You'll Never Get Rich - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You'll Never Get Rich Reviews

½ June 4, 2015
Fred dancing is always nice to watch, even when the story doesn't intrigue me.
May 4, 2015
Witty Columbia musical (with a score by Cole Porter) pairing Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth; Fred dances to the Oscar-nominated "Since I Kissed My Baby Goodbye" but the highlight is Astaire & Rita dancing to "So Near and Yet So Far."
½ April 24, 2014
Not Fred's best but still lovely ...Both Fred and Rita being elegant as they are who's to say they're not entertained !
April 1, 2014
This post-Ginger Fred Astaire vehicle sees him partnered with young Rita Hayworth but the script is a dud - not enough dancing, a very bad Busby Berkeley rip-off set piece on a tank, and some especially dated comedy featuring "double-talk" (which apparently was all the rage in the early 40s). Poor Fred seems more hapless than usual and he has little onscreen chemistry with Rita. Still, the datedness of everything makes it a strange "found object" to view from the vantage point of the 21st century, probably not unlike how people in the future will feel about Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (or some more recent variant). But, stay away, it's ultimately boring.
March 24, 2014
Weak story, but Rita Hayworth is gorgeous and does some solid dancing.
½ January 1, 2014
Pure Hollywood escapism with an enjoyably silly plot, though it flags towards the end. A young, sparky Rita is at her most beautiful, and seems thrilled to be dancing with her idol.
December 7, 2013
This film turned Rita Hayworth in to a major star. It's my first film seeing Fred Astaire, he plays Hayworth's dance teacher. Eventually because of some misunderstandings he joins the army, the whole film concerns Astaire trying to win back Hayworth. My favorite song was "Since I Kissed My Baby Goodbye." Some of the funniest sequences involve Cliff Nazarro as Swivel, who uses double-talk antics. It's a fine film, enjoyable throughout but clearly not Hayworth's best work and I'm pretty sure it's not Astaire's best also.
½ August 7, 2012
fred rita pairing goes down smooth
April 13, 2012
Two great dancers at it for the first time. So Graceful
December 14, 2011
This film came as a neatly wrapped gift from the heavens above for both its leading stars. Rita Hayworth was already well known but despite more than two dozen film credits, she had few important parts to her credit (most memorable were Only Angels Have Wings and Susan & God) and was now languishing at a career stand-still at her studio Columbia. This was her first movie ‚on loan‚? to another studio.

Fred Astaire‚(TM)s career had of course already soared too much more dizzying heights, but since his split from cinematic partner Ginger Rogers his career had also plateau-ed and was now showing signs of going the way of the Dodo.

Along came this little song and dance film, which revived Astaire‚(TM)s career and proved him financially viable even without Rogers; and which propelled Hayworth to the height of fame, eventually leading her to playing the title role in Gilda, thus becoming one of the most recognizable and legendary actresses of all time. Not a bad achievement for a not all that impressive little film.

Now don‚(TM)t get me wrong, I enjoyed this musical, so when I say it is not that impressive, I only mean that it doesn‚(TM)t really stand out in any way, other than that it solidified the careers of two actors destined to become legends.

Few people will be able to hum any of the songs from the film, despite their popularity at the time, and an Oscar nomination for one of them. If you enjoy the grand musical genre of this period, then you will enjoy the songs though.

Astaire is of course, with Gene Kelly, one of the two most identifiable dance-musical stars of his era (and of all time, let‚(TM)s not be coy), but if criticism must be levied at the man, then it is that despite his great prowess, he did tend to stick to a certain type of dancing. In contrast this film features a routine with Hayworth ‚" The Boogie Barcarolle ‚" which is unique in his entire career.

As a final note: Rita Hayworth is one of the Golden Age of Hollywood‚(TM)s many famed troubled stars, mentally tortured both by the ‚new type of fame‚? that emerged around the time, and by the almost inhuman Studio System (a system which destroyed or nearly destroyed the careers ‚" and often lives ‚" of many actresses, including Judy Garland, Jean Harlow, and Marilyn Monroe just to name a few). Looking back on a troubled career, colourful marriage history and other misfortunes, she was quoted as saying wistfully that the only jewels in her life were the films she made with Fred Astaire, naming this particular one with great fondness.
September 5, 2011
Flimsy plot and not so memorable songs contribute to the overall flatness of the film. Astaire is Astaire and Hayworth is lovely; they make a great pair and both do what they can to save the picture, though it's not really enough. Oh, and the insufferable comic stylings of Motormouth (or whatever his name was) nearly drove me insane.
July 30, 2011
Typical 30s/40s musical. Quite fun, but nothing special.
December 10, 2010
"she is beautiful !" as they keep saying in the movie and I agree about Rita Hayworth
December 9, 2010
November 28, 2010
Die Story und Charaktere sind ziemlich flach und nicht sonderlich gelungen, dennoch hat der Film viele tolle Tanzeinlagen die ihn retten. AuŖerdem sind Fred Astaire und Rita Hayworth ein prima Filmpaar und Rita ist einfach eine der tollsten, schŲnsten und wunderbarten Frauen aller Zeiten. *schwšrm*
knappe 3/5
October 24, 2010
I quite liked it, the plot was sweet, the actors were awesome and it was really funny. I should be watching more of these.
September 14, 2010
The plot of the movie is not so interesting but lucky Fred, not only did Fred Astaire get Ginger and Cyd, he also got Rita Hayworth. Rita as lovely as he is talented, they are a stunning match on the dace floor. Just the footage of their dance routine is worth watching, they dance perfectly and effortlessly. Hayworth proves that she is as good as Ginger Rogers (or even better!!) ‚??You'll Never Get Rich" is lightweight but amiable entertainment, and it kept Astaire dancing...
May 2, 2010
Hayworth and Astaire together in a film how could you go wrong? But the storyline was weak at best
March 6, 2010
Gotta love any film with Fred Astaire dancing around!
½ January 6, 2010
Exceptionally good musical, the teaming of Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth is amazing. Rita looks exceptionally stunning in this picture. Very good production values, Cole Porter music and some superb dancing.