Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon Reviews

• Jan 20, 2019

I do not understand why it has only 51% as of January 19th, 2019. I think this is a pretty cool movie. it is setup to be a mystery with Dee being a Sherlock Holmes like savant. He has the deducting abilities much like Holmes. This movie also has so great over-the-top martial arts action. A tremendous amount of fantasy elements. The story is very thin, in spite the effort to have a mystery, but it still is a very cool and fun movie.

• Oct 06, 2016

The best part was when all the nobles drank bowls of piss and not the giant Manta Ray.

• Oct 10, 2015

On a par with the film it is a prequel to. Looks good with a nice fantasy storyline.

• Oct 08, 2015

This film is as nuts as it sounds, it's the prequel to Detective Dee and Mystery of the Phantom Flame(you know that film)..it is ridiculous fun though especially if you like Chinese fantasy detective films with CGI Wire Fu(better than normal wire fu) and has Sea monsters in it(better than regular monsters).So if you are into Chinese fantasy detective films with CGI Wire Fu(better than normal wire fu) and has Sea monsters in it(better than regular monsters) like me, then this is for you.

• Sep 27, 2015

While it was better than everyone expected it to be, young detective Dee suffers from subpar acting, unrelatable characters and an overdose of terrible cgi!

• Jul 26, 2015

The idea of a who-done-it set in a fantasy version of historical China sounds intriguing, but I kind of hate this film. It's long, needlessly convoluted and has some of the worst CGI I have ever seen. Large sections of the film look like bad video game cut scenes.

• Jul 08, 2015

Why do you think it's your turn to speak? The Imperial Family are having issues with strange murders around their village; truth be told, their own corruption led to the strange serial killer and being that plagues them. The first imperial police force is formed and the first case goes to a young Detective named Dee. He will have to be very resourceful to work his way through the family's corruption to uncover the truth behind the murders. "Can't you see how strangely the sail moves?" Tsui Hark, director of Once Upon a Time in China I-IV, Dragon Inn, The Banquet, Zu Warriors, Double Team, Knock Off, and Seven Swords, delivers Young Detective Dee. The storyline for this picture is dreadful. The settings are nice but the action scenes are very inconsistent. The cast delivers below average performances and includes Carina Lau, Mark Chao, Angelababy, and Kun Chen. "You mustn't harm innocent women." I came across this on Netflix and decided to give it a viewing. I have seen the first one but thought it was mediocre and this is even a step down from there. Overall, this is not a great addition to the genre and I would recommend skipping this. "It's bird tongue tea." Grade: F

• Nov 10, 2014

I swear. Tsui Hark must surely be China's answer to Steven Spielberg in his heyday. A ripping great yarn and stunning production. Why oh why though does the lead actress Angela Yeung Wing take on the real life stage name of Angelababy?

• Oct 06, 2014

Great fun romp with some beautiful action scenes.

Great fun romp with some beautiful action scenes.

• Sep 05, 2014

graphic is interesting while the story is pretty fun to watch.

graphic is interesting while the story is pretty fun to watch.