Young Guns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Young Guns Reviews

½ March 30, 2014
I saw this in the theatre and wanted to grow up to be a gunfighter, think the breakfast club in the Wild West
February 17, 2014
Good fun western... Looks a tiny bit dated now.
February 9, 2014
One of my favorite movies growing up
January 26, 2014
It was OK - just not great.
September 29, 2013
Acting , Story telling , Music and the fact its based on actual real life events makes it amazing , Emilio Estevez is amazing as William H Bonney.
½ September 27, 2013
Really wanted to like this one. Basically a ranch owner is murdered and the crew go out to get revenge on his killer. This movie has not aged very well. The acting in parts is a bit wooden, the deaths are extremely corny, and it just seems a bit off for a western. It is nice to see all the guys in a younger role working together, but this is a case where the sum does not equal its parts. Thought Warren G did take a great line from the move and made it a hot song.
½ August 15, 2013
Like Billy the Kid, I probably take more pleasure in this killing than I should.
½ July 28, 2013
If the producers had the awareness to avoid injecting the 80's into this movie, it may have been good and timeless. But they didn't and it's not.
½ July 27, 2013
The 80's was just not a good time to superimpose modern culture on a western. I'm sure people enjoyed this movie at the time (I did), but it is nearly unwatchable now.
July 25, 2013
my favorite western.
July 15, 2013
love this movie, mainly because it is a true story
June 12, 2013
own it love it what else to say.
June 1, 2013
Nothing great but certainly passable.
May 28, 2013
A great western movie that should not be taken to seriously with great performances from Estevez this movie is a great western showing some true and some fictional accounts of the Lincoln county War.
½ May 28, 2013
Good for a western. Still wanting to see an amazing western though. Aparently the sequel is better and i will soon watch tombstone. Good actors in this movie.
May 20, 2013
One of the best westerns ever made. The cast is just incredible. Emilio was outstanding!
May 15, 2013
i great movie for your collection
April 30, 2013
No classic, and pretty uneven with some flat, weird bits, and the sequel (while sillier) seems more consistent and energetic. But this has a sensational cast (and not just the brat pack leads) which pepper this with lots of great moments. The peyote scene is hilarious. The thing I'll most remember about this movie though is climbing up this really high, precarious ladder on the high, high stairs of the Hoyts Regent marble staircase to change the poster. That was about the only thing about that job I didn't love.
½ April 11, 2013
One of the best westerns, second only to Young Guns 2!!! A great cast here, with a nice updated score to serve the youthful leads and the action.

Estevez flat out steals the show here, but everyone is good. Even the bad guys get some juicy roles to dig into.

Jack Palance is a GREAT bad guy, and look really hard and you will find a young Tom Cruise cameo in the final gun fight.

A lot of good action scenes to keep the pace going as well.
April 9, 2013
The Western Genre Had Died In The 70's, Although Efforts To Revive It Failed, Most Turned Out Quite Enjoyable & Had A Pretty Decent Stab At It Anyway. Director Christopher Cain's Young Guns Falls Into This Catagory, With A Great Sense Of Direction, Storytelling, Script, Action Sequences & Performances From It's Leading Cast, It's Sad That 4 Out Of The 6 Outlaws In The Film Are Easily Recognisable As The Other 2 Give In Great Performances. The Film Focuses On The Rise Of Billy The Kid (Emilio Estevez) & His Gang Of Outlaws (Kiefer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, Dermot Mulroney & Casey Siemaszko) As They Take On Corrupt Banker & Politician Lawrence G. Murphy (Jack Palance). An Enjoyable Western Which Gives A Decent Bash At The Revival Of The Genre. Also Features Western Veteran Brian Kieth & Son Of John Wayne, Patrick Wayne As Pat Garrett, The Man Who Eventually Hunts The Kid Down.