You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger Reviews

October 13, 2016
that third act feels like a punch in the face. he's brilliant
September 26, 2016
Wonderful and underappreciated ensemble piece from the great Woody Allen. Every character is in some way connected to the others, and each of them is in crisis and behaving badly and self-destructively as they seek happiness. Superbly acted by all, but particularly Gemma Jones as a divorcee who stifles her existential loneliness by seeking solace from a fraudulent psychic.
½ September 13, 2016
A far cry from Allen's glory days.
September 6, 2016
"-Sometimes illusions work better than medicine."
½ July 21, 2016
Strength comes from it's performances. A relatively good Allen picture. The resolution may leave a little to be desired for some, but it was at least getting somewhere reasonably interesting. One for the fans perhaps.
June 8, 2016
Lämminhenkinen draamakomedia, jonka jaksoi katsoa toistamiseen. Melko tyypillinen Woody Allen -elokuva. ^_^
½ February 5, 2016
It is not so bad as the ratings. I can recall when almost all woody allen movies were good and funny. That was before he decided it was better to be Bergman than to make good movies that people like.
October 16, 2015
There is no reason for this film to exist, and Allen could have come up with something much more interesting to say than that illusion is always better than reality. A soulless tale of sound and fury that signifies nothing and never knows if it is a comedy, a romance or a drama.
August 12, 2015
"You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger" lacks much of the edge, memorability, and intelligence of some of Woody Allen's more recent films.
July 23, 2015
A cute perky little drama that's not really that funny or romantic & didn't really leave a lasting impression for me. Once the credits hit it was like I'd already forgotten it. Yawn.
July 18, 2015
Despite the opinions of most, I found this film to be quite enjoyable. However, I can see why many don't like it. It is weaker than most Woody Allen films, but as a die-hard fan, I like it regardless.
½ July 16, 2015
it's not really Woody Allen's most amusing movies, but you'll catch the spirit :)
½ June 5, 2015
Can illusions be better than medicine? In this case, dear Woody Allen, I would definitely rather stick with my pharmacist. Cute though, we'll give you that.
½ May 16, 2015
Not bad if you are addicted to Woody's classic script, but something looks missed in this film.
April 12, 2015
I thought it was great!
½ April 10, 2015
It's an unique blend of comedy and drama, but overall it's definitely one of Woody Allen's most forgettable films.
March 31, 2015
What a waste of time waiting to see the ending of this film. My wife and I thought it may have been intermission time when the credits came up to signify the end of the film when it was just developing. Cannot give a positive recommendation. Very disappointing end.
½ February 26, 2015
an average woody film. same basic film as most of the rest. a good ending, interesting how the people hopeful of improving their lives, taking them in a new direction, get fucked over, yet the woman who isnt trying to do anything special -hopeful she'll live many lives- is given a happy ending. Alas, not one of Woody's best
½ February 23, 2015
When watching Woody Allen's movies there's an expectation of repetitive themes and ideas. Different actors add a different spin, and the jokes are all new, but ultimately you expect adultery, mysticism and unhappiness. You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger feels like someone ghostwrote this script for Allen. The characters are flat and unlikeable, and for no good reason there is a bland narrator who adds nothing to help this movie.
A great cast includes Antonio Banderas, Anthony Hopkins, Josh Brolin, all of whom don't fit. The cadence of Woody's dialogue doesn't work for any of the performers except the underrated Lucy Punch, as Hopkins' reformed prostitute girlfriend.
The film finally comes together in the 3rd act with unexpected and well-played twists, but then it just leaving you with a disappointed feeling in the end of what feels like a pale imitation of a great writer.