Young at Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Young at Heart Reviews

July 13, 2016
There is no way that Doris will fall for that mess that Sinatra is in this film. I never once believed that relationship. The best things in this movie are Aunt Jesse and Father. And Gig Young as usual. When did Doris fall so 'desperately in love' with Barney? Otherwise it would be a lovely movie if Frank just sang!
½ May 12, 2016
Young at Heart is a decent film. It is about the lives and romances of three sisters in a musical family. Doris Day and Frank Sinatra give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Gordon Douglas did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance.
½ March 8, 2016
What is God's name is this!!!! I wanted to review a MOVIE that isn't even listed here. What is Flixster pulling?
November 23, 2013
remake of the far better 'four daughters'
June 13, 2013
Seems like a good moive
½ September 24, 2012
The rain wiper scene remains a truly disturbing vision
½ September 18, 2012
It's really more a drama with music. The acting is superb.
April 15, 2012
This is a nice film that really shows the simple side of life during the times it portrayed. No TV, home-made music and real family ties. It has some sad parts but I give this a good review for Doris Day. I'm not a Sinatra fan, but have to admit, his voice was awesome.
December 13, 2011
Another great Doris Day flick.
½ July 5, 2011
Why did someone who's firmly on the record as being AGAINST rapping grannies put this movie on her Netflix queue? I don't know. The movie is mostly about making senior citizens look adorable, so if that's your thing, you'll like it. As for me, the fact that I cried should not be taken as a blanket endorsement. I do hope there's a chorus like this that I can join when I'm old. Actually, if there's one I can join now, let me know.
½ May 10, 2011
This was a very cute film. It surpised me and I really enjoyed it.
February 5, 2011
Loved watching this. The detail that went into these romantic comedy-musicasl was incredible. And it was not only MGM who were making musicals in the 50s. Day and Sinatra are great along with Malone in an early role. Great support cast and some nice exteriors. Recommended antidote to the recession!!
½ December 27, 2010
A solid good movie, with good performances by Frank Sinatra and Doris Day. It truly is charming to see how the story all plays out. At first, you don't really think it is going to work. Doris and Sinatra's character's are both complete opposites. For example Doris sings music and comes from the perfect family with a wealthy home. Sinatra is practically on the verge of becoming a mobster. What with a stiff gat and cigarette and all. His voice is always hoarse and undertone, but when he sings you understand how he must express his feelings through his job by playing piano at a bar. The two character's worlds collide, and after a big love triangle is finally resolved, the two end up as lovers. The result is marvelous as the two have very good singing voices and can carry the movie on it's way. Sinatra is downright perfect as Barney(being as he'd already won his Oscar the year before for From Here to Eternity). Everyone else plays in fairly well, all mixing in for a good movie. A feel good movie for the whole family, I'd say.
May 22, 2010
a classy turn from the legendary Sinatra as a man who thinks he's constantly down on his luck and all the jokes he pulls about fate/destiny being against him are well scripted and some truly sublime vocals from Day add a sassiness to such a great film!
½ April 22, 2010
The rain wiper scene remains a truly disturbing vision
March 7, 2010
Love this movie. Kudos all around.
½ March 7, 2010
LOL, this movie got the wrong trailer xD
½ December 31, 2009
A brooding tale of three musically-gifted daughters and their star-crossed plans for marriage.

A remake of Four Daughters (1938) -- with one daughter thankfully removed without consequence here -- the downbeat plot hardly matches the bright kodachrome packaging.

Lorrie Tuttle (the always-sunny Doris Day) shuns the respectable Alex (Gig Young) for troubled songwriter Barney Sloan (a pall-stricken Frank Sinatra) to predictably dour results. Sinatra and Day sing well, and the title track is a keeper but the final outcomes are flawed.

That Lorrie marries the morose Barney is incongruous enough; but the fact he survives his suicide attempt for a fairy tale ending is completely against the run of play, and difficult to swallow for a film whose soundtrack will likely prove more durable than the proposition itself.
December 23, 2009
this is a really realistic take on everything for a musical... in a good way. starving and depressed is a good look for sinatra. he's got the cheekbones for it. plus theres the way the cigarette dangles from his lips.. mMM
½ September 17, 2009
Sinatra at his most gorgeous.