Young Adult - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Young Adult Reviews

August 25, 2015
Charlize theron gives one of the best performances out there in "Young Adult", Diablo Cody's hilarious and acidic passion project about a washed-up, stuck-in-high-school author who has sorely misread the world around her. Her performance is so good you sympathize even when she's doing things you know are awful, and her realizations of her mental issues are crushingly melancholy and brilliantly constructed. Young Adult is not just great because of her performance, however. It's great because Cody's script allows it to be completely multidimensional -- it's consistently laugh-out-loud funny, with some bitter, mean lines that make you drop your jaw in pure shock. It's one of the most absorbing, funny, and oddly heartbreaking films in recent years.
½ August 21, 2015
Good flick. Charlize is excellent. It can be a little hard to stomach for those who went through those awkward high school years. However, the story is great, the acting is great, and the reality of life definitely comes through.
August 6, 2015
A moving story about a woman who tries to relive her glory days by going back to her hometown and getting her high school sweetheart back. 'Young Adult' serves as a wonderful showcase for all star actress Charlize Theron and a breakthrough performance for actor Patton Oswalt, who plays Matt, a former classmate. Diablo Cody doesn't disappoint with her unique writing style. I've seen this film several times since the theatres and it only gets better each time. Easily Diablo Cody's best film overall and a thunderstruck performance for Charlize Theron. Love love LOVE this movie.
July 27, 2015
It's not as bad as people are saying, great performance by Theron and Oswalt, I've never seen Oswalt in such deep role, and of course Theron is always great. Unfortunaty the story is bad, the back story of Therons character is completely missing what happen between high school and now? what was the deal with her ex husband ? and the ending is complete dull, the middle was great, directing was great, the flow of the story pulls this movie down. So for this being my thoughts about this movie, I give "Young Adult" a solid C.
June 24, 2015
I failed to enjoy the movie that much for its entertainment value. However, I have to admit that Charlize Theron does a masterful job with the part. By the end of the movie I could not have disliked her more and maybe even hated her a bit and I realized that all my emotions were directed at a fictional character in a movie. That the writer and the actress were able to evoke these emotions is what most movies fail to do. Still, if given a chance and knowing what I know now, I would have passed on this one
½ June 12, 2015
Young Adult is powered with a fantastic performance by Charlize Theron, With a very complex and tedious mental state. Is depressing, embarrassing and sometimes funny. 3.5/5
June 2, 2015
The trailers for Young Adult suggest it's comedic. They're wrong. Young Adult is definitely more dark than funny and unfortunately I don't think a lot of people are going to want to see it for the holidays. It's their loss. I think it's a fascinating character study. Charlize Theron, excellent as ever, plays a depressed alcoholic who tries to steal back her married ex-boyfriend. She's amoral to a fault, but we can't look away from her mistakes. We're so drawn to her. This may be the most likable bitchiest character to ever hit the screen.
May 26, 2015
Don't market me a comedy and deliver a drama. False expectations hinder my experience. Slow, kind of pointless and really not that engaging.... well acted though, I'll give 'em that.
½ May 23, 2015
Witty and Intelligent... much better than that disappointment that was JUNO.
½ May 7, 2015
Had great potential, started off with a sort of indie-reunion movie vibe that seemingly wouldn't disappoint, but mid-way through, you find yourself disappointed. Especially with the ending which was, a complete buzzkill.
½ May 3, 2015
Charlize Theron is wonderful here, and the rest of the cast is superb as well. my main problem with the film is i wish she was a little meaner. She's not so much a despicable character as everyone is saying, i think shes more pathetic and nuts. Also the film is kinda slow, and being from Diablo Cody i thought it could have been funnier.
May 2, 2015
Charlize Theron turns in a great performance as extremely troubled "Young Adult" author Mavis Gary. Throughout the film she demonstrates a lot of emotion especially immaturity with everything her character goes through. While some things about her character are a mystery, the script gives you enough so you are both with and against her character. While at times the film leaves you with an uncomfortable feeling, it remains a great character portrayal that is both hilarious and depressing that by the end you won't know how you feel. A-
April 11, 2015
Unexpectedly serious study of a lost soul. If Michael Fassbender gave the best male performance of 2011 in Shame -- Charlize Theron gave us the finest turn by a female actor in this highly intelligent cinematic work. Paramount really failed the movie in the way it was promoted. I think many expect it to a be comedy. It isn't. This is a tragic story with a few realistic comedic turns. Sad societal commentary.
½ April 10, 2015
Always a great acting role, she always goes the extra mile.
February 13, 2015
This movie did it's job in making me feel awkwardly embarrassed on the behalf of the lead characters. Not saying that's a bad thing.
January 30, 2015
Polarising for sure but a great performance from Theron and a barbed script from Cody put this firmly in my thumbs up column. Full review later.
½ January 28, 2015
High school haunts Hollywood again... Highly predictable and extremely unlikely for real life but possibly still fun if you were jealous of the popular kids at your school. Otherwise, there is always an inspired performance by Theron and trendy scriptwriting by Cody. Watch if you have an anatomically weird penis for a little motivation, encouragement and hope.
½ January 17, 2015
Subtly hilarious, very enjoyable. Theron owns her role
January 8, 2015
Funny movie. Great performances
½ December 23, 2014
Patton Oswalt gives an excellent performance and Charlize Theron plays such a good bitch.