 2012
oh watta sweet,,, movie :)
½ August 7, 2012
vehicle # 2 4 fred/rita
July 30, 2012
I know, I know, Fred Astaire, only three stars . . . it was kind of meh and seventy years later . . . it has become overly predictable. Not sure this one stands up to the test of time.
May 15, 2012
I've seen quite a few films starring Fred Astaire now, and his dancing never fails to entertain me! This time there was a South-American flavour which made it a bit different! The plot wasn't too bad, either, but the music and the dancing was what made it worth watching.
April 13, 2012
Two of the finest dancers!
January 8, 2012
What a sweet musical -- Fred Astaire playing the shy dancer who's looking for work in South America, Rita Hayworth playing one of a family of sisters with a father who orchestrates everyone's lives. A more unique plot, I thought, paired with good humor and a lovely starring pair made this a joy to watch.
November 5, 2011
A solid musical with a better than average rom com esque plot line, and more than a few great Kern/Mercer tunes. Fred Astaire's dancing is perfect as usual, and Rita Hayworth's is surprisingly just as good.
September 12, 2011
Glittrande eskapism medan världen brinner. Det slår väl inte direkt gnistor mellan Rita och sedvanligt pinntorre Fred men filmen har tillräckligt med driv och underhållande bifigurer för att överträffa förutsättningarna.