You Will Be My Son - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You Will Be My Son Reviews

July 21, 2016
There's a grim tale well-told in 'You Will be My Son': that of an egotistical wine-maker whose love of his craft exceeds that for his son, and to such an extent that he feels under no obligation to hide it. The film pivots around these two points, indulging a sense of love for the craft of traditional wine-making, but portraying the father's behaviour in an utterly unsympathetic light. But the son is a bit too craven to be interesting: he has a mysteriously beautiful wife, and his refusal to leave, and preference to stay around and be bullied instead, is a bit mystifying; ultimately the film perhaps shares with its characters a sense that patrimony is at heart the proper way of the world. The ambiguous ending, however, is well-judged.
January 22, 2015
The awkward, surprising twist & turn makes it looks so inconsistent.
October 14, 2014
Arestrup makes this movie magical. He sells this movie. You hate him. You cheer when he dies, then a small part of you wishes he didn't. This love hate tale of a father's behavioral issues towards those around him builds perfectly to an abrupt end. Maybe that is the only downfall. A happy, albeit quick ending.
August 4, 2014
Heavy handed and fairly one-dimensional characters in this but Arestrup as usual gives a compelling performance.
July 28, 2014
A fine script and wonderfully underplayed central character by Niels Arestrup help ground this tale of two fathers facing up to the prospect of losing their sons I. Entirely different ways. Once all the cogs are in place you can see exactly how it will all pan out but the strength of this film is that Director Gilles Legrand never let's its inevitability detract from the beautifully drawn characters and tense melodrama.
April 13, 2014
As a wine enthusiast, i enjoyed this film a lot!
½ March 26, 2014
Beautifully shot story of a acceptance and a family divided by a common business and passion for wine making. It's fairly slow-moving but there's a lot of conviction in the performances.
February 25, 2014
Great movie for wine enthusiasts and Francophiles. Plus, the family saga is even better. Lives up to critical acclaim.
October 8, 2013
One of the most thought-provoking movies I've seen in a while. I was surprised to see how many people were discussing it long after it was over.
October 1, 2013
Tu Seras Mon Fils only works because of the powerhouse performance of French star Niels Arestrup. There has never been a more narcissist overly critical father as in this film in which wine is apparently thicker than blood. Secrets unfold only to thicken the tension between two sets of fathers and sons resulting in a chain of action fueled by decades long resentment honed by the tyrannical abuse of Monsieur de Marseul. The French Cinema has a way of building suspense all their own so that the end doesn't always wrap up neatly and easily as it does in American cinema. Definitely a thought provoking end; This film will indeed make you really ponder each character's true intentions and loyalties in the end. Not the best of France I've seen but still very enjoyable. Ladies, star Nicolas Bridet is oh la la, who thankfully has tons of screen time.
½ September 22, 2013
This movie is aesthetically beautiful, but the characters are shallow, transparent, and unoriginal. If I wanted to watch a bunch of absorbed assholes drink wine, I would go to Kashmiers in Scottsdale.
Harlequin68
½ August 28, 2013
Even with all the hard work Martin(Lorant Deutsch) puts in around the family vineyard, his domineering father Paul(Niels Arestrup) hardly takes notice of him, especially when he is talking to reporters. That also holds true off the job except when Martin and his wife Alice(Anne Marivin) put their bed's springs to the test. But to everybody's disappointment, no kids yet. To be honest, Paul now has bigger things to contend with when his longtime estate manager Francois(Patrick Chesnais) is diagnosed with cancer and has six months left to live. So, it's a good thing Paul knows how to get in touch with Francois' son Philippe(Nicolas Bridet) in California.

"You Will Be My Son" is a compelling and downbeat familial tragedy whose story structure resembles nothing so much as a line of dominoes set into motion. That lack of control extends to how we cannot choose our family, which is Martin's central problem, even though he does love his father after a fashion. Paul not returning that emotion has more to do with his own issues, as he is so vain that he finds disappointment in a son who is not his mirror image.(Paul gives another reason late why he so dislikes his son, but he may have just been trying to get under Martin's skin at that point.) All of which is especially exacerbated by Francois' brush with mortality as questions arise over the next generation in a business where tradition is key.
August 15, 2013
It's in a foreign language so I won't know what's going on.
½ August 13, 2013
Beautiful film. So many things to think about. Great cinematography, great story. I know people like Paul de Marseul exist, but to see someone so ruthless go about his sociopathic ways w/no regard for others feelings is truly chilling. Cinematography is beautiful. Twist at the end - completely unexpected and entirely justified. See it soon!!
June 26, 2013
Stop trying to be arty and giving crap like this rave reviews
½ May 10, 2013
A classic French father-son melodrama set in the lush Bordeaux vineyards.
May 3, 2013
It seems I have a peculiar interest in father son movies.
May 3, 2013
Interestingly, the inset ad for the title is "Tu Seras Mon Fils" - the first 2 words areSpanish and the next two are French. Por supuesto, en que lengua es la pelicula?
May 2, 2013
I had dark fantasies for the main protagonist. Is that weird?