You Were Never Lovelier - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You Were Never Lovelier Reviews

½ July 30, 2011
Not enough music or Fred Astaire in this Fred Astaire musical... at least in the beginning. We do eventually get some nice dance numbers with him and Rita Hayworth (and yes, she has never been lovelier), but we have to put up with a not-all-that-interesting romance plot. All in all, Astaire's made better musical-comedies than this.
June 1, 2010
really really lighthearted. But tht's not a problem. the thing to get out of this film were breezy or conversely foot-tapping dance numbers and of course 2 amazing stars. It delivers
April 30, 2010
A pretty run-of-a-mill dance musical from a period when they were immensely popular. There's no doubt that Fred Astaire was a talented performer, but I don't appreciate this as much as his classic films with Ginger Rogers.
½ April 9, 2010
½ April 9, 2010
79/100. This is certainly one of the best musicals to come out of the 1940's. The pairing of Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth is surprisingly effective. The score is great and contains memorable songs. Good art direction and it's nice blend of romance, music and comedy. Excellent supporting cast. Adolphe Menjou, Isobel Elsom and Xavier Cugat are all terrific.
½ June 3, 2009
When I watched the scene with Hayworth in her nightclothes, I couldn't help but think, "Gee, maybe if I wore that kind of stuff to bed, instead of Snoopy Red Baron pajama pants, my life could be racier." The female costumes in general were good.
mwilliams078
June 1, 2009
"You Were Never Lovelier" from 1042 starring the very taletned dancer Fred Astaire and the beautiful Rita Hayworth. This musical comedy centers in South America where a wealthy businessman whom owns a hotel is looking to marry off his next in line daughter (Hayworth). This will be done by him posing as a suiter and sending lovely letters and flowers and then enters the dancer (Astaire) whom is looking to get a job at the nightclub in the hotel and then poses as the letter writer....a lovely musical score and dance numbers for a sweet film.
littlecharmer1959
½ May 20, 2009
OK, so the plot is kind of meh, but I'll add on an extra half star just for the dancing of Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth. Fred and Rita always struck me as a slightly odd pairing when you put them together, but Rita was Fred's favourite dancing partner and their chemistry and the great choreography make the film. I just want to mention Gus Shilling who played the slighty camp secretary, who was the most hilarious aspect between the musical numbers.
March 17, 2009
Loved it! I thought it would be corny at first, but it kept me interested! Cute storyline, great dancing, of course!, and it really made me feel like I was born in the wrong era. *sigh*
March 1, 2009
The first Astaire/Hayworth I've seen and wow, what a pair! I wanted to keep from comparing her to Rogers but she dances so lovely in Astaire's arms one can't help but be at least reminded, and that's a compliment to both Astaire and Rogers. Hayworth is simply stunning, I'm pretty sure she was an unrivaled beauty at the time, and to top it off the girl has got moves. Some memorables: Astaire's solo "Audition Dance" that started off kind of benign with some okay steps but accelerated into a more physical, room-filling dance with great prop work; the "I'm Old Fashioned" number which was so damn classy; and 'The Shorty George", the fast paced tap number. Some added bonuses: the Acuna parents who were such a cute couple, ongoing themes like the "air" and "ice" or "refrigerators", the first time I've heard Astaire's voice crack when confessing his love, terribly romantic one liners, the very pretty Lina Romay as the band leader, and Astaire in knight's armor. Overall, a great dancing movie with a decently entertaining plot to hold it together.
½ January 5, 2009
I love Rita Hayworth and in my humble opinion she's a much better dancer than Ginger Rogers (and receives much less credit). For that reason alone I have given 'You Were Never Lovelier' a half a star extra than 'Top Hat'. The choreography of the musical numbers is simply stunning and the plot is a lot of fun with some genuine laugh-out-loud moments. Of course Astaire is also fantastic - even though you know that, in real life, Rita would be way out of his league!
December 18, 2008
ANYTHING with Rita is worth watching !!!
November 12, 2008
Reminds me of Taming of the Shrew as well as another classic I just can't remember. Ok (Menjou has a hard time being bad, as does Astaire).
October 24, 2008
Fred Astaire was awesome, love him, films pretty good, love anything with him dancing & singing away.
September 12, 2008
myt all time favorite
September 2, 2008
Sweet musical - the songs were kind of boring, but Fred and Rita make a wonderful dance partnership!
July 20, 2008
It wasn't the greatest film I've ever seen, but the story was absolutely Shakespearian! Rita Hayworth is so beautiful; it's unreal.
½ June 9, 2008
Adolphe Menjou was very entertaining, and Fred Astaire is his usual charming, talented self, and Rita Hayworth was beautiful and great. But the story was really dumb, and the music and dances were nothing special.
April 23, 2008
A good musical which doesn't really need the the tunes as the story is strong and light-hearted enough.
March 3, 2008
elegent style, i like it