Young Doctors in Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Young Doctors in Love Reviews

April 25, 2013
Absolutely hysterical for all time.
October 16, 2012
Like to turn your brain off and laugh at some goofy stuff? This could fall in that category. I saw it a long time ago and still remember a few very funny things.
"You want me to stop swearing? OK. I don't give a fuck about that." Paraphrased of course from Joe Pantaliano as a cross-dressed/in-disguise Italian mobster with latent homosexual tendencies.
Head surgeon Dabney Coleman to Michael McKean: I hear you're quite an asshole. I like that.
Harry Dean Stanton as pathologist tasting ALL the fluids of the human body. McKean fakes him into drinking piss.
Pamela Reed as head nurse: Which assistant nurse would you like, Doctor? Dabney: The one with the tits. Pamela (sighs): OK . . . Cindy.
Lots of stars in this film.

btw The above is entirely from memory having watched it 20+ years ago. I will re-watch it just to see what I forgot (and correct the above)
November 13, 2011
Garry Marshall may have given us some great TV comedy his foye into film wasn't always as successful. Young Doctors in Love is one of those cases. Easily R rated sitcom material the jokes are hit & mostly miss even sorta scrapping that Zucker level that will make you groan instead of cracking a smile. It's one of those films that you throw as much against the wall & see what sticks. It's very lucky to have a good cast that does more w/ the material then it rightfully deserves. Personally I got the most enjoyment out of Harry Dean Stanton, Hector Elizondo & Dabney Coleman. They are really the comic gold in this film that tries so hard to win you over. It's a strange mix of dead pan & zany comedy w/ a mix of romance that doesn't always work. Could have stood to go through another rewrite but the sugar boobies were appreciated especially from Coleman's Xmas gift from his staff...I wish that someone thought as much of me to give me such a holiday gift
½ August 30, 2011
Very funny, I hate to admit that because I told my parents that I knew I was going to hate it. Yes I judged it based on the cover and I was wrong... Okay?! :D
July 28, 2011
Michael McKean and Sean Young are natural and poised and hold expressions that are interesting to the camera ... And although Sean Young only has to play a luminous mannequin, she's better than Ali MacGraw as a sentimental terminal case and more lifelike than Sean Young as an android secretary. There are a few good performers in here, but the gags are in a weird place between Police Academy and Airplane 2, and the movie is faking being madcap -- it's been cautiously cobbled together. Some of the better actors get too animated once the spotlight inexplicably shifts on them, as though the zaniness of the whole movie depends on them shining like comic stars. A young Taylor Negron plays it soft, weaves in between the dumb jokes they wrote him and comes off like a pro.
June 11, 2011
This movie made me the surgeon I am today!!!
June 11, 2011
this movie was instrumental in making me the surgeon that i am today.
November 27, 2010
The success of "Airplane" in 1980 wasn't all good because it gave other less-talented filmmakers the idea that they too could make a similar spoof. This was one of the resulting films, and it's extremely scattershot that misses a lot more than it hits. It's also proof that the Zucker brothers and Jim Abrams style of filmmaking is a lot harder than it looks.
This is the feature film debut of Garry Marshall who would go on to make blockbusters like "Pretty Woman", but his inexperience shows through here. The script is a mess, and there's barely a plot. For most of the running time, this feels like an overlong "Saturday Night Live" sketch. And the casting is another mixed bag with Michael McKean playing straight man and Sean Young looking like an actual movie star before she came down with a case of the crazies in real life. But it's Dabney Coleman who steals the show. In a film without alot to offer, I always welcomed his appearance.
There are a lot of cameos from famous soap stars, but it adds little to the film if you're not a fan of the daytime dramas. There was a time when the movie almost won me over by its short-lived goofy charm, but it only sustains that for about a half hour. The next sixty minutes are lethally boring and the jokes bomb fast and furious. The movie isn't raunchy enough to work on that level, but it's not good-natured enough for kids even though a lot of it seems to be written by children. "Young Doctors in Love" pulls out all the stops but it just can't deliver.
½ November 23, 2010
A satire about American soap operas.
October 7, 2010
Some very humourous moments in this silly parady of hospital drama's of the day. Michael McKean and Sean Young have their moments as does Dabney Coleman and Hector Elizondo but for me it's Michael Richards who steals the show as the bumbling hit man who goes through hell at the hospital trying to kill his intended target.
½ August 9, 2009
There were some funny parts but for a movie that was supposed to be slapstick, they were few and far between and the whole subplot with the mob and the hitman was extremely unfunny and stupid. At least Sean Young proved she could do it right in "Fatal Instinct" and "Ace Ventura".
½ November 20, 2008
Not funny...very lame
July 25, 2008
It was ridiculously funny. Pure, blissful silliness.
June 13, 2008
I laughed more than I expected to... sure, some of the gags fell way flat, and the humor was definitely of the low-brow sort, but there were also moments that I found genuinely funny. Michael McKean was wonderful and ridiculously adorable, but that's to be expected.
June 5, 2008
There is one good scene, where they all shake hands. And there is lots of gratuitous and completely unnecessary nudity. Aside from that, there's not much.

If you like "Airplane" - type humour, you'll get a hoot out of this.
May 28, 2008
Spoof of classic soap operas centering around interns on the midnight watch on New Years eve.
December 6, 2007
A definite one to remember next time you hit the video shop. Great cameos, great gags. Funny, funny, funny.
½ November 16, 2007
Loved this movie as a teen... my brother and I used to laugh out loud... kind of dated now.
October 15, 2007
I can't remember much from this movie, but at the time I thought it was funny.